1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question for the great Beeb

Discussion in 'General' started by flygirl, Jun 23, 2020.

1. sdg

sdg *

^ that guy. Might be able to get a machinists level and see if it corresponds.

2. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Old job I worked at had a problem with a CMM going out of calibration all the time. Had techs in multiple times to calibrate it, and a few days later it would be out of whack again. I noticed one day that it was straddling an expansion joint in the floor, and that, that particular spot on the floor due to the placement of the window across the room got afternoon sunlight. Took a few days of me saying that's what the problem was before I could convince them to simply put a machinists level on the table, and keep an eye on it from morning to afternoon. Sure enough....... They moved it about 3ft to the left, onto solid floor and never had another problem lol. There's usually a logical explanation for everything, you just need to observe and be able think outside the box sometimes. Or inversely, STOP thinking outside the box...... When you hear hooves, think horses, not unicorns......

Things move, flex, and vibrate. Much more than people think.

sdg likes this.
  3. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Somewhat related ... when I learned a bit about military sharpshooters (the kind that have targets a mile away), not only do they hold their breath to keep from affecting their aim, they wait to shoot between heartbeats. Dang!