1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quadcopter,Anybody have one?

Discussion in 'General' started by assjuice cyrus, Feb 17, 2014.

1. USracer900

USracer900 Well-Known Member

I think it depends on which camera you are lifting. For a Gopro, all you need is a quad, preferably one of the deadcat frames or "spider" frames that puts it out front so the props don't show. Anything larger (Sony Nex 5N, DSLR etc) and you'll need a hexacopter. Most guys are shooting with the Sony Nex 5N because the picture quality is just as good as a DSLR and the video quality is simply amazing at 1080. Not many guys have a need for lifting full frame 5D MKIII's, if they do they are going with those super expensive octocopter setups. You better have some good paying jobs lined up though to cost justify that kind of investment. (IMO)

2. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

This thread needs to die before I spend money.

3. Reckless_Kelly

Reckless_Kelly Well-Known Member

The $75 gimbals usually are "just the gimbal" without a controller. The Feiyu-Tech is a complete plug and play unit. Definitely worth the extra cost.

4. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I was listening to a flitetest podcast last night and one of them has a quad that carries a 5D, he has about 10K in the rig. He's also been doing video for the discovery channel.

5. USracer900

Yeah, I've seen some that don't include the board but I know of a couple that definitely do and are plug n' play. (I think they are using clones of the Martinez board) One is on ebay for like $75 and the other is from goodluckbuy.com for the same price.

edit: Here's the one from goodluckbuy.com: http://www.goodluckbuy.com/dji-phan...roller-for-gopro3-fpv-aerial-photography.html

One on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-Phantom...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43c161ac4e

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  6. USracer900

Meant to tell you, that quad you listed from Hobbyking looked like a really good deal for the money! I'd be inclined to order one if I hadn't already ordered the Phantom. You could throw a Naza lite on there and still be under $400.

Yeah, those big multirotors get into some money quickly. Really not sure why since the motors/ESC's can't be all that expensive. Flight controller should be the same unless you go with something like a Wookong which are pricey. I'd be a nervous wreck flying a 5D around but I'm sure the Discovery channel pays well too.

7. Pilotx1

Pilotx1 Well-Known Member

strapped down to the table for motor testing
    [​IMG]

released for an initial lift off test, this didnt go well and the quad immediately flipped itself, broke off the far side black prop and landing gear, that was the end of live testing for the night... did some further reading and found that if the quad flips itself on liftoff like that 2 of the motors may be mis-ordered in the flight controller
    [​IMG]

8. Newsshooter

Went to order one and mode 2 is backordered, I had a ladybug that I finally killed and have a nano on the way for more practice. I'll probably get the HK quad when it's available. I've got a sony NEX camera I'd like to use for photo/video after I become a better pilot.

9. USracer900

Cool, yeah Hobbyking stuff is backordered quite a bit. Be patient with their shipping process too. I've ordered twice from them and both times it took a month. (from the China location) Second time I paid extra for EMS shipping and still took a month. I've got a Sony NEX C3 and absolutely love that little camera. I hot glued a servo to the front to actuate the shutter button. Currently fly it on a T-Rex 600 helicopter and have got some really good results. The helicopter doesn't self level so the subject/horizon is all over the place and I have to correct quite a bit in post. Usually take 700 pics in a 6 minute flight and keep 50 or so. A self leveling quad with GPS should be light years better I'm hoping.

Pilotx1: Cool looking home made quad, looks huge! How's the weight? Is that balsa for the center section? What flight controller are you using also?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  10. Pilotx1

its pretty big, the black booms are 600mm. the center wood section is poplar because it was a lot cheaper and more durable for the initial setup and testing than balsa, its already getting bounced around alot from false takeoffs and when it only lifts off one side and we chop the throttle to stop it from flipping over.

once we get it flying stably were going to build a much lighter center section this one gives us a ton or real-estate to move components around for best balance and wire routing. we'll probably use a sort of trellis frame built from more of square aluminum tubes you see on the booms now, the stuff is super light.

Havent weighed it yet but it feels like it weighs about 3 lbs with the big battery pack(3S 3300mah )

were using the HKPilot Mega V2.5 flight controller with uses the ardupilot software

11. madkaw

madkaw Meh...

Pilot, you going to wrap the body in monokote?

12. Pilotx1

not sure how it will get finished out, the current wooden planks are staying as is

13. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

Who needs a camera in the quadrotor? OK, maybe for looking where it is going in real time. And for aiming the machine gun. Amazing video about it on Youtube, but can't find the damned video thread on the beeb to post the link.

14. Pilotx1

re-tuned the ESC the other day and managed semi-flight it was able to lift off and while unstable was controllable and didn't oscillate. gonna try again with stabilization turned on and see what happens

15. Pilotx1

got it to fly controllably last night, it twitches constantly but its flying and totally controllable

Id post a quick video but...I think thats a bannable offense?

16. madkaw

madkaw Meh...

I just had to post this news. I lost my Blade 350QX and Hero 3+ back on Feb. 2nd. due to a "fly-away." I searched all day and night in the hopes that I'd find it again and intact. After searching hours and miles I had given up and called it a total loss. After a few days I went to a few local township and municipal buildings to put in a lost and found report. I also posted an ad on craigslist. I thought, "what do I have to lose" plus maybe some good samaritan would actually call with some good news. Well, a month and a half later I got the call from this dude. He found my quadcopter hanging on a fence at his workplace. He happened to go on craigslist, looked in the lost and found section and found my ad! I was so elated I gave him a reward although I never said of a reward in the ad. I brought it home, charged it up, fired the motors and....so far everything works fine!! Even the GoPro works!!!

17. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

very nice!! folks say to tape a note on the arm with your contact info and reward. makes it easier for someone to find you if it goes missing.. :)

the blades seem to have an issue with flying off into the sunset. figure they'll fix it one of these days.

18. dragon

dragon Well-Known Member

How long before someone flies one of these into a sporting event into an athlete, ...Tom Brady drops back , he's i. The pocket, what is that thing? I predict government puts the kabosh on these things soon. Get yours while u can. FAA is already looking at them.

19. Newsshooter

FAA lost in court a couple weeks ago. They don't control hobbyist use, they only seem concerned about commercial.

20. WERA82

WERA82 Infidel, phone ringing...

Since my last post I've added the fpv and the iOSD for on screen flight information to my Phantom 2 with the zemuse gimbal. I love it! I flew it around down at Roebling Road after the races were over around the track. It had enough range to cover the entire track with line of sight. I flew it from start/finish to turn one and it said it was 500m away, my furthest distance so far. I took it to 150m high and still had great video reception.

It was a good thing it has the waypoint carat on the screen to find home because at turn 1 I couldn't see the thing at all....:)