1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RC cars

Discussion in 'General' started by backcountryme, Nov 26, 2017.

1. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I still have a built B3 as well, they just aren't any good goofing around in the lawn. In the dirt or on the road it is still plenty of fun though.

2. joec

joec brace yourself

Man.....my rc10 team is long gone. Who knew these things would be so popular for so long.

Funny story. Gary Nixon, after he closed the motorcycle shop was selling RC cars.. That was back in 87 or so when I was in HS. I worked part time for the little hobby shop in my neighborhood and we always had good fun calling up to his shop asking for parts we knew he didn't carry. Lol.. Little did I know the guy was actually somebody. Seeing him at the races after the fact, I never told him the story. Turned out he was sort of a douchebag anyway.

3. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I don't know that I could bring myself to by anything but an RC10(or a derivative), if I was to buy something new. Of course with 3 of them sitting there, why would I buy any?

4. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Well, I added to my now growing collection. I picked up a helion Conquest 10b xlr and an 1/18 scale helion animus. The Conquest is a brushless 2wd buggy that will easily hit 50+ (I am thinking closer to 60+) with a 50c lipo. The Animus is a little brushed 4wd bashes. Now I am looking at transmitters that have multiple vehicle settings. This is starting to get out of hand. Ha

5. backcountryme

So, I am starting to think I have a real problem. My newest edition is a Losi XXL 2. 1/8 scale 2 stroke truck. Got it so I can run my Aspen fuel in it. Well, that is how I justified it to myself.

Attached Files:

BigBird and Phl218 like this.
  6. ts199

ts199 Well-Known Member

Just dug out my RC cars after 4 years of non use. I still have my RC10 from 1988 and also two SC10’s and a b4.1. I went to the local track (new to me) and my stuff is so old it’s not funny. It doesn’t help that the local track is OCRC, but still, to show up with a rear motor buggy was funny. It still ran great after putting the hot tire set up on it and I had a blast. Now I’m looking at a 1/10 4wd Tekno truggy that I’m not sure I can live another day without. I also come to find out that several guys I work with also have buggies and trucks hidden in closets that just needed prodding to get them back out. With OCRC being open till 11pm week nights, I might be adding to the divorce thread soon!

BigBird likes this.
  7. I need to start getting my boats back together. After my first few test runs with my 38” v bottom carbon hull (that I made myself) I got too busy. Had a solid 70+ out of it on a 2 way avg with tons of prop cavitation. Just no damn time anymore.

Phl218 likes this.
  8. There’s so much used stuff out there at a good price, especially right now before Xmas. Perfect time to buy. I may see if anyone local has a few batteries to get rid of.

ts199 likes this.
  9. Phl218

Phl218 .

ordered myself a Tamyia Unimog. Let's see if i find some time in the next decade to put it together.

BigBird and RichB like this.
  10. ts199

ts199 Well-Known Member

Yes, lots of used cars and parts to buy relatively cheap. The tech in RC is blowing up right now in the off road racing scene and each year a new Losi, AE or Yokomo comes out that seems like a game changer (of course they are not). Reminds me of the late seventies/early eighties in MX. The tracks are getting crazy too but in a fun way. All good and very addictive. I never got into the Traxxas cars so maybe I missed something. They just seemed like toys and not race cars but I could be wrong.

11. I have shockingly little into my boats for the performance I get out of them. Mind you I did a lot of work and tu ing myself but the good quality parts in them are nothing compared to what they cost a few years back.

12. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

My lowly yz10 in 1993 had carbon fibre chassis, magnesium bulkheads, Kevlar belt, slipper, servo saver and ti hardware. I haven't looked at cars in a long time, it's safer that way.

ts199 likes this.
  13. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I had a YZ-10 back then. Wish I hadn't sold it for pennies.

14. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

Soo a year later Ive already gone lipo, went with better tires. Did not regulate speed in time, 6yo daughter drove it in to a curb at about 40, bent the frame, and crushed the steering servo box, I was able to take it apart and straighten the frame with a bench vice, and zip tie the box until its not on back order. Been a blast, and Im glad the kids are learning on it. Fun little buggers, met up with a friend from HS who was big in to them when we were young, he showed up with one of his last purchases before he stopped spening money on these things. It was 3' long with a 2stroke weed wacker motor! Sometimes you just gotta act like a kid!

BigBird likes this.
  15. Jaketheone46

Jaketheone46 Well-Known Member

I have a bunch that have not been out in a few years but all are still top notch. I always liked the monster trucks best for bashing so have the Traxxas revo 3.3. Also have the 1/10 scale belt driven on road cars and a few others. My favorite in surface Rc is the scale trucks. Check em out on utube. Like the axial scx10 is what started the big scale truck craze. Everything looks like the real deal with axles drive shafts shocks can be both coil over or leaf spring. They can be really fun. I have real working scale winches for both of my scale trucks. Lots of fun for sure. Airplanes are even better, they take a bit to learn to fly but they are so fun as well.

Phl218 likes this.
  16. backcountryme

The nice part of the Traxxas stuff is parts are available everywhere. My slash is almost entirely aftermarket now. Low cg chassis, hobbywing sensored brushless Motor and esc, Spektrum receiver with AVC, savox servo, all the aluminum bits you really need. The thing easily hits 70mph. I even made a custom sway bar for it.

ts199 likes this.
  17. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Question for all you r/c gurus:

So we got The Boy a Traxxas TRX4 Sport build-it-yourself kit. He's at the point where he's mating his ESC with reciever/transmitter but has hit a stumbling block. The ESC is a SPEKTRUM 60a brushless 2100KV sensored motor & ESC combo. His transmitter/reciever is a TACTIC TTX300. The point he's stuck at is the ESC calibration. Its almost as it the TACTIC won't vibe with the SPECTRUM. He's trying to set his throttle position but the ESC isn't responding.

Some searches through RC forums isn't revealing too much, but Ive seen a couple snippits where people have said they won't mate up, but the posts are a couple years old. Hoping the tech has evolved since. Can anyone confirm? Anyone have experience with this combo?

Thanks.

18. Do you happen to have a spare sensored motor? I had a similar issue with one of my boats and was about to shoot the damn thing. It had a dead spot where the sensor wouldn’t pick up and I just happened to have all the stars aligned. They didn’t find this out until they tested it when I sent it back. Try rotating the motor by hand or ideally swap the motor.

pjzocc likes this.
  19. twodocs

twodocs Well-Known Member

Had an RC10 nitro back in the 90s, built myself and sold for nothing. Bought a Geico 36 lipo dual motor boat I had running over 90mph (gps) before it flipped, blew apart and sank. They gave me a bare hull as a ‘thanks for buying.’ I bought another one anyway. Haven’t broken that one yet, but keep it under 80 now.

‘Bust out another thousand’ is true for the toy. More like $10k for my people carrying boat.

20. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

It's all new equipment, new build from a kit which didn't include motor, transmitter/receiver and battery. The Spektrum is the ECS and brushless which is to be mated to the Tactic transmitter. They just dont seem to be vibing and we've searched for 2 days now. Going to the hobby shop tomorrow to trouble shoot but trying to get The Boy to figure out these roadblocks himself. Unfortunately, I'm not much help with this stuff and it's frustrating for both of us.

Long and short... he has a couple other rc's but for me/us to start trying to reprogram the Tactic to one of his others would be another frustrating excursion of new swear words.