1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pit Etiquette

Discussion in 'General' started by VFR#52, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Oh FFS, inexperienced? Anyone? He asked for advice!

Sorry let me just follow that up... is it not possible for anyone to ask for advice without passing through some sort of crucible of man up don't be a pussy here's logic, there's mayhem?

Answer the question they're asking if you can be helpful. If you can provide some contextual pointers, be tactful. Everyone has been inexperienced at one thing or another in their lives.

It's really that simple. Why would you discourage someone from learning.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  2. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

We have a winner! Shooting from the hip! :D

SuddenBraking likes this.
  3. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

whoosh.

You missed the joke.

BigBird likes this.
  4. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

And I hope that in some way the conversations here help guide current and future racers to be conscious of generators that make more noise than power and to position any generator in a considerate manner. So that’s also a good outcome of pinging the beeb for advice.

5. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Yes, I did. What was it?

6. Scotty87

Look who I quoted and what he said.

7. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

I did. If that is a joke, it's pretty oblique. Maybe throw in a :rolleyes:. Admittedly, my sense of humor is limited when it comes to people asking for help.

8. Scotty87

I was teasing him for passive aggressively insinuating that the guy asking for help was immature, by asking his age. He engaged in exactly the same behavior he chastised the guy for. I had no opinion at all on the dude asking for help. Maybe have another cup of coffee. :D

BigBird and OldSchlPunk like this.
  9. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Yeah, that fell flat to me because you used the word immature, instead of inexperienced. I'm prickly about learning and language.

In any case, I hope that @rwdfun has an awesome day!

And comes back to the Beeb for helpful advice.

:)

10. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

So how late is it acceptable for kids to be ripping through the paddock on loud pit bikes?

I’m not talking an 11 or 12:00 trip to the bathroom and back - I’m asking how late is it acceptable for kids to be turning hot laps, or ripping up the hill to the spectator area, etc.?

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

10pm give or take is a good cutoff for most shenanigans, that can vary depending on the event and how late we had to race.

BigBird likes this.
  12. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Nothing at the race track is more annoying than a loud ass fucking generator blasting away to ensure you don't hear any of your calls to go out. If you are one of these people YOU are a douche bag.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  13. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I am on the fence. I had very little money when I started racing and a loud genset was all that I could afford. Times have changed and stuff is more affordable sure, but it's still club racing and some folks make do with what they have.

BigBird, 969, Gino230 and 1 other person like this.
  14. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

$2000 TI and carbon exhaust on the bike they roll around on 20+ seconds off the pace , $299 LAG (loud ass generator)

15. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Harsh...

And spot on

MELK-MAN likes this.
  16. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Predators and the like changed my mind for good. I definitely get that Honda/Yamaha may be too expensive but not a $700 3500w HF special.

Wheel Bearing likes this.
  17. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Then be more courteous to your neighbors and run a 100' extension cord and put the LAG somewhere that isn't going to bother people. You can simply put a couple pieces of plywood around it to block the noise. Make an effort... Pick your pit spot away from where most are pitting then. This is common sense shit. FUCK I hate loud ass generators. Almost got in a fight with a guy at Autobahn a couple weeks ago. Dude had a brand new R6 and a stack of tires and a new 80k truck but he can't afford quiet generator. Stupid. The only way I knew to go out was by watching some fellow racers in the classes I was running. Couldn't hear the calls AT ALL over that stupid generator

Murcielago311 likes this.
  18. Wheel Bearing

Loud pit bikes are a very close #2 on the top list of annoying AF things in the paddock, with LAG being #1.

Shenanigans and JJJerry like this.
  19. Wheel Bearing

The best is when you say "How about putting that in your pit and not so far away from yours that it's in mine?" and they're like "it's a race track bro!"

:crackup:

mpusch and MELK-MAN like this.
  20. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

i don’t even really mind them when they are being USED to accomplish transportation.

but when my 4, 5, and 6 yr old are trying to go to sleep at 10:00, i am a bit cheesed at whoever the parents of the kid on the 110 with a fart pipe is, lapping around my tent city.

BigBird likes this.