1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Racial Slur

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by guerrilla, Jul 2, 2003.

1. Tex

Tex Well-Known Member

would you rather the police igored people that match descriptions for fear of offending someone???

:rolleyes:

2. Blah blah blah racism blah blah blah.

In 1996 I was stopped by NC Hwy Patrol in Angier and had a gun pulled on me. I had to wait until the Trooper's backup showed up before they would even let me say anything or produce any documentation. They were looking for a "tough-looking guy in a black jacket on a Harley." Yes, I was wearing a black jacket, but I was riding a (clearly marked) Yamaha. Anyone who knows me can tell you that "tough-looking" isn't a phrase anyone would ever use to describe me. :)

In 1999 I was dangerously tailgated and followed for several miles into my neighborhood by the local police. When I turned onto my street and they were still right behind me I stopped and demanded to know what the hell they wanted. Got quite a bit of attitude from them and veiled threats of arrest for "resisting" (resisting what, I can't imagine) before they realized that a) I'm not some young punk, and b) we were about 2 blocks away from my house and they were unjustifiably harrasing a tax-paying homeowner in his own neighborhood. Turned out they had a BOLO for a "guy on a yellow motorcycle" who had a warrant. Conversation at the local biker hangouts and on email lists over the next couple of weeks made it clear that the local cops were hassling anyone and everyone they saw on a yellowish motorcycle.

So the point is that the police often have poor descriptions and are more zealous than they need to be, harassing law-abiding citizens in the process. Assuming that the cops always hassle someone solely because of race is stupid. Yes, it happens, but you are trying your damnest to imply that getting pulled over for DWB is SOP, and it's not.

3. Robert

Robert Flies all green 'n buzzin

For that description? Absolutely. because it matches 20,000 people in the area.

How'd you like to be cuffed face down with a gun against your head ..simply because you're white and in your 20s or 30s? :rolleyes:

When the guys complaint was dismissed, the chief of police stepped in and had charges laid against the officers.

4. Tex

Tex Well-Known Member

Been there done that...it sucks. But it doesn't suck as bad as a police force afraid to do their job because a bunch of whiners are afraid of them hurting people's feelings.

Oh, in my case they got the guy later than night..he DID look like me.

5. Due North

Due North Source of Insanity

Tex, I guess that you hope they don't decide to shoot you because of 'how you looked'.

Seems to me that these descriptions are BS and provide the cops an opportunity to harass people without a 'real' cause.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

How can you make such a sweeping judgement of the procedure without knowing the details?

White guy driving a jeep would be more than enough to get me pulled over - and it wouldn't bother me a bit. I'll take the hassle if that's what it takes to get bad guys caught.

In some neighborhoods being white is enough to get the cops looking at you, in others being black is. So? If you're doing nothing illegal why should it worry you who is looking?

7. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

I'm reading this exchange between you and Thuxley and I have to ask:
    Do you know that Thuxley is a woman?

8. mad brad

mad brad Guest

i knew thuxley typed like a woman. :D

9. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

LMAO!
    I might get fired for this one.
    I had to run outside to laugh like a clown.
    *whew*

10. mad brad

mad brad Guest

won't catch me on an all gay planet. no hard liquor,{fruity wines don't do it for me} and plus i'm skeered of em' remember?

oh, and f^ck you buttwild. :p

11. Due North

I have seen the details in action.

There is too much abuse by a small minority that causes total distrust of the system. Ask 'Hurrican Carter' if the system is trustworthy.

If a cop pulled you over and ask to search your vehicle, would you let them? I wouldn't.

If the rang your door bell and ask to search your house, would you let them? I wouldn't.

If they asked for a DNA sample, would you? I wouldn't.

