1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RC cars

Discussion in 'General' started by backcountryme, Nov 26, 2017.

1. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

So, a buddy of mine works at a hobby shop in Texas. Last time I was down (about a month ago) he gave me a Traxxas slash. I forgot how much damn fun these things are, and how much of a money pit they are too. Ha. I have already upgraded the motor and esc to brushless, got two lipo batteries, multiple aluminum parts, even ordered a ne aluminum LCG chassis for it. Anyone else here into RC stuff?

2. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

[​IMG]
    Slash 2wd before I started spending money.

JustaNobody likes this.
  3. condon66

condon66 Member well known

I used to race them with a group of peeps. A group of about 10-15 showed up every Sunday. We had heat races, mains, and kept points all summer. It's definitely fun and yeah you can spend a pile of money lol!

4. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Used to race them early 90s. Fun got knocked out of them with dealing with the idiots who were constantly being bad sports about it. Numberous people cheating and race officials doing squat (using modified motors in a ROAR stock class). People intentionally ramming other competitors into the wall. Couple others unplugging others batteries from their chargers or other sabotage. Oh and it wasnt kids doing it. Freaking guys in their 40s were the culprits.

Now I just play with rc aircraft on and off.

Bloodhound likes this.
  5. The

The Baddest Mofo in Town

Kids have a Slash. We also have the Spartan boat and the e-revo. That e-revo on 6S is ridiculously fast with uncontrollable 60 mph wheelies.

Traxxas products are awesome. Take a beating, easy maintenance, and a ton of bang for the buck.

ToofPic likes this.
  6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I have a Slash and when I remember I have it, it's fun. Haven't had it out in quite awhile.

7. I have a slash, rustler and spartan boat. Total money pits but fun, like Dave K I forget I have them. The Spartan is fun to add a couple floats to it and use it as a trolling boat. I’ve caught up to a 3.5lb bass on it. It’s a blast, becomes like a tractor pull with the fish.

ToofPic and Metalhead like this.
  8. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Just picked up a Slash VXL (brushless) used. I'd been on the fence due to racing R/Cs years ago and not wanting to fall back into the trap...so I'm just bashing it.

Hey Backcountry, RPM makes a arms and stuff with lifetime warranties.

9. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

The boy had a hopped up Emaxx but he doesn’t really play with it much anymore. He bashed it for about a month or so and was over it. He’s been trying to sell it on CL for like 3-4 months but no bites on it.

10. BigBird

BigBird blah

Really like the RC Car/Truck hobby, but I don't have a pile of money to burn at the moment. It's definitely a rabbit hole once you start.

11. jimmyv138

jimmyv138 Well-Known Member

When I stopped racing motorcycles I got back into RC car racing pretty heavily. I was traveling more racing those than I was during the national endurance series. I got picked up by TLR and later switched teams and starting racing for Tekno. It was a fun hobby but the terrible people with terrible attitudes really take the fun out of it. I’ve never met anybody with a bigger ego than 90% of “pro” RC car racers. It’s mind blowing.

I got burned out on it after only a few years then jumped into cycling. I’ve found most mountain bikers to be great people.

12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I went to one local race to check it out to see what it was like.

Waaaay too serious for a bunch of guys playing with toy trucks.

backcountryme likes this.
  13. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I’ve gotten into building racing/freestyle quadcopters. It’s been fun. The people are really great so far. I’ve only been doing it about 6 months. It’s a steep learning curve.

I live 5 miles from the home of the AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics). My experience has been that most serious RC people are terrible people. I’ve tried a little bit of everything but the quadcopter community has been the best so far.

14. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Have 2 of the exact same trucks at home. All stock, and my 8yr old has so far managed to not bust them in half. I think that is a win. Did have to put a new control arm on the one. 2 of them running at 30mph towards each other had a bit of a disasterous result.

15. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

Which Traxxas would be the best deal/most fun for general shenanigans around the house and while camping?

16. zertrider

Slash is pretty hard to beat. Cheap enough and fast enough to have some fun. And upgradable when you decide to throw money away.

17. Jaketheone46

Jaketheone46 Well-Known Member

I’ve got the revo 3.3 and a couple touring cars 2 scx10 trail trucks and 10 or so airplanes. I ain’t had one out in at least 2 years though. They are a lot of fun when ya have time for them.

18. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Probably a Stampede honestly.. Both that and Slash models are pretty bulletproof but due to the smaller tires if you get into deeper grass the Slash "high centers". I'm probably throwing monster truck tires on mine for that reason. The Slash is a bit larger and more stable (less tippy) but the chassis (stock) is a hair too low for my liking.

brex likes this.
  19. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

looking at picking up one also, something for the back yard, kids are of the age where they want a remote controlled car and I wont buy a Walmart pos, when I could invest a bit more and have some fun too.

zertrider likes this.
  20. zertrider

Yep. $150 for POS WalMart, or $225 for something you can repair when you break it. And lets face it, they all get broken somehow.