1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R1/R1M recall?

Discussion in 'General' started by stk0308, Nov 25, 2015.

1. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

2. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Didnt see it here but i know some pretty fast folks on the atlantic side of ccs going through transmissions, specifically 2nd and 3rd gear.

3. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

In a way I'm hoping mine is on the affected list. It seems like it would be better to have the update than not. I'm guessing the fix is probably more durable than the non-affected parts.

4. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

Awesome - I get to have some dealer tech kid tear apart my $22k motorcycle. Can't wait to see how that turns out.

RFairbairn and WANABE RACER like this.
  5. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Does that thing have a cassette style trans?

6. triplestrong

triplestrong Well-Known Member

no

7. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Read something about this on the soshul meedeeahz yesterday.

"In the past, other manufacturers have had factory technicians rebuild defective motors, while others have simply swapped affected motors with new ones. The latter seems the more likely solution, as it has fewer legal consequences."

I wonder if that's really what they'll do, swap out the whole motor? And what do they do in cases with guys who have internal motor work?

8. alan

alan Well-Known Member

All 2015 R1's and R1M's are included in the recall.

9. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Good excuse to do some modifications while you're in there if the whole bottom end has to be split.

10. cartmen34

cartmen34 Well-Known Member

This is my primary concern as well. I'd trust a dealer to do certain things... splitting the cases and completely rebuilding the gearbox isn't one of them. Graves motorsports or a reputable engine builder? Sure. Somebody with a few years experience and an MMI cert? Umm... wellll...

11. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I hope for your guys sakes that Yamaha is just gonna toss a new motor at them like Aprilia did with the RSV4 a couple years back

jt21 likes this.
  12. cartmen34

Take this with a grain of salt because its just a rumor on the intarwebs, but apparently all '15 R1/Ms are affected.

13. cartmen34

Yeah, I'd probably let my local shop do that. I hope this is what they do *fingers crossed*

14. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

2017 whatever is by then Suzuki GSX-R1000:D

Guarantee you it won't have a transmission issue :p

Disclaimer: Current Yamaha owner o_O

TLR67 likes this.
  15. alan

alan Well-Known Member

All 15's are included.

16. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

You guys must have some real shitbox dealerships in your area if you can't even trust them to rebuild a trans. Find the closest reputable dealer... then tell the manufacture that x/y/z dealer couldn't be trusted due to lack of experience.

jt21 likes this.
  17. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Did some googling trying to find out more info and wound up on R1-forum.com. Good God. There's like 30 pages of full retard.

roy826ex likes this.
  18. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Thank you! Thats some good comedy there!:D

19. cartmen34

Oh yeah. It's an entertaining read. It's where I've been getting most of my laughs over the last few days while trying to figure all this shit out.

20. cartmen34

According to the yamaha-motor site my closest dealer is a "YTA Silver Motorsports Technician". lol I still have no idea if they're qualified to do this sort of work. lol

I guess I've been lucky up to this point. This is the first kind of major engine work I've had to have done in 20+ years of riding these things.