1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Orlando cop gets full disability for Pulse PTSD

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Dits, Jul 13, 2017.

1. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

I suppose, it depends on what you mean by "any kind of public service", if within the PD as an officer then technically, you can continue to get your rage on......at least until we go over the liabilities involved in allowing a potential psych patient carry a gun. And NO, technically, you cannot disarm a police officer here and highly doubt the bobbies will let him into their pension fund. :D

If you're speaking of him filling in any other gov position, hence my janitor remark/joke earlier in this thread, then I suppose it MIGHT be possible to roll your police pension into the public sector pension since here in NJ they allow the opposite to occur. I've known many of folks who were former probation officers or courthouse employees of some sort (all under the public pension fund) transition over to the P&F specific pension fund once sworn in and completing their probationary period. Never have I seen it the other way around simply because it won't offer the same pay, benefit package and obviously retirement option. Non police/fire gov jobs, you basically work til retirement age like the private sector.....for those who are thinking, "Oh, heaven forbid!" Well, you'd need to know the history but through much of the country the same holds true, government jobs that have a private sector equivalent don't pay no where near the same salary, it's a big reason why gov lured people into those positions through the existence of a pension fund.

As for taxpayer money and since you indicated you haven't read the thread, I'll say it again.
    LEO's make a contribution into their pension fund every pay period, in NJ that amount is 10% of your salary. The government (city/county or State) is supposed to match/contribute the same amount, as part of the agreement. So to be clear, that fund is only 50% funded by taxpayers, the other half is from active duty LEO's. Once retired [OR disabled] THAT is the pool their monthly income is drawn from, NOT from the current annual tax collected funds.

I've been meaning to ask one of the disapprover's, so I guess I'll ask you, what kind of injury, if any, should a police/fire member be able to retire (disability) without ridicule?

cav115 likes this.
  2. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Again , he chose the job.

Couldn`t handle it. That`s fine.

Does not entitle him to taxpayer money for nothing. Get a job, any job, and support yourself. It doesn`t matter if he doesn`t get his pension and bennies. He couldn't fulfill his duties.

This is not an injury. He is still capable to work.

3. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Stop being thick, taxpayers aren't funding his disability....PERIOD (so long as Fl. does it the same way as NJ :D). He DID along with taxpayer matched contributions over the course of his 12 yrs, think of it as an employer matched 401K if it'll make you feel better. Taxpayers from that county, this year and every year after that will NOT be paying for his disability checks.

I know this can be tough stuff to digest when you're getting your hate on but there comes a point one begins to look foolish arguing a FAKE point.

Also, to continue on your "he chose the job" rant......that goes both ways. Most of us take the job knowing if something bad happens, we'll be compensated.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  4. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

So no taxpayer healthcare or pension funds after he quits??

And bullshit, nothing "bad happened" He could not handle his job; he was not shot or attacked and injured. I got news; in the private sector, you`d be fucked. No one would give a rats ass.

And I would not expect them to.

5. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

HC coverages is a good question, not sure.
    His monthly 'pension' amount is coming out of the pension fund I described a million times, NO longer from the annual taxpayer taxes.

I won't keep harping on the same points, can you honestly answer me this, is it just THIS specific case that makes you feel this way or is it ALL police/fire disability claims? If the former, where do you draw the line on types of injuries?

Also, do you know how many bodies this guy processed to speak so quickly on his abilities or there lack of?

6. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

When he walked in there and knew we had to process bodies he could have turned around and walked out he chose not to.

And in the end he ended up quitting anyway right?

Nobody was forcing him to do that

And no not a job I would want but if I chose it and couldn't handle it I wouldn't expect entitlements or compensation

We just see things from private sector versus government sector that's all

You said so yourself that if something bad happens to you you should expect compensation

From a private sector view that's a laugh

7. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Ok now you're just being silly and clearly have no idea on how given assignments work in a para-military organization. NO, you don't have options when assigned a detail.

If the guy was on the job for 12 wks and this had happened I'd be the one who would need calming but you're being over the top.....again NO ONE knows this guys history, he could have processed 200 bodies in the last 11 yrs for all we know, how ridiculous would your "couldn't handle it" remark be then?

And YES, let me say it again, in this line of work you better sweeten the pot for the what if scenarios otherwise NO ONE will want the job. Conveniently, like you....Otherwise, who you gonna call when shit like this happens>>>>

YOU???? :crackup::Poke:

8. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

As I see it you're over the top now that guy can pull out at any point all he's going to get is reprimanded or fired don't act like he was forced to do that that's b******* and you know it

I think any man who chooses to do a job should do it and if he can't that's fine but don't expect compensated and baby because of it no matter what it is you chose it

9. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

And you know what you don't know me from anybody for all I know I would do fine at that job who are you to say different

Maybe a little full of yourself

We have soldiers in battle getting killed and killing other people on a regular basis you think they don't have it worse?

10. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

What about the Morticians and other professionals that have to handle the bodies post-mortem?

Why don't Coroners suffer from PTSD?

They were on site to help with the investigation and clean up as well.

They get up the next day and guess what? They go to work. Gruesome as it is, but it's their job. Dead bodies are their business.

And as horrible as the shooting was, police, first responders, EMT's, coroners, ALL deal with the after effects of murders, suicides, car accidents and such.
    My girlfriend was an EMT for 20 years. She's seen it all. She's cleaned up after it all. When we first met, she worked a volunteer shift one night at her station
    that had a couple car accidents that night....fatalities involved. One of them was a decapitation. She didn't volunteer after that for a while...she needed a little
    time after that one. But, then she found out she had breast cancer, and she hasn't been able to volunteer since.

11. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Now you're all over the place, I've never said anything about who, what or why....all I said was YOU don't know squat about what potentially made this guy break. Hell, I never even said this guy has made a rightful claim because I'm not some emotional cop hater who knows it all....meaning the FACTS of his LE history or mental records. If I'm wrong please do share them with the rest of us, I might join you guys on the outrage.

What we DO know is we're not all created equal and some can handle more than others. I went 26 yrs, have seen a good number of death over those yrs and I made it without having to file a disability claim, thank God. Reread that first sentence.

CLEARLY, to you none of that matters....right? Those soldiers cho......well, you can read it below.

Also, do those soldiers also have the option to say NO when assigned to one of those dangerous regions?

12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Y'all are giving me the Post The Stupid Daily Disorder

cav115 likes this.
  13. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

I thought that was an accepted disorder being a Dungeonite? :p

14. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

1. Not a cop hater.

2. Doesn`t matter why he quit; what I said was no compensation afterward. Please pay attention.

3. Being in the service carries a lot different penalties than being a cop, when it comes time to quit. I`m sure you knew that.

4. Yes, they chose that with eyes open, I hope. Do you think soldiers in a war zone don`t know the realities?

15. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

16. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

After less than 10 years I would hope he does not get disability but instead finds productive work. The world has a lot to do and he would likely have a better life doing something instead of setting on the couch for decades.

17. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

$38,500 a year after 9 years?
    That's not even starting pay where I live.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  18. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

No kidding, wonder what they pay the janitors?

rowe748 likes this.