1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Revolting Nelson or Revolt At Nelson?

Discussion in 'General' started by John29, Sep 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lizard 1

Lizard 1 Well-Known Member

Were you running 1;06s or 1:05s? The way I understand it is that the times are going to be so fast that the speeds are beyond the safety of the track itself as a whole - not just one turn, etc.

Good for the top guys to protest. If you have the AMA stating the tracks like Road Atlanta are unsafe for certain reasons, maybe it is time for the clubs below AMA Pro level to rethink their stances on the tracks they visit...

It will also make the tracks consider upgrades focused on safety or they will loose revenue as a result...

2. fzrkidd

fzrkidd Well-Known Member

So did he expect to see improvements at the track in a two week time period? I'm not saying he is wrong, the conditions are less than perfect, but why go out and set a track record one week, then boycott a race two weeks later?

3. See, Jenson and the Vesrah boys agree with my assesment. Oh and BTW you didnt see me and Denny run off because you were too far behind:Poke:

4. Strick

Strick Good to be king

He answered that question on the bottom of the last page.;)

5. Larry Denning

Larry Denning Well-Known Member

Rob didn't expect any improvements in the last 2 weeks.
    That was his first time at "the Ledges".
    He didn't go there 2 weeks ago to set a track record.
    He went there for Suzuki contingency $, rode as hard as he hard as needed to win the races and happened to break the record. He only beat Trey's record by less than .10 .
    But that weekend he rode at his comfort level and felt unsafe.
    Came back 2 weeks later and felt that the pace needed to be competitive this weekend. Probably 04's or low 5's would be Very unsafe. Other's agreed.

It is damn near impossible to race someone and make safe passes at Nelson's when your running 6's.
    The kink will ruin your life.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Couple of points - first, Jensen never contacted WERA or the track about any concerns after his race here a few weeks ago. I have heard he made comments that he'd never come back however he did so - just long enough to convince his competition not to ride and then he left to go make money elsewhere with his points leads secure.

Running here is NO different than running at any other time where the track surface is slower than the bikes - you as riders must slow down. If it's raining do you go into a turn as fast as you would in the dry? Of course not. Trying to say that the pace of 1:05's is too fast is fine - then don't run 1:05's. You can't run them in the rain and you can't them in the bumps so don't run them. Basically we have some riders who can't control themselves enough to ride the track they're on and the conditions that exist - they're not saying it's too dangerous to race but that's it's too dangerous to race fast - well guess what, all tracks are too dangerous to race past the point of traction for your machinery.

I am sorry they feel this way but if they're afraid of not controlling themselves while they are on track and are afraid they'll be making dangerous moves around each other then by all means I prefer they do not race.

7. fzrkidd

Got interupted in the middle of typing.......took me a while to post it. I started posting it was page one, I posted it on page three!:D

8. Roach

Roach Yamaha Catapult Tester

There used to be a huge pothole 3 ft from the gators that they would fill (and it would come back apart every weekend). Did they ever properly fix it?

- Roach

9. KovzR6

KovzR6 Well-Known Member

i think they repaved it (this year was my first time there)... but there is still a dip right in the middle of it.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yes that pothole is fixed as are a huge number of other issues that have existed in the past, including the gators which have all been yanked out.

11. fzrkidd

I understand the level of competition would dictate a faster pace. I also didn't realize that it was his first time there.
    I'd never pass in the kink either(right after that under brakeing is a whole different story though), and I only run 15's.
    I think it's pretty hard for some of us to imagine how much faster 10 seconds a lap really is.:wow:

12. fzrkidd

I don't so much notice a pot hole or anything as much as the surface drops right there in the middle of the kink.

13. Roach

Apparently they paved over the hole then.

- Roach

14. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

but in their defense, what should they do, get together and say hey, lets just run some 1:06's and see who wins? i mean, after all, its still a race.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

There was a hole, there is no longer a hole.

BTW - the whole T4 inside thing did increase the runoff in T3 for those of you who missed it. It also increased the view lines through 4 which is an improvement.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What do you do in the rain?

17. Roach

What'd they do, move the treeline back as well? That would make sense for viewlines (and cars who prob have a much higher chance of making it there if they run off in T3).

- Roach

18. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

At Nelson??? Sit back have a beer and watch.....no way for racing there in the rain. The guys that did have more balls then me

19. Roach

Go as fast as possible and try not to fall down. Ever notice lots of people fall down in the rain?

- Roach

20. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

your analogy works if we're talking only the track surface and the bumps, but not when you're talking about the proximity of the walls.

yes you slow down when it rains to keep traction, you dont slow down so when you hit a wall it hurts less.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.