1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pit Etiquette

Discussion in 'General' started by VFR#52, Jul 2, 2019.

1. SWest122

SWest122 Well-Known Member

Can someone send this thread to Army of Darkness? :beer:

2. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

:crackup:

3. rwdfun

rwdfun

My Sunday races went well thank you

Well this escalated quickly. The reason for my last post was to avoid that but ya know.... beeb

Just to clarify, my question was more could I move it without having to wake them as the outcome would likely be the same in either case. I just didn't want to start a war with a neighbor seeing as moving a "small" trailer by hand a "foot" has caused huge issues in the past

We could but won't go into why they had 10 more feet of cord laying next to the LAG and didn't place it more courteous to start but to be fair we are at a track with loud bikes. My preference would be to shut off the LAG after racing is done as the quiet is really a nice thing after a day of racing but maybe they had work to do so that's my issue not theirs. I went over to a friends pit and had a good time in relative quiet. Every time I went back to get another beer from my camper it was still on, As the night wore on it started to seem like they would leave it on all night.

My conundrum was do I assume they are rude and go over before they close up and ask about moving it, or do I assume they are courteous and know it's loud and will shut it off at some point? I sorta figured they would but once it approached 10pm and all lights were off around their pits I came to the conclusion they may be unconcerned about the LAG. So I asked for opinions hoping majority would say just move it. Then if things blew up I could say beeb told me it was OK. sorta tongue in cheek.

You know sometime people get bent out of shape no matter what you do. Wake them they get pissed, Move genny they get pissed. Go over while still up and ask about it they get pissed

Hell maybe they read this post and figured it out

4. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

but maybe that's why he can afford the other stuff. your hearing doesn't cost him a thing, but a fancy generator would. :cool::D

5. rwdfun

rwdfun

Ha

Nelson endurance they were pitted right next to me on hot pit. My GF made a comment about how they looked professional. I did mention to her the genny though. In their defense they only had it on during the racing so I ain't mad.

6. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

If any team/rider gets a reprieve from the "LAG" rule.. it's AOD. I think they have paid dues above and beyond longer than some reading this have been alive. I love Sam Flemming's articles in RRW. Would it be utopic and ideal if everyone had whisper quiet gennys? yep.
    just sayin :)

7. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Dare to dream Greg...:crackup:

8. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I was parked by the bathrooms this weekend at Nelson, and only had my generator on during the day to be courteous at night. It's a 2000W $450 special from amazon. Pretty quiet, but still. Not gonna be THAT guy.

The only person that had trouble with the calls being heard, was probably me. So, lesson learned....Nelson said early on that they broadcast on FM 90.1. I'm going to buy a small FM radio, and add it to my stuff so I can tune it to
    the local track broadcast channel on my table going forward to hear the calls a little clearer.

Maybe something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Avantree-Por...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Kind of overkill, but I like the digital display more than old dial slide.

I just sent an email to Summit Point and Pitt Race to compile a list of broadcast FM channels for each track that I go to. IF anyone else knows the FM channels for ANY other track in the US, I don't care where, PM me the information here and I will add it to a spreadsheet listing. I'll provide it to Evelyne and Sean/Mongo and they can provide it as they wish on a sticky here, or on their web site, or whatever.

Instead of bitching (and I don't mean that in a bad way...it's just human nature) about it, I'll do something about it.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  9. Wheel Bearing

Love the team myself, but when you have $40k+ in two race bikes...

:D

Not to go too off topic, but I've always had questions with some of their setup. Like I don't know why they still insist on using air guns for tire changes...electric impacts need no monster air compressor, no lines to trip over...

10. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

From Pitt Race

91.1 Is the Kart Track Area
    88.1 Full Track

BigBird, mpusch and jksoft like this.
  11. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Nobody gets a reprieve from the LAG rule. AOD has been around a long time and they know better. They have big $$$$'s invested in their racing so a few $'s well spent on a reasonable Honda or Yamaha genny is not a lot to expect. I like Sam's articles as well. I like AOD and what they have done for the sport over the years. No excuses for a LAG. Period. Some things are sacred.

Cheers,

Dave

Gorilla George and Knotcher like this.
  12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Because it's what they have and it works. No batteries to maintain and so on.

13. Wheel Bearing

Correct. No batteries to maintain...just a 60 gallon air compressor, air lines, and air gun to maintain and transport instead. :D

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That part is easier than finding a battery Saturday morning when your regular one and a spare take a shit on you... Seriously though, simple is better in a lot of cases. Yeah it's more hassle in some ways but it's tough to screw up.

15. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Compressed air has other uses at the track as well...

16. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Now that's some funny shit right there. :crackup:

MELK-MAN likes this.
  17. Wheel Bearing

Simple is obviously subjective here. :crackup:

18. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

This is an old list but here you go. Not sure how accurate it is these days.
    7E8003AE-600C-4E8E-BEEF-97E011AED653.jpeg

BigBird, gixxernaut and StaccatoFan like this.
  19. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

i'm gonna bet, but am not 100% sure, they get the bikes on credit, or pay a discounted price in the future when they sell the bike after it's done with it's racing .. pretty sure the tow rig they had was pretty old, with over 200,000 miles. one article i read had them having to swap the diesel injectors. Again, don't know this for sure, but i don't think they are a high budget operation.

20. Wheel Bearing

They aren't for sure, but I also drove around in a 200k+ mile, 16 year old tow truck racing a Vintage class eligible bike....and I had a quiet generator. :p