1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Protest

Discussion in 'WERA National Endurance Series' started by Mongo, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Okay - start the complaints.

On July 15th at Grattan Raceway Park a protest was filed in the Heavyweight Superstock class of the Bridgestone/WERA National Endurance Series. The protest was filed by Team Velocity Racing against Arnchu Racing and 5150 Racing for running Brembo master cylinders rather than stock. Arnchu racing was running a Brembo 19x18 and 5150 was running a Brembo 19x20.

The rule in question reads as follows: "l) Steel braided or Kevlar brake lines may be used. Brake pads may be changed. Brake rotors may be changed to OEM spec steel rotors. No carbon fiber, cast iron or other exotic materials unless stock. No oversized rotors. Master cylinders may be replaced with exact replica master cylinders (this means same bore and stroke and exactly the same fluid displacement)."

The Brembo masters are not exact replicas of the stock. While the bore is the same (.749 inches for all 4 we measured) the stroke is not the same (.382 inches for stock and .365 inches for both Brembo's). However the main issue is the design of the piston which is drastically different and does increase the performance of the brakes when compared to the stock master cylinder.

While we do not feel the teams in question were actively attempting to cheat and were misled to an extent, the parts are still not legal and we have had to disqualify them.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Stock -

[​IMG]

Brembo -

[​IMG]

3. 92excel

92excel Well-Known Member

does that mean both team received zero points?

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yes for this round.

5. 92excel

I beleive this is no time to be a smart ass. Those guys always ride great and they have their act together. I feel bad for them but this can be a tough game. I'm really happy we got second but I hope to be riding well enough to beat them on the track.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not sure what you feel is being a smart ass - every time there is a protest people ask about points and finishes for prior rounds. I answered your question and future questions as well.

7. 92excel

My nature is to say something stupid and cruel but what comes around goes around.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Matt - what in the hell are you talking about?

9. 92excel

i mean i am apt to say something cruel about their fate and that would be stupid

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, it would be.

11. Steve Karson

Steve Karson Tcasby is my Bitch !!

No complaint, just an honest question.
    Why were they disqualified, as opposed to having laps docked like Attack did last year at willow?
    Seems that both Attack and Arnchu/5150 had illegal parts per the rulebook, and as you mentioned, there did not seem to be an intent to cheat.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Attack had a more measurable offense because the only place the gained anything with that particular modification was in the pits. And a one lap penalty per stop was a given that it was more than they gained.

In this case I have a performance advatage I can't quantify in any way so I have no other choice.

13. Steve Karson

Steve Karson Tcasby is my Bitch !!

Cool, thanks! :D

14. R6CHIC

R6CHIC no member

I have no hands-on experience with any of the parts being discussed here but just from reading the initial post, it seems that there is a contradiction. If the rule in question states that the definition of "exact replica" equates to same bore and stroke and fluid displacement, then why is the "main issue" here the piston design? Sean, how can you state definitively that the different design yields a performance advantage when the function and end result of a piston is determined by the bore size?

And if it has already been acknowledged that the teams in question here were not intentionally participating in illegal activity, and it has been stated on previous threads here that the Brembo master was indeed acceptable, by you Sean, then why DQ the team for using it? Not to mention you have already said in the beginning of this post that you have just been waiting for this issue to come up - waiting to penalize a team to get protested for this very thing. What kind of organization leadership is that? Sad, IMO, because these teams worked so hard to achieve all that they did, yes it sucks, and life is not always fair, but gee whiz, if you see something like this coming on, why not save them and everyone else their time and trouble and make a statement about it before it happens? It is like some sicko sitting by enjoying a train wreck.

Why even have rules if they are not going to be enforced? And why make rules that can apparently be interpreted however the author wants to? If the rules need revision to reflect meaningful factual data, so be it, BE A MAN and MAKE THEM, it saves everyone involved a lot of grief. Are you not able to admit an error? Words mean what they mean, not what you want them to mean. The rules seem clear enough to me that the teams being protested should *not* be disqualified. Funny that the very same words mean to someone else that they should be. The ruling on this seems just absurd. And like I said, I am not an expert but I do know how to read.

The other concern I see is that if the Brembo is (apparently now) not allowed then the rulebook is requiring teams to use stock parts, which are admittedly prone to brake fade. That is not simply a performance issue but a safety issue. It is irresponsible to require riders to operate on equipment that is knowingly not the safest setup available. Again, to me this is unacceptable leadership of an organization. This sport is already dangerous and risky and lives have been lost, some intelligence should be used here - if there are parts like the Brembo which can reduce the possible brake fade (even being the female non-racer that I am, I am pretty sure that they need functioning brakes in an endurance race), then by all means, that should be made available to the riders, if they so choose.

I have a suggestion. Let's rename the series to "Vesrah Endurance Series", because if you continue to treat people the way these two privateer teams have been treated throughout this whole controversy, then Vesrah will be the only team left who cares to compete.

15. stalemate27

stalemate27 Banned

wow that sucks those guys ride their asses off .

Last edited: Jul 19, 2006
  16. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

This is REALLY FUNNY stuff here! What the hell is Vesrah? A factory team? Does that mean that Mark's farmhouse in Wisconsin is a "factory"?

In my experience, the best way to avoid problems in endurance racing is, to follow the technical rules religiously. Not that I would know, of course...

