1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overpants v Riding Pants

Discussion in 'General' started by SuddenBraking, Jul 25, 2020.

1. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Doing some research for what textile pants to wear over shorts on rides to/from the golf course during the summer and getting a little crossed up between riding pants and overpants. Don't need a ton of protection - really just not looking to ride in only shorts, if I'm being honest, and it seems like most overpants are designed to be used when it's raining (they all seem to be GoreTex) over "real" riding pants.

Is there a product for my use case, or do I just need to get really oversized riding pants to fit over my shorts?

2. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

You could put your shorts in a back pack or a some other tote and wear your riding pants to the GC, change for your round of 18, then wear the riding pants for the trip back home.

Just an idear.

Sabre699 likes this.
  3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

WHY NOT?

4. SuddenBraking

Because in weighing the risk/reward ratio of ATGATT vs probability of crashing, I generally come down on the riskier/less gear side of things.

Just is what it is........not going to get into full leathers and gauntlet gloves for a ride to the golf course.

5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I guess there's a serious disparity in our philosophies of risk/reward.

What about Aerostitch? Is that something you're looking at? They've expanded their product line a lot over the original oversuit...still pricey, too.

6. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

So besides that, how you carrying your clubs? Asking for a friend. :)

scottn, Phl218 and Sabre699 like this.
  7. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

Clubs stay at the course in a locker. For pants the First Gear HT Air overpants seem to work reasonably well. Removable waterproof/wind proof liners and mesh on the outside with padding built in. Fairly durable as in last quite a long time but sacrificial in a crash from what I have witnessed. I unfortunately know of 3 people who have experienced 4 crashes in these pants and they provide reasonable protection. Last I looked which was years ago they were on version 2.0. I have owned a set for around 15 years but will only ride dual sports in them, I like my Aerostich for pure street riding.

8. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

Overpants are just that. Designed to wear over jeans or pants to work or something and then take them off. Should still have armor. Different flavors of materials depending upon weather (mesh, fabric, goretex, etc) but sized to fit over a pair of shorts or pants.

riding pants should be designed to wear solo maybe bicycle shorts or something under neath them. Same material and armor options as overpants

at least that was always my impression from using and selling gear for a few years.

9. SuddenBraking

As the next poster said, I keep my main set at my club......it's about 30 minutes away from my house.

10. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Well excuse me, Judge Smails. :D

SuddenBraking likes this.
  11. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Ahem...

http://forums.13x.com/index.php?threads/strap-that-helmet-tight.368439/

12. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

Aerostich. Buy once...cry once. Best piece of riding gear I've owned and wish I had bought it decades ago. You are more than welcome to check out mine.

13. SuddenBraking

I’ve thought about aero, but I’ve already got tons of jackets and don’t want to go all out right now on pants as I’m planning on losing a bunch of weight (flame away).

14. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

You carry your clubs? :p

15. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

See post #9

16. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

On the course, silly.

fastfreddie likes this.
  17. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

He belongs to “a club”, he has people to do that.

18. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Do they also slap the fork out of his hand? :cool:

19. SuddenBraking

I always (almost always - the TTR125 putt-putting around the cul-de-sac is usually an exception to that rule) wear a helmet when on a motorcycle. I crashed a couple of months ago on my grom wearing mesh shorts and crocs, but I still had a helmet on :p

20. SuddenBraking

I carry when I can. We've got two courses (both really nice), and the nicer of the two requires caddies before 2PM (maybe 3PM) so that's obviously what I do when there. Other than that, I pretty much carry 100% (only take carts when I'm playing at public or resort course with friends or when visiting my parents in Florida).

[EDIT: Related to the Washington Football Team thread, here's our club logo - methinks that's going to be changed sooner rather than later........

upload_2020-7-26_9-17-59.png ]