1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R1/R1M recall?

Discussion in 'General' started by stk0308, Nov 25, 2015.

1. jimfowler

jimfowler Well-Known Member

Yep, there's a none percent Yamaha will allow a non-dealership to do this work. And non-dealers probably don't want what Yamaha is gonna be paying for the job.

I've known of shops to give the master cylinders (Suzuki recall) to customers (at the customer's request I presume) with whom they have had a good and long relationship with but this is not something I would do or allow to transpire where I work. Just WAY too much liability.

I understand the trepidation people have going to dealers for work. A lot of the work is lousy but this doesn't apply to dealers exclusively. Just because you're a dealer doesn't mean your techs are any good but it also doesn't mean that they aren't. And if you don't have a personal relationship with your dealer, you're reasonably going to be reluctant to let them do much of anything...but if you want your transmission repaired, you're going to have to go to the dealer. If you're hesitant, stop by and talk to the tech or service manager and if you don't like what you see/hear, you're welcome to keep looking for a place you feel you can trust.

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

My local dealer did that for me, but I explained to him that both of my bikes have Brembo MCs on them and the only thing that was going to happen was the 2 MC they give me are going to sit in a box as spares just as the current OEMs are doing anyway.

3. BigBird

BigBird blah

4. BigBird

BigBird blah

I would like to know as well..not for this because well I don't have a R1, but it's good to know a dealership that speaks Beeb :)

vdub 2.0 likes this.
  5. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I talked to my dealer last week. They're willing to give me the parts and let me do the work myself. I honestly don't have time for that, but it's the option I'm most comfortable with.

I'm curious what Yamaha is paying for labor if anyone has the info. They've told me that they'll give me a credit for whatever labor they get from Yamaha. I trust they'll be straight with me, but it wouldn't hurt to verify.

cajun636 likes this.
  6. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

That would be awesome if they paid you the $80 an hour for 16 hours. That's 1300 worth of cash for the labor. Not bad. Still sucks about the recall though.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No way Yamaha is paying 80 per for 16 hours.

8. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Isn't $80 the going hourly rate?

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

For the shop to charge customers sure, not for the OEM to pay the shop.

10. 12v_dub

12v_dub Well-Known Member

Nice chip on that frame already SMH. I have a 15' R1 and I'm gonna wait and see how it's turning out first. Maybe by then, Yamaha will have a better resolution for the customers. I, quite frankly do not trust any of the dealerships around metro Atlanta doing an oil change on the bike regadless if they're Bronze or Gold star certified.

Nice yamaha certified motor jack for removing that engine

[​IMG]

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

There used to be a good Yamaha dealer here in Canton with great wrenches but the wrenches are elsewhere (still working on bikes just not a dealer). Not sure about any of them now although Eisenacher is still at Mountain Motorsports on 41 and I'd trust him.

12. alan

alan Well-Known Member

Sure they will.

13. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I'm told the labor allowance is around $500. That's not enough, especially considering that most of them will be street bikes.

Either my dealer is trying to make some money on the deal or Yamaha is just underpaying the labor.

14. Skter505

Skter505 Well-Known Member

Honestly if you're wanting to do it yourself you are lucky they are giving you the parts to do so. If they are willing to give you $500 in credit is just an extra bonus. No way most shops would allow that. Warranty work and recalls can't just be done by any Joe Schmoe, it's a liability.

throwdown, stk0308 and BigBird like this.
  15. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Depends on the state, Maine for instance requires reimbursement to be full retail on parts at the very least.

16. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Bring it to the dealer here in my town he can do it and do it right. I've know him for 25 years and during that time he has had to fix many a manufacturer screw up of mine. He has a 15 R1 on his table right now off their showroom floor, brand new bike zero miles. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it if I was wanting a new R1.

12v_dub likes this.
  17. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

My buddy called Yamaha and they told him not to rude the bike until recall was done, it was dangerous. He will be trading it on this weekend on something else

18. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

No argument. I have no issue with them making a few bucks, just saying it's one or the other.

19. 12v_dub

12v_dub Well-Known Member

Thatss great to hear! Sadly most of the dealerships that used to be somewhat descent were all bought out by Mountain motorsports and their sales tactics suck. Cant speak personally on their service though.

20. throwdown

throwdown Well-Known Member

It depends on the states laws where you live, where I live the door rate for a customer and the warranty rate have to be the same. my dealership is paid $140.00 per hour from the manufacturer, and our customer rate is the same.