1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Orlando cop gets full disability for Pulse PTSD

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Dits, Jul 13, 2017.

1. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

So what stopped you from pursuing a career in LE, Beac83, you know, since it's so lucrative in salary AND pension/bennies??? :crackup:

NO, for 12 yrs of service, in that example. So 24% compared to 70% he would have been entitled to if he finished off his career with the additional 8 yrs. BIG DIFFERENCE! So disappointed in him and ALL police & fire who sustain career ending injuries and opt out for disability.....pussies. :rolleyes:

Right, lotsa companies still out there that offer matching up to 6%, how often do we see people railing against those jobs? LOL!

Name one non-governmental job that mirrors LE work...I'll wait. :eek:

It cracks me up, reading these replies on how awesome Police & Fire have it, who knew? I mean why are there so many Cities, right now, lowering hiring requirements just to get more applications? Haven't all these kids today heard how awesome this line of work is??? :rolleyes:

2. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

12 years, I stand corrected.

The rest of your arguments are of the LE jobs are so special category, which I do not buy into.

Yes, they are difficult jobs, as are a number of others. People choose their professions, and accept the consequences.

I am not complaining about my pension benefits, or lack thereof. I just make my financial plan based on the facts.

I'm also not saying that the pension benefits offered government workers are all excessive. Rather, I said they were a damn good deal.

cav115 likes this.
  3. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Yea, not so sure about that. So you never replied, why didn't you consider the LE career?

4. beac83

Imagine a gay guy joining the force in the 1970's. Not willing to put myself into those conditions. And it was not allowed in most jurisdictions.

I ended up in Broadcasting, where my interests and passion lay. Lousy hours, crappy pay, union busting is standard practice, no appreciation, work Holidays, nights, weekends, etc. See dead people and distraught survivors, etc.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  5. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

I see your point, I keep forgetting you're Orvis' age.... :crackup:..... :Poke:

6. _indy

_indy Well-Known Member

I read page one. Sorry the side like BS I could not make it to page two let alone 5

Could this be BS, sure. This guy used to risk his life serving as a Police Officer.
    Unless you have had to deal with ONE dead body caused by a gun, let alone 40+ Shut the fuck up.
    I was spared Jones town, a buddy at McDill AFB went. He was never right after that clean up.
    They didn't call it PTSD back then, as a SGT he didn't get shit.

Just think about all those welfare A-holes that never worked a single day, let alone put there lives on the line. There getting a check.
    Think about our elected officials ONE term and life time benefits. There in harms way. REALLY.

That was a tragedy, and the aftermath will effect many for the rest of there lives. I won't come back to this thread, just pisses me off. So flame on.

7. beac83

:moon: You are not that far behind.

And you are the one who is re-tired:Poke:

8. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Indeed and feeling lately. :oops:

9. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Probably but I was figuring somewhere there is one funded. Likely a small town

10. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

No way.

Was he traumatized? Don`t know.

That`s part of the job; and if it screwed him up, ok, quit.

But that kind of compensation because you can`t handle your job??

11. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Welfare bums are your reference for compensation?

He CHOSE that profession; you don`t get to claim later it was too much for you and demand others take care of you the rest of your life.

Get another job, be a man, and get on with it and don`t sponge off others.

cpettit likes this.
  12. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

You forgot the makeup part :Poke:

Just kidding thought I would toss in a stereotype joke :beer:

cav115 likes this.
  13. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

@XFBO , Some guys on here just have a chip on their shoulder about police officers. They simply can't get it through their heads that cops are just people. Some are average, some are shitbags, and some are heroes. The problem is that they see everything through their FTP filter and rush to judgement.

Then there's you. You have the opposite issue. You're equally ignorant because you put every single cop on a pedestal and refuse to acknowledge the minority of police officers who are shitbags and pretend they don't exist.

None of us knows whether or not this guy is full of shit. If he's that messed up and can no longer do his job, I feel for him. I've seen some pretty hard core soldiers break after they saw or did too much, so it's not impossible that this guy is a wreck. It's also not impossible that he's gaming the system and cheated his way into getting paid to do nothing. We can't assume either because cops are no different than any other group of flawed humans.

14. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

I agree with a lot of what you said, but I don't see XF as refusing to admit shitbag officers exist. I see him as quick to defend given that he's been in tough spots on the job and knows that it can go wrong in a hurry even if you're not a shitbag, just reactionary. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure I've seen him call out a few obvious shitbags. Even in this scenario, I've seen him throw out some possibilities, but not actually "defend" the officer. Throwing out alternate hypothesis does not necessarily equal defending. Quite frankly, I'm convinced that sometimes he just throws stuff out there to be a debative dickhead. (Is debative a word? If not, it should be) :D

15. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

OK, now you've gone too far. I was going to praise your explanations of police work and pensions but now, no way.
    :D Ok, wtf, yeah I'm getting old.
    I will add this to the pile that's accumulating. I have several family members in LE some that are well into that career and some that have retired from it. Just within my family there is a big difference in how doing the job has affected their personality.

An uncle, actually great, great uncle, was a Sheriff in West Texas in the 1870s/80s and saw some pretty serious action in that lawless part of the country but hung in there until finally stepping down. From the history that I could find out about him, he got to deal with the Comanche nation (Quanah Parker), plus a ton of not so lawful individuals found in that part of the growing West. Wounded a few times, but still alive. A cousin, joined the Texas State Police in 1962, worked patrol for about three years but resigned because he just couldn't handle the mental trauma of crashes, shootings, etc..
    My son-in-law retired from the N. Mexico state police in about 2000 after reaching the rank of Captain. He became a hard minded person over those years, caring about nothing, and it showed. He and my daughter divorced about the same time. She told me that he ceased to show any emotion about anything over the last ten years on the job.

A nephew and his wife, both police officers with the Austin PD, worked patrol and traffic, then finally making rank enough, and passing the tests, to transfer to criminal investigation because of the stress of working the streets.

I said all this to add this. XFBO is telling it like it is. Police work is a rather unique profession that subjects people to a kind of daily grind that, for most people, is mentally disturbing. Not everyone can cut it for a full career. The negativity can, and often does, wear a lot of folks out.

beac83, XFBO and cav115 like this.
  16. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

I agree, and have many customers/ friends who are LEO.

They do an amazing job in tough conditions.

They also chose it. IMO, they aren`t entitled to lifetime of comp if they can`t cut it.

XFBO likes this.
  17. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

:rolleyes:
    Man, I REALLY try to be patient with folks on here, most times, but,man, this level of ignorance from someone calling ME ignorant is a f'ing riot. :crackup:

This is classic SEEING WHAT YOU WANNA SEE in another person's post. Big sigh....

TY for paying attention.

18. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Could be. I'm not perfect either so maybe I projected. It's just a conversation man. I'm okay with the idea that I could have read you wrong.

XFBO likes this.
  19. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Thank you JBraun.....I appreciate you giving it further thought before committing to your (very inaccurate :Poke:) analysis of my presence in here.

FWIW- I'm far from being perfect too. :D

JBraun likes this.
  20. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I have not bothered reading this whole discussion, but I find it hard to believe that the officer in question was so severely affected that he is unable to perform any kind of public service work whatsoever in return for his share of the taxpayer's money. XFBO, your perspective?

cav115 likes this.