1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prayers for Shaun Harris

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I haven't had a head injury since high school and my memory is going to hell too :D

2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

The brain is no different than any other organ. It will repair itself as much as it can and the body will figure out ways to compensate for the rest. Things are rarely ever the same but it's better than being dead. Doctors are a very pessimistic lot. Their job requires brutal honesty, not optimism, not hope, not best case scenario, etc, so I'm not surprised that one is saying he'll never be able to go home and be back to normal.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep. I can't blame the docs on iota. Give a family the best case scenario and the worst case happens would gut the family and get the doc sued.

4. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

I've lost massive respect for doctors after what I've been through. They have been wrong on so many occasions. If I listened to them, my quality of life and function would be 100x worse than what it is now. They call it practicing medicine for a reason.

VFR#52, Phl218, cav115 and 2 others like this.
  5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What if they'd predicted your amazing progress and you had no change at all?

There's also something to be said for pissing people off and having them want to prove you wrong :D

Newsshooter and duc995 like this.
  6. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Yea, that pretty much sums up one of my main motivators.

VFR#52 likes this.
  7. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

But I've also mentored many other SCI people to move forward and not listen to their docs. In every case they have progressed further than expected if they put the work in. That is what I'm most proud of through all this shit I've been through.

t11ravis, VFR#52, Phl218 and 5 others like this.
  8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Knowing you (and most racers) I'd use that method first :D

Ty likes this.
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That is truly cool.

That is a huge thing I've noticed with our riders with SCIs - the effort may or may not pay off but no effort absolutely won't.

VFR#52 and 50Joe like this.
  10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

When I scrambled my eggs I actually came out the better for it. I'm still a jerk but I was much much MUCH worse before. Throw in Sam and the kid and now, I'm almost warm and fuzzy. :D

I hope for the best for Shaun and his family.

SpeedyE likes this.
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've seen that too where it's an improvement. Kind of freaks me out :D

12. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

If only we knew where to punch people for their own good.

13. BigBird

BigBird blah

This is from KiwiBiker

14. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

I find that I forget the things I need.

And I'm unable to forget the things I want to.

15. trancework

trancework It's always now...

Keep pulling, you bike-crazed Kiwi git! Docs always worst case-- you have this. Rest up remember soon.... We all want you back, and can't wait to again read your racing rants. Still waiting to see you in the ATL!!! :timeforabeer:

16. BigBird

BigBird blah

any updates anyone?

17. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

Joe, similar TBI expeiences for me. My 'brain' is totally back to normal in all functions but memory at near 64 yrs old to be expected. Last month I raced w/AHRMA at Tally and had perfectly normal race experiences to include some of my besy pre-TBI laptimes. So in my case I am back. Will do CCS and AHRMA in the following season: Tally, RRR and all Barber rounds.I bought the EX500 for WERA as AHRMA only has a class for it that includes SVs. That being said, I finished 8th out of 14 both days in a class where I had the most under-powered bike. I bought the bike for WERA V5 but if AHRMA and CCS are the only orgs allowing me to race, so be it.
    Joe, with your determination and amazing progress thus far, I will not be surprised if you ride again. I hope for a full recovery for Shaun but know he has a long road. In the case of a TBI I am proof that a full recovey from said injury is possible as you have stated Joe.
    Realizing that in the thread about my injury I have become a popular target of not returning. I, with my family's support, have elected to continue with my passion. I would not deny you or Shaun the opportunity to ride again if possible.
    I said that I would not post here again, but felt that my recent racing endeavours warranted a response.
    Best wishes and my prayers go out for a full recovery for Shaun. A long road to be sure, but don't be surprised!
    Hope you all have a safe and fun GNF. I will be following closely as I still have many friends on track with WERA.
    All the best to my racer friends and WERA staff whom I consider close friends.

18. KCFirebolt

KCFirebolt Large man. Little bike.

Hey! Andrew Stroud just posted some good news re. Shaun on Facebook. Sounds like good progress. Charles

"A big Happy Birthday to Mr Shaun Harris[emoji320][emoji512][emoji324][emoji322][emoji323] yippee 53.!!!
    - Not knowing what to expect when visiting Shaun in mental rehab a few months ago, I had an amazingly pleasent surprise to be greeted like a long lost brother by a very emotional, appreciative and thankful Shaun. His mind was mixed up but he was the most sincere, humble, kind hearted Shaun I'd ever known. And in speaking with him (at home finally) earlier today on the phone I can say that his mind is functioning a whole lot better now too.
    Hope you had a great day mate and looking forward to catching up again soon brother. :)
    And Fiona you are the real champ here. Xoxo" Andrew Stroud

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

19. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Great news. Glad to hear this.

20. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Hot dayum!!