1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacing my F250 5.4. Diesel or not? Help!

Discussion in 'General' started by grady anderson, Apr 17, 2017.

1. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

Diesels aren't getting slightly better mpg, they are getting a lot better mpgs!
    I have no problem getting 20 mpg when not towing- the pic is from 2015 when I bought mine 20150803_141938_1479653715580_resized.jpg

2. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

I've also been kinda looking for a decent 6.2 CCSB. Problem is, they all seem to be work trucks. I actually like the rubber floors, but I hate the cheap cloth seats, no center console, etc. That, and they all seem to be white, former fleet vehicles. I hate white trucks.

3. borislav

borislav Well-Known Member

I accept that you don't!:D

4. grady anderson

grady anderson Well-Known Member

Could one of you diesel owners tell me why you leave them running when you go into 7-11?
    I have never seen a gas powered truck left running but see diesels all the time.
    :Pop:

5. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Did you ever replace turbos and injecters on gasses? I sure have on diesels. I own 3 diesel trucks at work and 6 gas. I think the diesels cost more to maintain.

TurboBlew likes this.
  6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

FL has a law about leaving your keys inside a vehicle. But yeah I always leave diesels running.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nope but know plenty of people who have. Know plenty who have hundreds of thousands on diesels without replacing them too.

8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

800 miles with <50mph avg? :D Going on Sunday drives in the right lane?
    Didnt ford claim great MPG from the ecoboost truck(s) and when you read the fine print the avg speed the MPG was calculated was at 40mph...lol.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  9. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

Look up your vehicle's average speed and post it. This wasn't 820 trip mileage but the total miles on the truck when the pic was taken i.e. probably 60% highway and 40% city.

10. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

11. gapman789

I still say fuel mileage is a moot point when you're spending $40-70k. Unless you're using it/a diesel for business and traveling 50k miles a year.

If you drive 200 miles a week and diesel is $2.50 a gallon and you get 2o mpg....you'll spend $25.00 in fuel.

If gas is $2.00/gal, and you get 12 mpg, you'll spend $33.32 in fuel.

I obviously used round numbers and there's a good chance my numbers are wrong. ;)

Razr likes this.
  12. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

I've owned a few gas trucks and suvs with V8s, including a 99 f150 back in the day with the 5.4 which couldn't even average 10 mpg and on a good day could probably get 14 mpg highway.

Diesels are not marginally more efficient but significantly more efficient- my 2015 srw Ram gets way better mpgs than the 2011 V6 Tacoma it replaced while literally being capable of towing 4 times more and is 100 more comfortable on the long trips.
    I didn't buy it to save money on fuel but getting 12.5 mpg while towing a 10k lbs trailer isn't a bad thing- a gasser will not even get 6 mpg with that trailer behind it.

13. gapman789

My Excursion has a 44 gallon tank. Bring on the miles!

Pulling an empty 2017 7 x 16 enclosed trailer a few weeks ago, I was getting 11.5 mpg on the 125 mile highway trip, 70-75 mph.

That's what the computer thingy showed.

14. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

If and when my wife lets me get back on two wheels, I'm going to put a gigantic auxiliary tank on the truck- fueling up once before the trip and being done must be awesome.

15. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

One of the best features of my 6.0 Excursion. 40 gallon fuel tank, that's really 44 gal, if your patient. 700 mile plus trips, depending on how fast I drive, on one one tank.

16. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

I
    ive got a 70 gal gravity feed on my mine. 1000 miles towing and 1500 empty

masshole likes this.
  17. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

Harder to start up, diesels take a lot of battery juice to turn over and it puts a strain on them.

Diesels are also a lean burning engine by design. They are glorified air compressors and they compress the same anount of air every stroke regardless of how much fuel is injected or throttle position. Therefore a diesel only injects just enough fuel to stay running when at idle. A gas motor can lean out to maybe 15:1 air/fuel a diesel will lean out to 60:1 or more. So it's easier to leave a disel running and not wasting much fuel to keep the AC running.

Also that 11-12mpg I quoted was for 5-7k lb open trailers. If you run some big stock trailer or enclosed you will def be in the single digits.

18. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

Ummm, wtf? Does this have to do with the baby?

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's what I got with a 7.3l diesel in the late 90's. Towing a fully loaded 48' gooseneck trailer... Empty it was 20+

My Dodge got 20+ as well but was hamstrung with the 4.10's Could have gone 3.73 or even better and still towed great but even better mileage.

20. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

I guess that's covered in "everything will change" after kids- tough to prioritize elsewhere at the moment.