12. wera176

wera176 Well-Known Member

:confused:

So why would Thuxley say this:
    Trying to keep a low profile? Or does "She" know how exited straight (hell, maybe gay too) guys get when hearing about lesbians? :beer:

My wife was a hair stylist while putting herself through college, so I got to meet a number of gay men (yes, most men hair dressers are gay). Most were pretty nice and a few of them weren't much different than the rest of us (we called them "stealth queers") but some were flamers. I really never was uncomfortable around any of them until one night at a party were I was the only straight guy and I realize that I was with all gay guys and a bunch of chicks (hair dresser chicks can get WILD!), I was the only straight guy. That wasn't bad (my wife was there, afterall) until the one flamer was telling me how much he liked guys who had bikes! :eek: Time to go I told the wife... I later found out that his b-friend had a Harley and he was just trying to make conversation, but, well, you know what I thought! ;)

13. guerrilla

guerrilla Real King of the Jungle

Looks like it is just you.

Hey, I was once a shithead like you. I used to think racial profiling was an URBAN LEGEND. But you only have to see it one time to know how truly frightening it can be. Here are more details about the incident and you tell me what prompted a hard working, clean cut, professional African American male to be told to lay down on the side walk.

It is 10:30 at night we just left the movie theater he is running me back to work as we get into the neighborhood he rolls through a stop-sign. You know the slow down but never really stop move. Unforunately Johnnie Law was on the seen. So he pulls us over. The car we are in is an Acura. A little bling-bling but nothing too fast too furious. When the cop comes to the window he is INSTANT asshole. He asks my friend "Did you see the FUCKING stop sign??!!" My friend replies "Yeah, I thought I came to a stop" The cop replies "You must be dumber than you look then...Get out of the car."

This was a simple stop sign ticket. I have got three of them in my life EXACTLY the same way. Johnnie Law walks up points out I didn't make a complete stop writes the ticket and we are off to the races again???

SAD BRAD tell me your thoughts.

14. guerrilla

guerrilla Real King of the Jungle

Yeah you were afraid you might LIKE IT? Or your were uncomfortable because you had never had anyone MALE or FEMALE approach you like that?? What if it would have been a party full of ugly women. Would you have said time to go? DOUBT IT.

If the guy was trying to pick you up you tell him your not interested and you move on? What made you uncomfortable?

15. wera176

wera176 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure where you are headed with this line of questioning...

What does the ugly women reference have to do with me saying time to go? I guess I don't get that reference, some were ugly, some weren't...

Yes, that was the first (and only) time a guy approached me like that (which he really wasn't) and we didn't leave. It was not the last time that I ever talked to that guy, we got along just fine... Some of the girls at the party had some fun with it.... :beer:

16. MarkB

MarkB All's well that ends well

Question for Guerrilla,

Whats your stance on paying reparations to African Americans? I was watching O'Reilly last night, and the subject came on. Personally, I'm against it, but what say you??? (as O'R would say..)

17. ZebProctor1

ZebProctor1 Well-Known Member

my thoughts are..... you didn't stop, you got a ticket, where's the racial profiling???? If I had gone through a stop sign, and gotten stopped by a cop, and gotten a ticket, I would have counted my losses and moved on, obviously stopping at every single sign for a while..... but b/c you* are black, you* see something to blame it on other than yourself.... which ties into the "frivelous lawsuit" thread, people unwilling to take the blame for their own actions...

*I say "you" in the most general of terms, as I know guerilla is not black.....

Last edited: Jul 15, 2003
  18. mad brad

mad brad Guest

geurilla, you're right. all blacks all the time are oppressed by the man. that cop had no business stopping him. this would never happen to a white guy.

i stand corrected.

19. Due North

Carry a pocket recorder. Carry it in your car and record any/all conversations. An abusive asshole has no business being a cop. File a complaint and then send a copy to the local media.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Due, I've seen the details in action as well - still don't have a problem with it. When's the last time you lived in the ghetto anyway?

As for the rest, I would, would, and would. But then again, I have nothing to hide so they can look all they want. All it would ever do is rule me out as a suspect of anything.

Is it rough being as paranoid as you that America and cops are out to get you?