1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

People who should not be effed with.

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You mean the media sensationalizes things? :D

2. G 97

G 97 Garth

:crackup: Damn you. :D

3. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Animal stories will get top billing on local news every day, and twice on Sunday.
    A number of years ago (1985) a humpback whale swam its way into the delta and finally into a dead-end slough. It was 24/7 media coverage. I wonder if Craig has some photos? :D

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Anything that gets the populace all riled up will get covered. Can't sell ads without viewers of the media :D

5. G 97

G 97 Garth

A 190lbs 6 ft. - 3 in. female cougar / mountain lion, don’t understand the exact differences wondered into West Des Moines a couple of year ago and a cop shot it and killed it. :(. Of course they simply couldn’t have tried to trap it or sedate it and relocate. Just kill it.
    6B272CBE-CDBB-4AD9-BC0E-CE8339042987.jpeg

LisaU, gripped and SpeedyE like this.
  6. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

No, I didn't go out there for Humphrey, but I certainly remember it. :D

7. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I only have anecdotal information, I started studying to work in wildlife management when I grew up, got sidetracked into photography. :) . Yes more people have moved into lion habitat and conflicts are up. Biologists and wardens I've talked to have said numbers are higher. No One likes to talk on the record about cats, too inflammatory. Fact is they need to run dogs and collar cats to get good data and there isn't the funding for it. Anecdotally, deer populations have decreased in many areas, but drought and habitat have played a part too. Though I can remember mountain meadows with browse lines on the brush due to overpopulation and I haven't seen that in a long long time. Forestry and WM, Humboldt?

8. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

WOW!!! What a Huge beautiful House!!! WOW! <3

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Can't hide corn money.

SpeedyE likes this.
  10. SpeedyE

Running dogs on any animal is barberic.
    Also, puts dogs in jeapordy.
    Humans encroaching is only reason for wildlife conflicts. Dont see many big cats in NYC, haha
    No reason to study anything, adjust and coexist if you move to woods.

"The deer are eating my tomato plants" :( ....Put fence around or move back to city, easy peasy

LisaU and ToofPic like this.
  11. SpeedyE

:(

12. SpeedyE

13. SpeedyE

Garth, they are Angels <3

[​IMG]

G 97 and ToofPic like this.
  14. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Hmmm. While I have a lot of friends there (and colleagues who studied there), I'm going with not "prominent". Hint: Starker Leopold.

15. G 97

G 97 Garth

I wish I had some.

SpeedyE likes this.
  16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Prominent university full of expletive deleted communists :crackup:

I'll explain in person over a beer :D

SpeedyE likes this.
  17. G 97

G 97 Garth

@SpeedyE I’ve tried to work up the courage but considering they’ve been in a cage for the night I can’t do it. LOL.

With the exception of one coon, and I’ve trapped probably 15 of them in seven years, only one has been a little nasty. Most are so fucking scared I feel for them but they actually respond a little when you talk to them. I just don’t want to feed them. LOL.

Probably one of the more pretty animals are the skunks that I’ve trap. They are beautiful, they really are. The little ones are funny because they haven’t fully developed their stick glands then they turn and raise their tail at you but nothing. LOL.

ToofPic and SpeedyE like this.
  18. SpeedyE

When they Gape super big teethy mouth they scary looking. I rubbed chicken on my forearm once when feeding some, and laid in cage, and it bite me thinking I was food. It was powerful/painful....lotsa long teeth. let it bite me 2 or 3x, then i had enough, hahah. possums dont have rabies or any diseases, very clean animals. their ugly fur is actually incredibly soft, like mink.

Garth, you Good dude, you always been a Good dude <3

G 97 likes this.
  19. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Sorry bro. I have no google links for this theory. Just anecdotal data from a friend in Thousand Oaks who lost his Frenchie to a mountain lion. Several neighbors have had dogs attacked also.

it’s just weird to me that they’re moving into neighborhoods.

20. SpeedyE

LOL!!!! They are cute!!!!!
    W/out going into any detail, NEVER let a skunk bite you(!). Never handle a skunk. Handle cage w/ rubber disposable gloves if skunk in it. Spray disnfectant/bleach on cage after release.

G 97 likes this.