1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacing my F250 5.4. Diesel or not? Help!

Discussion in 'General' started by grady anderson, Apr 17, 2017.

1. grady anderson

grady anderson Well-Known Member

My 2001 F250 Lariat 4x4 crew cab just clicked over 323K miles. 5.4 V8. Trans rebuild at 200k. Spit a plug twice, last time two weeks ago. Otherwise trouble free.
    Includes towing horse, car and now 22 ft enclosed aluminum trailer with several bikes.
    I will be getting another Ford. I have over a million miles in Ford trucks with a very minimum amount of problems and other than using Mobil 1 in all of them are pretty damn neglectful when it comes to maintenance.
    So I stopped by a dealer last week. A new version like mine but with a diesel was on the lot for over 60 thousand frickin bucks. I bought my 2001 new for about $31k as I recall so I guess I had just not thought about what they should be now.
    So I started looking at pre owned. Like used....
    7.3, 6.0, 6.4, 6.7 and that is just the diesels. Very hard to find any gas versions. I did see a 6.2 V8 gas 2016 crew cab but fairly basic, not Lariat, for $38k
    There seems to be a lot of conflicting info and opinions about some of the diesels, the 6.0 in particular.
    I found a 2006 F250 Lariat crew in the same color scheme as what I have (I like it) and the engine has been "freshly bulletproofed" with ARP head studs, EGR delete, OEM head gaskets, injectors tested and re o ringed, head machined and pressure tested, OEM upgraded oil cooler, 8 new glow plugs, oil and filter, coolant, all new upgraded high pressure oil components and NO TUNER. Cosmetically perfect inside and out.
    $22,500 which is a lot easier to swallow than 60 big ones.
    So friends, anybody got the real skinny on these? I am inclined to go get this one as it is only 40 miles away and looks just like what I have now. Though the 2016 NEW truck even if a little basic (cut me slack here. I am old and near retired and like nice things...) would have a warranty and allow me to burn gasoline and not have to always find a nation with diesel. Which for some reason costs as much or more than 93 octane. But I digress.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated as opinions here on the Beeb come from bike people. The truck forums are a little odd. Going to a forum to discuss your transport vehicle doesn't have the same passion to me as motorcycle related chat and enthusiasm. But hell, there are forums about blenders.....don't ask why I know....

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Get prepared for A LOT of reading. And by page 2, Dodge and GM will be part of the conversation.

(Incidentally, I'm still waiting for part two of the problems with the Bimota.)

jt21 likes this.
  3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

MELK-MAN likes this.
  4. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be afraid of a properly bulletproofed 6.0. If you can find out what shop did the work, even better.

5. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

You need to search the dealerships better. Still a ton of leftover 16's power strokes you could haggle to the upper 40's. I wouldn't buy used with the mileage you rack up and as long as you kept your last truck.

6. grady anderson

T
    Thanks for the link. Nice truck. But I don't want a dually and the long wheel base that comes with the 8 ft bed.
    Just a pain to park. But that is a nice truck.

7. grady anderson

Any reason not to consider the 6.2 or the larger gas engines? If looking for new, they certainly should be cheaper. Mine has lasted 16 years and it is just the 5.4. BTW my previous 5.4 F150 and 5.0 F150 each had almost as many miles on the odd as this one.

8. grady anderson

Thinking fairly low mileage if used. Under 100k for sure. Though new would include warranty protection.
    I will shop more. For some reason shopping for a truck is nowhere near as fun as shopping for a motorcycle.

9. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

FWIW, the guy that does all my Audi work has a cousin who specializes in Ford diesels. According to him, if you're not pushing stupid boost or otherwise behaving badly a 6.0 will last just fine, even without a bulletproofing, so long as you toss the Motorcrap radiator cap and put on a decent Stant unit. He says the head gasket failures are caused by caps blowing off coolant and cavitating the coolant passages in the head, causing hot spots and burned head gaskets. He swears by 'em, prefers them to the 6.4 and 6.7's.

