1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Revolting Nelson or Revolt At Nelson?

Discussion in 'General' started by John29, Sep 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

i wasnt going to say anything, but can you maybe get the railroad tracks at talladega moved back about 30 ft. :moon:

2. mad brad

mad brad Guest

i've always found it amazing that people throw their safety in the shitter over some wood and a little money.

slow the fuck down if you feel it's not safe.

weird.

3. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Guys - in the grand scheme of things, riders not riding helps, but doesn't force anyone to do anything in terms of changes. I think a concerted, *positive* approach to them about this would at least do something to help get things moving in terms of runoff. The Nelson owners would be receptive to that.

I'm glad Jensen and company made a statement. I myself have seen enough people run out of room through T1 alone. And not to beat a dead horse, but my shoulder surgery resulted in the ruts in T1 throwing me off when I finally had to touch the brakes and start to turn the bike in the grass, or run right into the tire wall. Temme, and others have gone right into the wall.

Yes T4 has better run off. But T1, T2, and the carousel do not. If you go down in the carousel (the exit specifically), there *are* going to be problems.
    The kink has good run off, but like Larry said - that turn can ruin your day, it's so sketchy. I've seen it claim 6-7 riders this year alone. And yeah, racers can decide to run the pace they want to. But come on, like that happens when the green flag drops. It shouldn't come to that when it comes to track safety.

All in all - I hope something can be done because it is a fun track. I do cringe at the thought of running 5's anywhere around there and trying to keep the bike upright if you have to run off track.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2006
  4. Roach

Roach Yamaha Catapult Tester

I offer that it's not just 2 people on the property, as I personally know a few who aren't on the property (including myself) for the same reasons.

I haven't been there in almost 6 years. And I don't think I or they (not just Jenson & Co. - see above) are "Stupid" for making a personal decision about how and where we wish to risk our lives, Thank You. You may not agree with our decision, but I would at least hope for you to respect it. Racing is dangerous. I know this, as does everyone. No need to run places where you personally feel is past your risk threshold.

- Roach

Last edited: Sep 9, 2006
  5. Larry Denning

Larry Denning Well-Known Member

No, I was only referring to the said runoff at Nelson Ledges. Which does not seem safe.

6. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

That is the bottomline.

ekraft84 and Larry have hit the nail on the head.

What WERA and the riders do with this info is up to them.

Personally, I went back to Nelson in 2004 (WERA riders' school) after an 18 year hiatus and I was continually saying to myself that the place was a tragic tire wall impact accident waiting to happen. It was no longer fun.

I have no interest in returning and I tell my racing and track day buds about the run off issue.

7. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Son, you're gonna be busier than a clap doc in a whorehouse.

8. Repo Man

Repo Man 50 years of Yamaha GP!!

Hell, back in the good old days we raced there at night.

In the rain. :eek:

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Roach - when did I say anyone making the choice for themselves is stupid?

Larry - do you choose to run Nelson when there is money here?

10. BHarris

BHarris Cheering on my #5

well, i'm not trying to get in the middle of anything, but why can't the air fences be used in area's like those, because a tire wall can do just as much damage as a concrete wall... just wondering

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It can quite easily. Once we get other areas covered that are more likely to result in hurt riders I plan on trying to buy some for here.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Also the tires here are piled loose tires which actually do give a lot more than a normal bolted together tire wall, they are around the same as hitting haybales (not the perfect soft straw we dream of but the wet/heavy bales that are reality) which is why we don't do bales here. Air fence once we can will be better.

13. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

crickets

14. Roach

? Asked and answered on the same page.

15. Roach

Post #78. Unless you meant that only Nick's comments were stupid?

16. Geoff Doyer

Geoff Doyer Well-Known Member

I can only see two scenarios here. Either someone got paid or someone got snowed. Which one is it?

17. Heavy-Dee

Heavy-Dee Well-Known Member

So basically Mongo I interpret your POV as "the walls aren't an issue until you crash, so don't crash".

?!?

HD

18. mad brad

mad brad Guest

19. R Hood

R Hood Go NG Bulldogs

<slowing down> Now if we could just convince the boys in Moto GP to slow down, maybe they could go out and qualify in the rain at Sepang. I mean after all, it shouldn't be too dangerous to qualify in the rain as long as everyone rides within their own ability, right?:up: :rolleyes:

20. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

How about agree on no passing from T1-the kink. So T13 (I think) and coming onto the straight are ok'd for passing? :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.