1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Racial Slur

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by guerrilla, Jul 2, 2003.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

ROTFLMAO!

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Holy shit - I'm totally in agreement wiht Brad (on this specific one). Guerilla - you are taking this whole thing way out of context and pushing too hard to make Marks actions/comments racist. Like Buck said, there's a lot more to racism then hatred but using skin color as a way of identifying the only person of that skin color in a group of people alike in other ways is no different than using ANY physical characteristic. Put me and Huey together and I'm the one with facial hair - is that an insult to the bearded members of society? How about pointing out the one blond guy?

Yes racism exists, yes it is still bad - but overreacting like this just adds to it.

3. mtk

mtk All-Pro Bike Crasher

Or it would mean that you've voluntarily given up your Fourth Amendment rights to be free from unreasonable search and seizure.

Saying "Who cares if you have nothing to hide" is the justification used to trample over the Fourth Amendment all the time. Personally, I care. They can either get a warrant or be my personal fluffer in the examples given, regardless of the reason for the search.

4. mad brad

mad brad Guest

i think i'd rather have them search my car and let me go. versus standing on the roadside for hours while they get a warrant.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

mtk - the point is that I voluntarily choose to do so. My choice. If I have nothing to hide I see no reason to waste their time or mine worrying about making sure they know I know my rights.

I reserve pissing matches like that for the BBS :)

6. Due North

Due North Source of Insanity

Thankfully, I've never lived in a ghetto.

'America' can't be out to get me (logical impossibility) so that's a pretty retarded statement. As for cops, in general they are ok, but I've spent way too much time around them to trust them farther than I could throw them.

I have / do travel enough in the US that it is important to me to know my rights. There have been too many incidents in which the ignorance of a persons rights have led to disastorius consequences.

7. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

1. They must have probable cause in order for a warrant to be issued by a judge.

2. There is no way I'd let them search my vehicle, house or person unlees they had a warrant or i believed that there was a very necessary reason to so that related to an imminent threat to someone health and safety. Otherwise, they can mind their own business and be on there way.

I don't mind waiting for a bit but they can't hold you indefinately.

Rodger

Last edited: Jul 15, 2003
  8. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

that is absolutely your option and one that the cops always rely upon. I love the cops shows (like Cops) where the cops ask someone on a routine traffic stop "do you mind if we search your car?" the idiot says yes and then gets busted for 20 lbs of weed!! What a moron!!!

Not that Mongo carries a 20 pounder. . .

:D

Rodger

9. Due North

How long can you be detained at the side of the road w/o a warrant?

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

As long as needed.

11. ZebProctor1

ZebProctor1 Well-Known Member

I'm guessing they can't hold you any longer than they could at a police station without pressing charges, what's that, 16 hours??? Rodger???

12. Due North

What if you have to take a leak? You go at the side of the road then get a ticket for urinating in public? What if you gotta drop a load??? That could get nasty!!!

13. MarkB

MarkB All's well that ends well

You could probably sue them back along the lines of not providing adequate or humane basic facilities during your detention, or something lame like that.

"The Law - it's almost like somone just made it up for fun"

14. mtk

mtk All-Pro Bike Crasher

I believe they have 20 minutes to either arrest you or send you on your way.

15. yourworstnme

yourworstnme Member

I think everyone dislikes anyone who is different and has no personal background knowledge of. I don't like the white kid who serves me fries at Mickey D's, I don't like the black man eye balling me at Blockbuster, the asian woman who speaks 2 hundred miles an hour in her own dialect when I walk past the nail place in the mall, the scottish guy who I tried to order leathers from over the phone, the jackass who just threw a cigarette out the window and bounced it off my helmet while speeding down the turnpike. Fuck'em all, let god sort'em out. Unless I know them. Then they're cool. :p Actually, I think people use the race, religion, gender thing in place of taking responsibility for their actions 95% of the time. I've been beaten by State Police officers on 2 occasions for "fitting a description" and I'm an early 20's white guy so I'm sure it is more prevelant to happen to minorities, but a very good black friend of mine (she say's "don't give me that african shit, I was born in Jersey and my skin is black, that makes me a black american who lives in the armpit of the world".) told me that her brother was pulled over driving an 80 something Civic with the loud ass can, broken tail-light, no inspection sticker and he was speeding. He looked over at her and said "ain't this some shit, he pulled me over cuz I'm black." She said "no, he pulled you over cuz your stupid." I think that says it all. In summary, I have no tolerance, love, respect or compassion for stupid people.

16. Tex

Tex Well-Known Member

I go out of town for two days and you guys are still going???

Mongo-you are right...search away....you won't find anything. I feel the same way about random drug testing, I think it is funny why guys lose their jobs because getting high was more important.

Funny thing. I'm taking Sociology this semester...in the same sentence the author (Asian) referred to African Americans and whites, not Caucasion. :D

17. ysr612

ysr612 Well-Known Member

I read in encarta that
    Caucasion
    negro
    orinetal
    mongaloid

are no longer used.

these are called dated terms as oposed to archaic

and are considered offensive to each of the groups that used to be decribed by them

Last edited: Jul 15, 2003
  18. guerrilla

guerrilla Real King of the Jungle

Personally,

I feel like reparations are the wrong way to go. Giving money to individuals without them actually EARNING it is as ANTI-AMERICAN as you can get.

We should come up with a number what ever it may be and instead of giving it to individuals like they won the lottery we should sink it into inner citiy revitalization and education programs.

SOME European-americans have been allowed to make their own way in this country for over 500 years. Due to SLAVERY and Institutional Predjudice some African-Americans are 400+ years behind the curve. We should look for anyway possible to Narrow that gap but Reparations are not the way!

19. guerrilla

I think you missed my point. I did just get a ticket...My friend who was black was told to get out of the car??? Why? Not one thing was different...

Maybe this is a case of a particular officer's prejudice coming through but it happens and I feel like it is important that EVERYONE realize that it happens way more than we realize. I thank god for the people that are able to work as police officers on our streets. It is a particularly thankless position and we usually hear only about the bad stuff they do. This time however the officer was wrong and subsequently he was called to task on that. My friend was cleared of ANY wrong doing and I guess as the judge so eloquently stated "NO HARM NO FOUL?"

20. guerrilla

I am just pointing out another reason gay men and women feel it neccessary to proclaim how proud they are.

You stated that you were not uncomfortable around them until one of them made what looked to you like a move on you. What about it made it uncomfortable? You had never been in this situation?

That is where I was going. Apparently, you never had a women make a move on you either. :Poke:

I guess some people (mad brad) do not look forward to the day where a gay man can feel free to ask another guy to dance and not have to worry about getting in a fight with a homophobic asshole. But I truly hope that we are headed that way. It will be nice to know that EVERY American is free.