10. grady anderson

Thanks for that as well. It is a local truck so I should be able to find out. I had never heard that term applied to an engine. I am guessing they had enough issues to create the term to describe having the issues addressed.

11. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Our old work truck was a 2011 with the 6.2. We put 180k trouble free miles on it before we shipped it off to another company because we didn't need it anymore.

12. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Google Bulletproof Diesel. They make all the stuff needed to properly do the job. If I remember right, they actually have tech articles on their website that are pretty informative on how to keep your 6.0 a good one. They generally aren't that bad if they aren't hot rodded and you stay up on fluids etc though.

13. 418

418 Expert #59

Just go gas and save yourself the hassle of having to become a diesel expert. Gas is cheaper in the long run and less headache, IDGAF what anybody says.

TurboBlew likes this.
  14. grady anderson

That has been my choice so far. The last diesel I had was an Isuzu. It just seems there aren't many out there used. Which I guess could mean people keep them.
    Should mean something I guess.
    I'll do a little more shopping for new gas powered trucks before I buy a used diesel. Though the above comments on the 6.0 are very helpful in making me comfortable if I go that route. Thanks.

15. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

In the gas vs diesel, how many horses and how far/type of terrain are you towing the car and bikes? If you got by with the 5.4, I would assume the 6.2 would be that much better.

16. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

We have a gas 6.2 in a crew cab 250 srw truck. Without a load on it, it rides like its on basketballs. Its kinda thirsty barely getting 11 mpg. Makes a nice throaty roar if you put your foot in it. So far its got 70,000 miles on it with nothing but fuel and oil changes.

17. orangesuzuki

orangesuzuki Well-Known Member

If you want to stay gas I would look at 2008-10 v10 in the 250/350. If you want to go diesel a good prepped 6.0 is a great motor. Stay away from 6.4!!!! Everything is body off. Hard to tell a customer it's $500-600 before I even fix your truck.
    The early 6.7 have some issues with the egr but otherwise a good motor.

18. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

i've had a 2005 excursion with 6.0L since new. 170,000 miles and runs awesome (knock on wood). I just run a very mild tune, nothing crazy, and no other mods at all, not even exhaust. Had the egr valve go bad and leak some coolant into motor (lots of smoky exhaust) but got lucky. did the bullet proof thing with ARP head studs at that time when i did the egr delete (about $4,000 total bill to do it).. that was 40,000 miles or so ago, as i intedned to keep the truck.

I just "picked up" a 2013 f150 platinum, 3.5L ecoboost, with 40,000 miles as a daily driver, dirt bike hauler. wouldn't want to tow my loaded 24' race trailer with it, but it tows a 6,900lb toy hauler decently in flat Florida.. if i had a 16' trailer or less roadrace shit ? i would have no reservations about using it to tow to roadraces, but the diesel really does haul better with a 3/4 ton frame, more power, etc.

TurboBlew likes this.
  19. 418

418 Expert #59

What about a F150 EcoBoost?

20. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

299,400 miles on my 'o2 (built 7/'01) E-350 v-10 gas. One spark plug blown after I had independent shop replace plugs near 100k, a couple of plug cap coils.
    94k on my late 2005 built 6.o diesel Excursion 4WD. Replaced all injectors, to cure inconsistent steady throttle issues. Now dealing with likely FICM issues.

Cost of maintenance for my diesel has already exceeded that of my V-10. I like the diesel, but am rarely pulling large, heavy loads. V-10 van has pulled large loads, though admittedly doesn't have the torque of the diesel. I don't know if the slight increase in fuel economy is worth the extra cost of $100. oil changes, and $150 fuel filter changes, and other increased maintenance expenses.

If I was only traveling in southern states, I might consider another diesel for my 'retirement vehicle.' But given that I spend a fair amount of time in the frigid mid-west, I'll likely decide to not have to worry about plugging my truck in, and worry about where and what kind of diesel I've purchased last for my 40+ gallon fuel load.