1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quadcopter,Anybody have one?

Discussion in 'General' started by assjuice cyrus, Feb 17, 2014.

1. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

You think that blade 180 would carry a gopro?

2. madkaw

madkaw Meh...

No it's way too small. But I say it's a good entry level quad because shooting aerial vids take some practice and patience. Try your hand at just flying with a steady hand and see how the video comes out. You'll also find out quickly that there's all kinds of accessories and upgrades available that'll make your footage look that much better and smoother.

3. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

When Miley Cyrus starts twerking it's a lesson of what not to try to do with a helo. :)

4. madkaw

madkaw Meh...

I actually added the red and white light strips on each arm. That made for some really cool night flights. I also had a strobe light on order before I lost my quad. The strobes are wicked bright. You can add a ton of stuff to these quads depending on how much money you want to throw at it. I only wish I invested in a GPS Tracker. They should come standard on future quads so if you have a dreaded fly away you at least increase your chances of finding it again.

5. assjuice cyrus

Madkaw, Youre not helping me be patient here. All this cool stuff you keep talking about makes me want to stop at the local hobby shop and just buy whatever they have so I can be in the cool crowd... :D

6. madkaw

madkaw Meh...

Lol, sorry. I'm almost talking myself into buying another one too.

7. madkaw

madkaw Meh...

IMHO, you should buy the Estes Proto X.

World's smallest quadcopter and it's a blast to fly.

8. assjuice cyrus

Come'on! How am I going to run that little thing into the back of my wifes head while she is cooking and cause any damage? Go big or Go home Man!:crackup::crackup:

9. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

just learn to fly a T-rex 500 and put your gopro on that. then you can do cool 3d stuff with the camera attached. Real men fly single rotor birds. :)

10. assjuice cyrus

I have played a buddy copter and those things take some real patiences.:wow:

11. madkaw

madkaw Meh...

The micro quads are fun for terrorizing the wife, kids, and family pet. My dog tries to get a mouthful of it. Good times.

12. madkaw

madkaw Meh...

This little guy is way fun.

[​IMG]

13. WERA82

WERA82 Infidel, phone ringing...

I have the dji Phantom 2. It runs about $850 or so. I got an extra battery and got out of Atlanta Hobby for around $1100. It comes with a camera gimble that keeps the camera level even while the quad is pitching and yawning. It is only compatable with the Hero 3. I have the Hero 3 + Black mounted.

I have had it for around 3 weeks now and have done over 20 flights with it including taking it to Tally this past weekend for the EBRS/Story of Hope event. So far it has been quite confidence inspiring. I've flown it over rivers, downtown Atlanta, and now the track. It is gps enabled and has a range of 1000m LOS.

The gps makes it really stable and easy to fly compared to other aircraft of its type. It's intended as a camera platform so don't expect it to do airobatics. :). Even in gusty winds it holds position incredibly well! It has RTH functions if you loose signal or loose sight of it and can't fly home.

This model doesn't have first person view so aiming the camera can be tricky. I'm thinking of adding that with the iSOD with the flight info so I can see what it sees and I get added info on altitude, pitch,yaw, distance, battery info, and a waypoint home. That will add about $700 to it. :(

14. assjuice cyrus

Wow, that sounds like a dam nice setup man

15. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

Some guy's pet passed away, so he took it to a taxidermist and then made this. :D

[​IMG]

16. 600k2

600k2 Well-Known Member

I wish I could make one of these. I wonder what it costs to build and how difficult?

Crazyflie

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  17. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

18. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

I'm with you on that. Somebody was flying one in a brisk wind and it was drifting towards the back straight. I have taken preventative measures since then.

[​IMG]

19. Reckless_Kelly

Reckless_Kelly Well-Known Member

FPV won't add that much unless you get the top of the line everything! I found a complete FPV kit used on one of the forums for $200 delivered. 600mw 5.8ghz transmitter, receiver, monitor, Sony camera,and all the wiring. I added a remote input switch and the iOSD, and still came out below $280. I can switch between the view of the GoPro or the fixed camera while flying, and I have about 500m range in ideal conditions (at the ranch, cell phone off, no wifi nearby).

20. WERA82

WERA82 Infidel, phone ringing...

Great price. What are you flying it on?