1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Practice

Discussion in 'General' started by gpracer15, May 29, 2002.

?

Which is more benificial to a racer?

Poll closed Jun 5, 2002.
  1. One long session of practice

12 vote(s)
    15.2%
  2. Two shorter sessions of practice

67 vote(s)
    84.8%
  1. AoD Jim

AoD Jim Well-Known Member

Oh shit. Sean's been drinking again...

;)

2. MotoMadman

MotoMadman Mr. Moto Riding

I thought he meant me!

3. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

I didnt try it at VIR cause I had allready been denied at North Florida

4. WERA29

WERA29 On a mental field trip...

If at first you don't succeed...... ;)

After further discussion I too agree with Jim (the one in the hizzouse :D ) that 1 longer practice session would be better. And Brad has a good point (don't tell him I said that :eek: ) about less heat cycles on the tires.

I'm changing my vote Mongo. 1 long practice for me please. :)

5. mad brad

mad brad Guest

6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

It's weird what sitting down to think can actually do to people, uh? Yeah, I have to agree that one long practice can be a good thing.

But I think it raises the issue of fairness. Suppose the day starts on a damp track. The first group or two get completely hosed. Or suppose rain is threating and the skies open up an hour into practice. With two short rounds, everyone gets a chance to practice in the dry and/or wet . Suppose some idiot trying to win practice crashes into you on your out lap. With two rounds, you may get a chance to practice that morning. Yeah, "it's racing" and "shit happens," but if it happens to you, maybe you'll feel differently (and no, it hasn't happened to me). Also, if you've just built/rebuilt a bike, you may need to make more changes than can be made quickly in the hot pit lane with a tool box. In that case, you may be better served by having two short rounds. Not everyone has access/time/money for track days to set-up their bikes. Just a few things to think about...

Overall, assuming all is going well and my bike is ready to race and the weather is stable, yeah, I like one long round of practice after thinking about it.

7. AoD Jim

AoD Jim Well-Known Member

You can really chase your tail on the fariness thing. Novices get the cold/damp morning practice while the experts get shut down for a blown motor, etc.

I don't think you'll ever make everyone happy. Sometimes you get the coolest prizes at the bottom of a cracker jack box. Sometimes you get the lousy minature baseball card.

8. WERA29

BLAH! BLAH! BLAH! :p

You've been talking to SClark entirely too much lately. ;) :D

9. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

ccs practice groups:
    group 1
    odd experts 250gp mw hw unlimited supr twins
    group 2
    even experts same
    group 3
    odd amatuer same
    group 4
    even amatuer same
    group 5
    gp singles super singles ultra lightwieght sportsman lw sportsman
    lw supersport lw superbike
    group 6
    riders school

same for sunday

10. td930

td930 Well-Known Member

don't change a think mongo....2 practices is the best way...hell ,how long have you been doing it that way anyhow? why ch-ch-change now :eek:

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Surely you must be joking! It's a good thing the guy who invented...well, anything, wasn't thinking like you.

12. WERA29

Change is the only constant, m-kay? :D

13. WERA

WERA Administrator

We actually do it both ways (yes we're bi). Just depends on the time allowed, number of bikes/groups, and what the race director and/or starter feel is appropriate.

14. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Either way works for me since I like to crash and brake bones during the first practice of the race weekend anyway. :rolleyes:

:D

15. td930

td930 Well-Known Member

no, papa....i am s-s-serious and ....don't call me shirley :D

16. td930

td930 Well-Known Member

....oh.......BTW....82% of us can't be wrong, ;)

17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I don't think you understand what I meant. I'm not saying the current formula is necessarily right or wrong. But in general, just maintaining the status quo because "that's the way things have always been" is not how you achieve progress. 82% said they prefer two practice. They didn't say they're against progress. ;)

18. td930

td930 Well-Known Member

i know what i meant :D

how is one long practice progress vs. two sessions ? i just can't feature the ch-ch-ch-change :)

19. td930

td930 Well-Known Member

example of progress

fast moving lines (express line) at disney world :D

post entry friday afternoon at the track after friday practice ( for us not so sure and/or ready to pre-enter types) ;)

20. mad brad

mad brad Guest

:rolleyes: freak.:rolleyes: