1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Orlando cop gets full disability for Pulse PTSD

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Dits, Jul 13, 2017.

1. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Good luck with that ambition, I know it's a huge carrot up here too....numbers drastically different though, like everything else between our locations.

2. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Good thing cops get paid for doing a whole helluva lot more than just looking at dead/injured people, huh?

The guy collecting garbage might think you have a dream job too, not sure how any of that is relevant. Better jobs exist out there, it's always been that way.

3. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

You'll see worse shit in an R rated movie.

4. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

No vesting early and only benfit is actual personal contribution? Was the job offered to make the 20 year minimum going not going to have realized the benefit as pro-rated -- ie 12/20* pension rate cop + 8/20*pension rate deskjob. If it works differently there it's nothing like here.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No, and I won't be describing it. It's bad enough I know I won't sleep tonight just reading the thread and thinking about it.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's way different when it's real, even worse when it's your friends or the guy you went to dinner with the night before.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm not dissing cops and you know damn good and well I'm not in the FTP crowd. But a LOT of people see things as bad or worse than this cop did and manage it. I'm not saying it didn't affect him, I can't see how it couldn't, but every homicide cop out there sees worse regularly and doesn't need early retirement and pay for not completing the job.

8. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

I would think quantity would be a major factor, a half day for one murder vs having to spend a couple of days or however long it took for the club.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Homicide detectives also worked Pulse, as did many other cops. The homicide peeps spend time at the scene and then time with all of the pictures and data for as long as it takes to go to trial or finalize the case.

I'm sure the quantity makes a difference but there were a lot of people dealing with the same thing. I'm also not remotely saying the cop doesn't have PTSD - just that this end result seems like bullshit.

TXFZ1 likes this.
  10. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

I agree and personally do not have a clue about PTSD. About as close as I come to it is from reading. Michael Connelly addresses it in his Bosch series, it is fiction but he does have some LAPD detectives as mentors. Another thing to remember is we all do not respond the same as each other and detectives/others also did not have to take it to trial but to case closure. I would guess they spent as little time as possible. Did they arrest the wife or girlfriend?

To me, the BS is he did not try the other position, just refused it. Makes me think he didn't want to be a cop afterall, found an out and took it. Just speculating, but guess he was called in due to the time and not due to his experience. The news was watching everything and the city leaders didn't want to be associated with any negative.

11. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

"benefit" :D

Actually, I misspoke earlier but only cuz the details vary from State to State and I didn't feel like looking for the answer as I just did>
    "More than 10 years less than 20 years of service
    • If you are discharged or voluntarily separate from the Department, you may make an irrevocable election to remain vested to receive a monthly pension benefit beginning at age forty-seven (47). This election must be delivered, in writing, to the Police Chief within thirty (30) days after separation or discharge.
    • If you are over 47 and elected within the 30 days to receive a monthly pension, the pension shall begin at the date of separation. Your pension amount will be determined by computing your average monthly pensionable income for the last three (3) years of service or five (5) best of the last ten (10) years, whichever is higher.
    • You shall receive, each month, two percent (2%) of the average pensionable income for each year of service up to but not including twenty (20) years."
    http://www.cityoforlando.net/pension/police-pension-fund-participants-retirement-options/

OK so Officer Realin is 37yo, had he just been relieved of his duty or reassigned to being the next school janitor. He'd have to wait 10 yrs before receiving the pension he was vested in. And the amount he would be entitled to is roughly 24% of his $70K salary, again this would happen in 2027, $16,800/yr. Sound like a good deal to you?

Now someone in the know with public sector jobs will say, "Yea but in those 10 yrs he'll now be vested in the public sector pension. So there!" :D

For starters, I'd love to know what that other job offer was?
    How much did it pay annually?
    And what are the pension terms of said job?

Anyhow, if that kind of business became a standard occurrence, I cringe thinking about the [negative] impact it'd surely have on future police recruitment.

Not at all, you're one of the few here who have been consistent on what the vast majority of LE personnel try to do, to protect & serve their communities. I was just speaking on the notion that others have expressed that the benefits/pensions that police and fire receive are so dreamy....but yet, most are not willing to run out to pursue that career.

As for your second point, agreed. If one pursues this profession they SHOULD be able to mentally and physically adapt to the demands of the job. However, until you do it, really there is no way of knowing for sure. We don't know how many bodies this guy has processed in his 12 yrs do we? I mean most human beings have a breaking point, as I alluded to earlier, some cops are completely ok until they process a scene with children. Almost everyone has a breaking point, maybe for THIS guy, seeing 50 bodies in one place slaughtered was his final breaking point.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  12. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

I was kidding I am sure you have seen horrible things close up with people you care about and know.

13. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Would you know what that position was?

14. dsapsis

Like I said -- pro rated. He gets everything he has earned to that point, and another job to go into that also has a pension plan.
    Deserve vs earn. Not hard.

15. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

No I don't, I assumed admin.

16. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I agree with you Mike but I think you're getting too emotional with this one. People are really bringing up good points and you're calling them FTPers.

17. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Right, as if you know what that job offer was, what it pays annually and offers pension wise. And he was supposed to just forgo the protection of disability that came with the job description he signed up to do? Please....so easy to say when it's not your livelihood or finances at stake....

So I guess we should allow these authorities to provide alternative actions/jobs/pensions/etc.... with all disability cases moving forward within the police& fire sector huh? :rolleyes:

Tell ya what, legislate that in Cali first, and let's see how that goes before we make that suggestion to the other 49 States.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  18. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Not sure if this was directed at me or not......mostly cuz my name isn't Mike....:D......but the rest could apply I suppose if my replies are misunderstood. LOL....but NO I'm not calling everyone questioning this 'action' FTP'ers at all, just merely trying to explain the process.

19. dsapsis

My assessment of his pension was a whole lot more accurate than yours, Blart. No offense, but you're a piker.

20. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

So this thread is about whether or not he would have been entitled to a pro-rated pension and shaming him for not taking a job offer that apparently no one here knows what it was, what it paid and what it offers....Gotcha! :rolleyes:

And NOT about whether or not he was scamming a pension and/or if that option should even exist. OK. :rolleyes::rolleyes: