1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Runoff at NCM Motor Sports Park.

Discussion in 'General' started by onepusher, Nov 22, 2014.

1. helicopter99

helicopter99 Well-Known Member

Agreed

2. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I agree also. I too rode there last month and with some changes the track will be fine for racing. The management seemed very eager to receive feedback so that's a positive start. I don't think it will happen next year but hopefully the year after, it would be nice to add another track close to home.

3. hotnail

hotnail Well-Known Member

Layout looks extraordinary but walls are aweful close in many spots. Hopefully the realestate is there to move things around a bit! Sweet track!

4. jd96

jd96 Well-Known Member

That doesn't even look that bad compared to what castrol raceway did up here.

5. CarrMoto

CarrMoto Well-Known Member

What is the definition of a safe wall on the outside of a track?

I'll start. If a rider were to leave the racing surface, a wall should only be placed at a point after where the average rider could safely come to a stop using his rear brake.

I'm not saying I agree with this. I just threw it out there to get started.

6. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Why, yes.... yes it would be.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Distance to a wall depends on a lot of things really, corner speed, angle of the wall, material the barrier is made from, runoff type (grass/gravel/asphalt). Technically no walls are safe but sooner or later you have to have a barrier to keep race vehicles on the property if nothing else.

You also have to look at what's on the other side of the runoff - i.e. will race vehicles possibly come back on to another portion of the track or hit something more dangerous than a wall or tire wall.

I'd agree room to stop beforehand is great, however I wouldn't use the back brake only when running off at speed as the line, can't think of many places that would hold true at the end of even a smallish straight. My main concern is room enough for the rider (not the bike necessarily) to roll/slide to a stop before any impact if they crash while negotiating the corner.

8. CarrMoto

CarrMoto Well-Known Member

Gotcha. You look at it more as if after the tumble has started.

9. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

I was watching the construction of that track beginning of the year going up to the museum and knew it looked good but no idea THAT good! Looks like some serious places to stretch the legs on bike and cars and a lot more elevation changes than I had thought. Very nice!

10. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

My wife and I both rode the track last month at a Private day and the management of the track is very interested in hearing suggestions about making the track safer for motorcycles, and in fact will be doing work over the winter months to facilitate that. I personally really enjoyed the track and look forward to returning there next year.

11. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

The 1 part of the track that has me scratching my head is the "sinkhole". We didn't run it and I'm not sure who will. It has a large and sudden drop off elevation change mid-corner. The mid-corner aspect of the hill crest makes it different from others like the Corkscrew.

Cars will lose the rear and spin easily. An older 911 might be next to impossible, perhaps why they put it on the Corvette track lol. Motorcycles would have a massive pucker factor every lap. Perhaps Karts can use it? It looks real cool and was fun on a bicycle :)

Best lap time I've seen with evidence was 1:54 on a GPS lap timer. This was Monday after the weekend of track days and racing. The neatest experience was sliding along a track so smooth I thought I lost my knee puck and was on the suit Velcro.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  12. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Yes that Monday was kick friggin Ass...:beer:
    [​IMG]

13. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

That poor bike looks to be screaming for mercy. :D

Sorry Marc, couldn't resist. LOL

14. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

It's for sale!! Buy it John!

15. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

Man, I finally got rid of my last bike this year. Going to see Scott at Barber yesterday started to bring back good memories of track days again, but then remembering the perfect day at Barber yesterday compared with the 100+ degree days sweating my ass off at Road A and Little Tally cured me of that quickly. That, and my self employed insurance rates. :D

One day I'd like to get back at it again but going to be a bit. Getting something new?

16. jt21

jt21 JFugginT

yup.. that was Dustin Boyd on his 636..

17. ped

ped Banned

1:54? I'd really like to see it. People I was there with in roughly the same league as dustin were doing more like 2:04's..a few 2:03's. I've yet to see a video faster than a 2:03 and those are from front running experts on 1k's. Pretty much all A group videos I have seen, and I've watched all I can find, are high :06's to :12's.

18. dsmitty37

dsmitty37 Well-Known Member

Wish Watkins Glen would rip out all of the armco...too much to be motorcycle friendly.

19. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

Here are the race results from the first weekend the track opened to motorcycles (Race results towards bottom of page after the trackday lap times):
    http://midwestcaferacing.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/NCM-Sun-Complete.pdf

I'm a back marker 1k (ZX-10R) expert compared to the fast guys and I did a 2:01 there that weekend, and on beat-up/torn slicks, completely fresh to the track. For comparison on my pace, I do a 1:34-1:35 at Barber and Road Atlanta. Sorry no video posted up though, I don't think I had my camera mounted.

Most fun track I've ridden though, hoping to go back there with WERA some time.

20. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

It's completely possible. I was there last weekend, no video, but was running 2:03's and 4's on worn out takeoffs from Tally and didn't get that many free laps since I was coaching. That is on a 750. I think with a few more laps and fresher tires sub 2 is entirely possible on my 750. I'm far from the fastest guy out there, I do 34's and 35's at Barber.