1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RIP Mr. Limbaugh

Discussion in 'General' started by kevincg, Feb 17, 2021.

1. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

He was a major reason why we have the divisions that we do . We need each other , we are all in this together, We are “ ALL” Americans!

ScottieDucati, LossPrev, Jed and 6 others like this.
  2. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

The repeal of Fairness a Doctrine is directly responsible for the growth of partisan media. If it had been left in place then every minute of a show like Limbaugh’s would have been followed b equal airtime for an opposing view on the same station. What Rush was able to do was find a formula that capitalized on that regulatory change and attracted advertisers. That was what he contributed to the media landscape.

Jed likes this.
  3. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

Even in his death he was right about people like you. A quick Google search would have saved you that embarrassment.

"There’s a quote out there that I first saw it in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch last week that I somehow, some time ago, defended slavery and started cracking jokes about it. And, you know, you say a lot of things in the course of 15 hours a week, over the course of 21 years. We’ve gone back, we have looked at everything we have. There is not even an inkling that any words in this quote are accurate. It’s outrageous, but it’s totally predictable.

It’s being repeated by people who have never listened to this program, they certainly didn’t hear it said themselves because it was never said."

-Rush Limbaugh

4. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

A complete fabrication.

jd41 and Dragginass like this.
  5. Christopher Graybosch

Christopher Graybosch Well-Known Member

I’ve seen people say worse on here. .

Watch out; we got a bunch of saints and Angels over here . There’s only two good things about his death. He’s no longer in pain and where he will end up. I don’t want another vacation tho, that mongo guy is harsh

jd41 likes this.
  6. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

So you agree then?

7. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

Yes, I do. It would be a very different media landscape if that rule had been left in place. Probably shouldn't take this discussion point much further though.

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Not Papa, he's French.

and I think Matt 418 is from some eastern european country that may no longer exist. Had lots of vowels and a few Xs and Zs in it's name, shit if I can remember right now. :D

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    Rising Sun likes this.
  9. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

:crackup:

jd41 likes this.
  10. Jed

Jed mellifluous

The 24 hour news cycle wouldn't exist with the Fairness Doctrine in place. I'm all for bringing it back.

motoboy likes this.
  11. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

He definetely was the driver of creating talk radio on AM radio. When he started AM was dying. Sure there are cases of talkers but he definetely kicked off an era. Imus was a shock jock, totally different genre. As was Art Bell whose genre was aliens.

Love him or hate him his impact was obvious. Oh and the level of hate/love he generated is evidence of it.

In the end though RIP and condolences to his friends and family.

12. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

Here is a lil history some may want to read if their interested.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FCC_fairness_doctrine

The modern era of the "Division" of America was heavily influenced by this landmark ruling.

The post above that states "WE ARE ALL AMERICAN" I wholeheartedly agree with , w and is the the ONLY WAY to a path of ensuring a future of our great country.
    Radio broadcasters/and lobbyists working for the parties siezed upon this opportunity to set agendas through "valid and fake "news ...it was unfortunate.
    A I said I was in my early 20s and saw right through much of the retoric being preached.
    30 years later.... Some of it admittedly has come to fruition but at a great cost of division aided by the abolition of the fairness act.
    Like many or even most of us he wasn't really an innovator he was just a voice.
    Puppet maybe too strong of a word, but definitely he was used as tool/weapon call it what you will...but he was damned efficient...no doubt bout it.
    He did his job like few others could.

13. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

The media was ALWAYS partisan. The Fairness doctrine was the government restricting/managing free political speech.

A perfect example is the Tet offensive when there was only 3 outlets and a tiny collection of papers with national exposure (more the AP/UP than a paper in particular). The talking heads said we lost as beat on it. Fact is that was a last gasp attack in a war we were WINNING and the attack was repulsed. However the 'fair' press lied. Oh and the biggest problem now is they cannot control all the channels like then.

14. The Todd

The Todd It's 'The Todd'

What a loss. We all go sometime. I hope he didn't suffer much.

Who will take over his audience now?

15. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Crazy how brainwashed people can be. Literally every single one of the pundits from Rush to Rachel Maddow is peddling the same product: Division.

The impact of Rush’s career is undeniable, but like all the rest of the talking heads, almost exclusively negative.

I see no point in celebrating his career as though he made some grand contribution to society because it’s dishonest.

I see no point in celebrating his death because it’s deplorable.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Seriously you people are just nuts. There were tons of talk shows on AM radio. Hell, talk radio (sports in large part) is why AM still exists, and it sure as hell wasn't Rush that started that shit or kept it going. Good lord it's like you don't understand there is a world outside of your own little one...

Photo likes this.
  17. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Yeah, but it requires 4WD.... (reportedly)

18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

That shit don't work on ice.

Photo likes this.
  19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nope but it kicks ass when you're cruising in the median or on the shoulder passing people in the shiny lanes sliding backwards. Oddly they didn't seem as amused as I was :D

20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Funny when you pass some dope on a rope slipping and sliding a F250 with your Mazda because you were bored and wanted ice cream about an hour ago. Drive in the unplowered snow and not on the nice shiny iced up road.

But!!!! We have a lot of Gold Lexus and Hondas and those f@ckers can't drive in the dry. With ice and snow, it's like they are trying to hit you. :crackup:

oh, fix the crackup smiley thing, it's busted. :D