1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacing my F250 5.4. Diesel or not? Help!

Discussion in 'General' started by grady anderson, Apr 17, 2017.

1. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Ram advertises roughly 29MPG for my Ecodiesel, I don't know at what speed they're getting that average but I DO know it's not averaging 70-75mph....lol. Just got back from a 1400+ mile round trip to Mi. and best I got was 27MPG which still blows away the competition IMHO....I'd be interested to know how an EcoBoost would do on that same trip.

The best part for me? With the truck topped off, I only needed to stop ONCE to be sure I'd get to my destination. Never had a car/truck capable of 600+ mile tank capability. I was almost tempted to push it all the way there on ONE tank but having the fam with me I didn't want any added drama....and they needed to pee. :D

2. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

The EPA's highway testing is done at 55 mph in near perfect conditions (not at elevation, excessive ambient heat or cold, flat terrain etc.) and an empty vehicle with just the driver.
    I bet that the ecodiesel will easily get 30 mpg under those conditions.
    TFL in their mpg test did almost 25 mpg in a 2015 or 16 crew cab short bed Cummins 2500 with the cruise control set at 70 mph.

XFBO likes this.
  3. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

I get it for sure :beer:

masshole likes this.
  4. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Think I will stick with what both the owners manual and the guys at Leadfoot tell me to do. Nothing personal. :D

5. grady anderson

grady anderson Well-Known Member

Yeah I have been all over AutoTrader and eBay as well as CarFax. Really don't want black because I live on a dirt road.
    Stopped by a dealer today and the salesman told me they can't sell any gas powered F250s at the moment because of a recall on some small item. He told me to e mail him what options I wanted and he could search for me because we had 3 or more weeks before I could buy one anyway.
    In the meantime I talked with my roofing sub who has had a shitload of diesel Fords. He said that unless I was going to do a lot more towing than I do to get a gasser. He doesn't get the fuel mileage you guys mention but he hauls stuff a lot. "But that 6.7 is a towing Ma-chine"
    He is buying another diesel in a couple of weeks.
    Then I stumble across this:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/292095742785?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
    Wow a 4x4 Crew cab Lariat "King" version with a 6.7 NEW for just over $48K???? I think the King pkg is just a "Cowboy Cosmetics" pkg but I kinda like it.
    Same dealer has a black one (also a King) for a hair over $70k.
    $22K in options? Guess I have some "compare and contrast" reading to do.
    I have found a fair amount of 2015/2016s gassers with 30-50k miles from $38k to $45K. Makes me curious how low I could get a new gasser for if I keep the options list short.

6. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that's not a king ranch. The interior usually has saddle brown leather and this one looks like normal leather. I'd think the KR would have nav too but this has the basic stereo.

7. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Yeah this is what it should look like. I think they just listed it wrong. Still probably not a bad deal.

Attached Files:

8. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

that listing is local to me and something isn't right with it. Give me a few minutes and I'll get it figured out. Seats don't match and neither does the radio, not even for a lariat let alone KR

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  9. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

It's an XL package, their Ebay ad is all messed up. not sure how to upload the window sticker in PDF but here's a screenshot of it. Open in new tab is the best way to view if you're on a computer.

Attached Files:

10. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

Those 17 Fords are beautiful trucks!

11. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Wow. That XL is way nicer than the XLT I used to have!

12. Chango

Chango Something clever!

No doubt. It's probably a large part of why trucks cost so much these days. They used to be an engine and a box. Suspension was for whiny-ass, loud-generator-complaining bitches. But all of the half ton + trucks I've driven in the past 10 years or so have actually been nice vehicles to drive, with much better handling, comfort, noise insulation, etc than the cars I drove in high school. They're all bigger than I want to own or drive around town, but they're definitely nice as long as I'm not parallel parking them or loading a washer in the bed.

13. grady anderson

grady anderson Well-Known Member

Yep. If it seems to good to be true it probably is
    Quick lesson: Don't look at ads on your I4s small ass phone.
    I am
    Going to look at a Lariat crew gasser with 10k miles on it that I posted a link to earlier that is very close to home.
    6.2 gasser
    Just need to get them down a bit.
    But as I mentioned I am not in any killer rush
    Thanks again for the help

14. Bobby_Evans

Bobby_Evans Well-Known Member

I went to a Titan XD after owning a Duramax. I am towing close to 11k. The power is there for pulling, but fuel consumption running 65-70 is 10mpg vs Duramax 12-15mpg.

Other issues are when not in tow mode, there is a huge lag in turbo spoolup. My wife even noticed. Plan in cold air intake, computer upgrade and exhaust and will go from there.

It definitely is a fuel hog along with def

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That is definitely not a KR and the price tag is way weird.

16. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Could really be an XL that the dealer then threw a bunch of extra stuff on. They did that to my wife's 4Runner.

17. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

That Ford, as the Monroney sticker posted specifies, is just a plane-jane XL (with the STX appearance package) that has had leather seat covers added by the dealer.

Still has non-carpeted floors and just the basics when it comes to options. Doesn't even have fog lights.

18. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

It really is a shame that the performance on that truck isn't better. Really thought the concept of a smaller-displacement V8 in a medium-duty chassis (along with an HD transmission) would translate to more appealing performance.

I heard a rumor that the Cummins engineers were quite figuratively strangled by emissions requirements to get the engine approved, and the performance has suffered as a result. Curious what the aftermarket might be able to do once owners are able to free it up a bit and get a proper tune......

Bobby_Evans likes this.
  19. Bobby_Evans

Bobby_Evans Well-Known Member

I will post up once I am done and have all the info. The truck itself is beautiful and made well, just need better tune!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

20. 418

418 Expert #59

That link is for a FZR400.

Might as well buy that, better investment. Lol

TurboBlew and V5 Racer like this.