1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pirelli tire selection

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Pneumatico Delle Vittorie, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

finally tried the new 190/60 SC1 on my R6. made zero setup changes and it worked great. Curious if anyone has made setup changes with the newer tires on the supersports

svracer22 likes this.
  2. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

My chain is too dam short to try the 190. The 180 Pirelli is larger then the Dunlop and I am already hitting my exhaust when it gets hot. Prob 1-2 links short. Will transition to it once I get my chain addressed. I would imagine you would make some additional adjustments with the height difference.

3. ____Kurt____

____Kurt____ Active Member

I'm not surprised about the motion pro being that far off. That's why I went with the long acre pro gauge. They guarantee accuracy within .1 psi. For $140.
    What gauge did you get?

4. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

After reviewing published data I see this
    P 180/60R17 190mm wide and diameter is 656mm
    D 180/60R17 184mm wide and diameter is 656mm
    The new P 190/60R17 is 195mm wide and the diameter is 662mm

5. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

But what about the shoulder circumference, Jeff?

:D

6. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Yeah, yeah, yeah, aren't you supposed to be forking something up this morning? And I'm shocked that those shocks aren't rebuilt yet :rolleyes:

7. Atahan Koymen

Atahan Koymen Well-Known Member

Shoulder circumference??? Mike if you dont mind can you explain what you mean? I did Google but all I get is broken Shoulder pics

8. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

All I know, is the Dunlop 180 rear fits easily into my swingarm area and the rear warmer is easy to put on. When I do a trackday and there is only Pirelli vendor there, I run the rear usually. The tire rubs my shit when it gets hot and the warmer does not fit as well. My wife helps quite a bit with my warmers and said the same thing. I like the Pirelli rear, but Dunlop front.

Pirelli guys told me last month the 180 rear is going away and tried to push the new 190 on me, but I am already having problems with the 180 fitting so I knew not to try the 190 yet until I can get the rim further back in the swingarm for clearance.

9. metricdevilmoto

Most tire data sheets we see show the width and diameter of tires in mm. But the diameter of the tire at the edge of the tire where the friction surface meets the sidewall (the shoulder of the tire) is also really important in regards to setup and understanding how one tire will work vs another dynamically. The 190/60 has a diameter 6mm taller than the 180/60, which means radius is +3mm, so that's your change in ride height. But, at the shoulder, the diameters measure 525mm (180/60) and 530mm (190/60), so the difference in radius is +2.5mm.

Atahan Koymen likes this.
  10. metricdevilmoto

If you are on an R6, your wheelbase is way too short.

11. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

I am. It is. 2017 R6. I need a new chain.

12. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Mike 25 years ago everyone was hung up on tire circumference questions and I would remind them that diameter is what you need to look at. o_O And yes if you look deep enough some tire companies data sheets do have the second diameter specs listed.

13. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Well you race and chains do wear out so now is the time to make the change and go faster on the 190/60.

05Yamabomber likes this.
  14. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Just ordered chain. I do like those Pirelli rears. Thanks for the push.

15. mgiossi

mgiossi Well-Known Member

What about us sv guys? I know I run the 180/60 and love it but no way a 190 will ever fit in my swing arm. All the twins guys are pretty much running 180s at this point. If the 180/60 goes away what are we left with? Go back to 160 or switch to dunlop who is still making the 180 (no thanks)

16. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

There are 180/60s available and if you use a Pirell rain it's a 190/60 so...

And 180/55 slicks are too readily available

17. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Go down to the 180/55 SC1 (what I was already running in SC2 form). Other option is to see if a 190 fits as it is only 5mm wider so it might squeeze in as that is just 2.5mm per side. Pretty sure the warmers will be seriously into the chain at a minimum.

All the other options outside of the D are not slicks, but some of them might work OK.

Oh, and if it rains, I sit. Swapping wheels, flipping the front sprocket over (to work with the stock wheel setup), adjusting the rear ride height isn't worth the effort unless it is going to rain all day. I would be more likely to pick up a spare wheel and another brand's 180 rain tire if I go that route.

What we need is the World Superbike Series to run a Twins Cup. Then Pirelli would have 180 slicks and rains for us. :D

18. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

The new ape may help improve tire selection for these twins but SVs are a North American phenomenon. In Europe they are tiny tiny tiny in sales

Last edited: May 25, 2021
  19. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

OK peeps here you go. The vendors may still have some Sc0 & Sc1 180/60s on their trucks but the long P warehouse has zero. The goods news is the 180/60 slick will STILL be available in Sc2 & Sc3 compounds in the future. And don't forget the Diablo Supercorsa TD (aka Sc3) DOT is a option. So let's see here for a Pirelli 180/60 you have 3 choices.

And the initial reports from the fast SV guys using the new 190/60 are very positive and that the bike even seems to track better.

Last edited: May 25, 2021
    2blueYam, 23103a and 05Yamabomber like this.
  20. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

Yeah im on a 17 R6 and mine all fits, I have 114 link with 15/45, works great but its about 3mm from my Graves Works 3 exhaust

05Yamabomber likes this.