1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quadcopter,Anybody have one?

Discussion in 'General' started by assjuice cyrus, Feb 17, 2014.

1. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Thinking about getting a quadcopter to attach my gopro to. Thought this would be fun to play around with like when the kid is sleding riding or just playing with his bike this summer. I dont think I want so $500 phatom, but was wondering what else is out there that would carry a gopro.

Seen something call a WL V262 that a guy attached a gopro to and looks like amazon had them for $100. Anybody have any exprience with any wl toys?

2. FZ1guy

FZ1guy Hey...watch this

I fly (and crash) RC airplanes. I know a lot of guys with helicopters. They are not as easy to fly as they look. Takes a lot of patience. More than I have.

3. assjuice cyrus

This isnt a Helicopter. I have flown planes and tried helicopters, and those things take lots and lots of patience. The things I am talking about have 4 blades on them and are alot more stable to fly then a helicopter.

4. vnvbandit

vnvbandit Well-Known Member

It's the computer for the auto-pilot stabilization that costs the big bucks.

5. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

There was a guy at Tally flying around a Phantom with a go pro on it around the pits and near the track on Sunday. Looked like a ton of fun and real stable. But yeah, looks like they start around $480. I really wanted one until this morning when I looked up the price.

Then there's that whole thing about them just flying off on their own randomly...

6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Check out the video I posted in the youtube thread.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And again - not over people in the paddock and not over the racetrack. First one comes down close to the track and they'll be banned altogether while bikes are on course.

8. assjuice cyrus

Yea the WL V262 has a gyro but doesnt have the altitude hold like the phantom has. Not sure I would need that for what I am wanting to do with it.

9. assjuice cyrus

:crackup::crackup:

What does a miley cyrus video fail have to do with a quadcopter?:crackup:

10. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

WERA's version of the FAA has spoken. The no-fly zone has been established.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep. Last thing I need is someone letting their kid try and record them racing and crash a toy into another rider or the middle of the track.

12. TSC_113

TSC_113 Look At me!!!

I have the Parrot A.R. Drone. Controlled by my Android Smartphone. Has two built in 720P HD cameras with realtime video sent to the phone. I'd post the link to the website but it's full of videos so search it yourself!

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Oh shit, there was a mixup. Give me a minute. :D

14. Pure Sportbikes

Pure Sportbikes www.puresportbikes.com

I work with a film crew that uses these modified setups of the Phantom Quadcopter. Granted they are $3000+ setups and not what you are talking about, but professional level filming for WAY less than industry standard.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=aZH2bJXpBRA

The $100 version you are talking about will be fine for playing with your kids, but fine control, stabilization, dropout, battery life, etc. will all be issues that can lead to frustration and possibly money spent on damaged go-pro's etc.

In my opinion, the cool factor and awesome memories you'll get from the better quality videos of your kids would be well worth the extra $400 for even a base model Phantom. I mean, check out this vid shot with one... http://vimeo.com/84528693 They trust the Phantoms to fly around with $3500 DSLR's and $8-10K FS700's over water/snow/mud/etc.

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Wow, it's too bad nobody mentioned the youtube thread in here. It could have prevented an unnecessary vacation.

16. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I thought about it then said, ah fuck it...:D

17. Pure Sportbikes

Edited. Guess I'm a dumbass, because I searched the general forum menu for this "youtube thread", but there isn't one on the general topics page. I checked the forum rules which said to post in moderation and only if it concerns a bike. Thought I was covered. I just now searched the youtube thread, looks like a bunch of BS, not very relevant to the question asked. Sorry for the waste of space :beer:

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Where are the bikes in your video?:confused:

19. G 97

G 97 Garth

Eject eject eject mayday :D

20. Pure Sportbikes

The second one has dirt bikes, the first one I thought was pretty relevant. Sorry, I can't figure out how to delete now. Do what you gotta do.