1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacing my F250 5.4. Diesel or not? Help!

Discussion in 'General' started by grady anderson, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

Mine smells like french fries all the time.

2. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

Yet another reason to buy new.

3. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Because you think everyone wants to spend $60k-$80k on a truck? I bought new in 03@$42k. That will likely be the last new truck I ever buy

4. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

I would argue that for the $60-80k for a new diesel truck you get some serious bang for your buck.
    $80k for a Yukon Denali or $90k for an Escalade in the full size luxury suv segment is where it gets a little unreasonable IMHO.

5. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

You can argue it, but doesn't make it true.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  6. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Just bought an '05 Ram with the 5.9l. Would have preferred to find another '03 so it would be 100% pre-emissions, but they're rare to find and people who know what they have don't give them up.

Not a chance in hell I'd buy a piss tank diesel.

7. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

8. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

Ehhh more of a show truck. just like people who collect car that sit in the garage.

9. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

Wholly chit that thing is clean!

10. Lawdog78

Lawdog78 Well-Known Member

I had an 05. I didn't know when I bought mine that was the only year that the tow/haul button actually did not lock out the transmission from overdrive. If you are going to be towing anything heavy, I'd get an aftermarket lockout switch. Just an FYI. I towed a 5th wheel with ours and it was constantly shifting and EGT's were easily hitting 1300+ because it would go into 4th gear right as I was starting up a hill. Every single time

11. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

I just push the clutch and downshift to 5th from 6th. :D

Lawdog78 likes this.
  12. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

my dads 2016 3500 was $44,000 out the door. Only downside is the DEF. You can pump fuel in the truck, with it running, and not get choked out with coal stink!
    I like that body style though. Also the 90s ford duallies

13. borislav

borislav Well-Known Member

All this time you guys have been comparing hp and torque of 6.0-6.7 TURBO diesel trucks with naturally aspirated 5.4-6.2 gasoline trucks...
    Of course there will be difference in efficiency and power on turbocharged models regardless of make and model.
    Except it or not operating cost of modern diesels IS higher than gassers!

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Accept... And I don't :D

masshole likes this.
  15. grady anderson

grady anderson Well-Known Member

Harder to find used.
    Seems like ten times more diesels for sale.
    I want a Lariat. Like my last three. I like the upgrade package.
    I have found two I am serious about. A 2015 and a 2016. Both 6.2 gassers

16. grady anderson

Ummm this IS a gas versus diesel discussion (ok...argument)
    Interestingly the biggest disagreement is among the diesel faction as to which are POS?
    The only downside anyone has mentioned about a 6.2 gas engine is the thirst of 11-12 mpg. But nobody mentions that diesels get about that or slightly better which has to be weighed against diesel costing a little more
    My 5.4 averaged 12.8
    Way less when towing like 8 or so.
    I have no problem with 11-12mpg
    In a crew cab 4wd truck
    Many thanks for all the opinions and helpful info.
    I will probably buy a near new 6.2 gasser
    If it goes over 300,000 miles with me and 16 years I will be over 80 and high mileage as well

17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Oops, first post was too long. I didn't read it all. :D
    I thought the question was just "is this worth $60k? Should I get a used one for half that?"

18. grady anderson

:crackup:member: 1617"]Oops, first post was too long. I didn't read it all. :D
    I thought the question was just "is this worth $60k? Should I get a used one for half that?"[/QUOTE]

Read the title of the thread :)

19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Well, now I remember why I didn't mention it in my original list of what was going to happen to the thread. :D

20. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Makes sense. Gassers are harder to find because they are so reliable and good that nobody wants to let go of them.

Looking forward to pics of the new rig.

grady anderson likes this.