17. Martin M

Martin M Former BRP Rider

What's done is done - I don't see Sean taking his DQ decision back but why not just modify the rule in the future and allow any aftermarket master cyl. as long as the bore is the same as OEM part. BTW I think the punishment doe's not fit the crime - how about just docking them 20 points and one position instead DQ ?

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The exact bore and stroke and exact fluid displacement portion is just an example of what would make a master illegal. Especially given the intent of the rule to allow for replacements that were not OEM but were the same brand. I was worried that riders would accidently get a 3/4 bore Nissin instead of a 5/8 so I added an example to make sure they understood they had to check the parts they ordered. It doesn't cancel out the exact replica portion at all, if it did we'd allow the radial style masters on bikes that came stock with a regular style one. How do I know these increase performance? Because of first hand testimony by the riders on the teams protested. The original excuse to run them was "safety" because they don't fade like the stock brakes. Then there is one simple fact - the machines being raced came with stock master cylinders, why were they changed? I don't think you'll find anyone dumb enough to argue they are not a performance advantage.

If I knew the legality of the Brembo's one way or the other I'd have made a ruling at the track. What I was waiting on was someone with a stock setup finally wondering for themselves if the Brembos were legal or not. I found out this morning the answer is they are not. I've saved both of these teams from protests earlier this year and while I'm sorry I couldn't do so again they are the people who chose not to measure or examine the parts they put on their machines, so trying to put the blame on me is a bit silly.

If you can I'd love for you to find anywhere I've said the Brembo's are legal.

The rules were enforced, however that is what you seem to have a problem with. We have thousand of riders who read those same rules and understood them perfectly and are not running illegal parts. While I do not feel the teams did so actively they still did not follow the rulebook and because of that they are being punished. So pick one - do I enforce the rules or do I ignore them? I'm also curious, what is your dog in this fight? You are obviously attached in some way to one of the teams.

Again I must ask you to choose one - either it's not a performance increase or it is. There are as I said earlier many riders running quite safely on stock brakes. There are Endurance teams running stock brakes. You can change the lever on the stock master to allow for more adjustability - totally legal per the rulebook - so that excuse doesn't work either.

Ahhh, now we get closer to the crux of the matter. Have you been around this long enough to remember way back in 2005 which team won the championship? I'll give you a hint, they have the number 1 on their bikes. They are oddly not yellow but blue machines and they lodged the protest - rightly so as we know now. I find it funny that people feel there is collusion between the team that won the series just last year and the team that everyone feels is the overdog. However you're all wrong - just as a point of fact we disqualified a team in the early 90's for running an illegal tailsection. Again a simple mistake and not one that truly made a difference, I'd actually rule differently now however the decision was made based on the feelings of the officials at the time. That ruling cost the team a championship in Heavyweight Production. The team name was Competitive Edge, it was owned and ridden on by Mark Junge, his co-rider was Brian Lantz - Evelyne's son. So explain to me how we play favorites and make rulings to help anyone out.

While I appreciate your sentiments about "my" leadership of this roganization I don't think for a second I lead anything, Evelyne owns and leads WERA. However I don't see any need to change my position within this organization given that none of your reasoning holds water. If you can come up with logical reasons why anything I've done is wrong I'll gladly listen to them.

19. RobbieDowie

RobbieDowie New Member

I think you're talking about Advanced Kawasaki rather than Attack. There is an appeal process described in the WERA rulebook. We mailed a registered letter requesting an appeal of our disqualification and we were blown off. No official response. You just decided to ignore your own rule book. I hope if Archu or 5150 feel they'd like to appeal the decision you'll give them proper consideration.

In case anyone reading this is wondering what I'm talking about, Advanced Kawasaki was penalized 7 laps at the 6 hour at Willow Springs last year because of cutting the front fender which is apparently not legal rather than drilling lower holes and raising the fender which is apparently legal. I'm not smart enough to see where the rule book explains this and hoped an appeal would clear this up for me. We made 7 pit stops and changed front tires twice. It was decided that 7 laps was an appropriate penalty for this. I would have rather been disqualified.

Robbie Dowie

Last edited: Jul 19, 2006
  20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Actually Robbie the team owner was notified the appeal was denied. I believe via email. In your case there was no point in an appeals board, the penalty would not get better only worse and there was no way to debate that the fender was blatantly illegal. Raising the fender would not have been legal either. Since you still don't get it I'll explain again - you have to run stock bodywork in Superstock as the rulebook clearly states. Your team did not, that is illegal. If you actually were to read the rules you'd understand it better I'm sure.

I could have easily just DQ'd you for the obvious performance advantage. I felt that docking a lap per pit stop was a better penalty. I had no way to verify how many times you changed tires or what else you did during each stop - and the penalty needed to be more than just putting you back to where you'd be if you were legal. If you wnated to be disqualified that could have been arranged, next time talk to your team owner. Of course running legal machinery would be my personal first choice.

Quite simply if you're not legal there has to be a penalty. I'm not sure why this concept is so hard for some people to grasp but it's reality. Not penalizing someone for being illegal makes absolutely no sense. Attempting to penalize them just what they gained by the illegality is just as ridiculous - why would anyone stay legal if the only penalty is being moved back to where you would have been? We try to make the penalties fit the level of illegality however there are times where that cannot be determined and a DQ is the only answer.

It's also very very simple to keep us from having to make this choice that no one is ever happy with - run legal equipment. Once you choose to break the rules someone is going to get pissed off and I can guarantee it won't be me. I much prefer everyone running legal.