1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official 2019 MotoAmerica silly season thread.

Discussion in 'General' started by 418, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Jaketheone46

Jaketheone46 Well-Known Member

I fully agree with this.

2. Why? What other alternative would you suggest? Since the racing in BSB seems to be sucking it really doesn’t seem to be working does it? Trust me the stk 1000 teams have a more difficult time on the data side of things than the sbk teams. It’s not that complicated, trust me. It’s not much different than a kit or flashed ECU, the biggest difficulty is knowing what numbers to put in, not how to enter the data. The Motec stuff is pretty user friendly, I actually have one running my golf cart right now that I was just f ing around with.
    There are 4 options for ecu’s and people still complain.

3. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

What? I have suggested MotoAmerica use what BSB does from day 1. I didn't say anything about not running it.
    You said they (MotoAmerica) are using more capabilities. I said it's enough as it is for BSB. They don't need to add to it. It's fine as BSB uses it. Can't really explain it more clear than that.

MotoRapido Ducati did a good rundown with the 44teeth guys about what the Motec unit entails.

I posted it before but here it is again. Looks like they have plenty to deal with to me. It works and the racing is great. No need to complicate it.

4. twodocs

twodocs Well-Known Member

This sport is hard to understand for most people. Many parents are anti-motorcycle.

I didn’t buy my 1st bike until I was 25. But I could have a 500hp truck in the garage that every neighbor hated.

It took me 10+ years and a whole lot of research to get an idea what I was involved with. I couldn’t explain it to anyone.

My brother who is one year older than me and always asked ‘what are you watching and why do you care’ with motor sports has finally become more obsessed than me as I was 10 years ago.

He said our willingness to die and the risk was what he admired, but it took him a long time to see the risks (and my accidents).

I’m still ready to suit up. But like y’all. I ain’t dying (I mean this in special ways, for those that are literal).

5. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

As far as ECUs go, not complicated. Still needs a guy, though, maybe two if you have budget.

Robby-Bobby likes this.
  6. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Rick, are you an example of "that guy," or more comfortable spinning wrenches only?

7. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Either one. Electronics are what I spend much of my time doing and what teams seem to need.

8. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

that was mostly just data logging. that vid didnt show anything concerning any adjustable parameters of the ECU. there was some discussion about torque maps, but they weren't shown. even Stock1000 can data log that much if they want. that part of racing isnt going away.

9. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Don’t be a hater! And it was a pleasure helping you park all the hooligans too!

Robby-Bobby likes this.
  10. lonewrench

lonewrench Mr.Charles

How is it tough to use ? they arent allowed any strategies.

11. You can’t do it that way because then it’s either spec Ecu for all or if you run the spec unit you get no good stuff that even a flash can do. What MR do is not much different than you can do with a kit ecu. There people in the ma paddock that do exactly the same without and aftermarket unit. They are just playing with offsets in the tables. This is often more time consuming than just adding or removing tc/ aw, etc. It’s your form of tc and aw.
    This was my point of the data entry is the easy part, knowing what data to enter is the harder part. They spend a lot of time analyzing data, that’s where their money is spent. The physical electronics are a very small part of their electronics budget.

Once again even if the MoTec is more user friendly you still need to put the right data jnto it.

You can spend days just on throttle offsets. Some riders like the throttle very linear other like a plot that’s like an exponential curve. Then you have different conditions at different tracks where you need to identify certain interactions and come up with an offset for that scenario. You can do all this with a kit .ecu and a data logger. The MoTec has one with it but it’s nothing special compared to others on the market. That’s a cost people seem to forget when taking about kit / flashed units.
    The reason the BSB works is they all run the spec Ecu in sbk and ss. Then they turn off most of the stuff that’s available in the unit so it’s like building a sbk Motor but only allowing 25% of the air in. This is where I don’t get the argument - the bulk of electronics cost is the people to run them correctly. The MoTec does have some nice cylinder mapping features but once again, you need a tuner that knows what they are doing and those people aren’t cheap. You can also spend a lot of time doing close to the same with a kit or even a flash. The BSB paddock spends a lot of money on electronics staff, nobody complains about the equipment cost(except when you send a MoTec dash cartwheeling 100’ in the air) but they do complain about the staff to run it. That being said the bigger teams that run sbk and stk 1000 spend about the same on data staff.

12. My point exactly and you of all people know it’s not an easy job, especially on a tight budget. Just the time between sessions going over the data correctly ideally is at least one person. To be honest I don’t know how you did as much with Hayden as you did. You made it look easy which it’s anything but that.

13. He’s referring to what people do with throttle tables. He watched the video and they look at a lot of data just change the basics vs just changing the features that come standard on bikes now a days.
    If that’s all you can play with (aside from mapping, engine braking, spark,.. the basics) you will focus your time on making those ideal. If I was a betting man I’d say your bikes aren’t a 1:1 throttle input vs actual :)

14. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Thanks!

In a nutshell in BSB there is enough for someone to go down the data rabbit hole if they choose. That's all. I should send future post to you first for editing I guess lol. You explain it better.

Not complicated but it needs a guy, maybe two. If it wasn't complicated it wouldn't need a guy at all would it? Lol.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  15. Like I stated, you can and should still optimize even a flash or kit ecu.

16. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Absolutely!

17. Cawk Star

Cawk Star Well-Known Member

That's what I was getting at. The OEM money is growing the series. I do not watch FE because I have no interest in it right now, so I'm not sure how good the competition is. However, FE will continue to grow and so will the competition side because of their OEM money. If MA had more factory involvement, it would help their series. We all know how good Superbike/Supersport racing is and can be. Jeez, you didn't have to be a cunt about it.:)

18. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

It's an Electronic Control Unit, not an untied sneaker.

19. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

So you are saying it's complicated?

20. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

In a nutshell: Electronics are only complicated because you don't know what numbers to put in.