1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official 2019 MotoAmerica silly season thread.

Discussion in 'General' started by 418, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

There is no magical way to build interest in a niche sport in this economy and with general lack of interest in all types of motorcycling. So maybe it is time to rethink this and change the rules. For instance an open tire championship would bring other companies and that means more investment and interest. And as I said earlier you can RUN a series with multiple tire brands and without cheater tires if you have the right procedures in place. Different brands of spec fuel could be put in place and monitored to prevent cheating too. And limiting electronics packages in SBK could be added.So we can guess, suggest, and bitch about the current state of MA road racing till the cows come home but it won't change a thing.

So dammit who's riding what next year so I can see closure to this thread :Pop:

2. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

You forgot millennials. :D

3. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

I would say the millennials parents who don’t want there kids to be near the dangers of a motorcycle. I graduated high school in 2002 and there was only one kid in the school besides my self that rode motorcycles. Also at the time there were only a handful of teenagers who were racing from my state. For this sport to keep going you will need more kids to be involved. Cam and Josh Herrin are doing a good job of trying to grow motorcycle racing in the U.S.

4. yokohama1

yokohama1 Well-Known Member

This is definitely one side of the problem. You only need to look to the “stories of Loudon” thread to realize that you can blame some of the decline in popularity/success on society itself. Very rarely these days do you hear about antics like what used to happen in the campgrounds at the races. Lack of testosterone in our youth? They just aren’t interested in fuel, fire, and danger in general... unless maybe a parent had that lust.

5. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

This generation aspires to driving a Prius. It’s just going to get worse from here. You’re deluding yourself if you think otherwise.

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Not anymore. Toyota is having issues selling prius like they did even a few years back.

This generation doesn't care about driving, Uber is killing the auto industry. lol

track wagon likes this.
  7. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

“Prius” is a metaphor for car-as-an-appliance.

8. HoyaXC07

HoyaXC07 Well-Known Member

What is flat track doing that MA isnt?

9. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I think this is the essence of the issue. Young people don;t care about driving or riding, but I think they are interested in participating in dangerous or seemingly dangerous activities vicariously. I look at things like the X-games and video games. The question is how to attract them to MA and other series. I think a better show is part of it and that is where things like Redbull, stunts, Ducati Island, music and a midway full of cotton candy and rides comes in. It has to be a cool hipster event. I think the one area of motorcycling that attracts the millenials and newer is their version of "Cafe Racers" they don't care that much about the factory versions because they are too caught up in the philosophy of people being craftsmen and makers. They will pay big money for cobbled together junk based on a Yamaha Virago before they will spend half that on a GSXRYZF Ninja. They are not interested in racing where all of the bikes look the same to them, except for the paint on the fairings. I think if MA had Superbikes based on naked models that could be identified as a particular brand and no electronics except for reflahed ECUs or piggybacks that only controlled fuel and timing we would be able to attract the newer generations. Look at Attack, they are makers and builders. Yosh used to be identified as that, FBF, Dr. John Moto Guzzi, San Jose BMW, Butler and Smith were all makers of cool stuff and all could win races. Lets make some cool stuff that the non-motorcyclist can appreciate.

turner38 and lonewrench like this.
  10. Hoffman900

Hoffman900 Well-Known Member

Go to any rock climbing gym, cliffs, mountain bike trails, etc. It's all millennials. Ever been to a The Race of Gentlemen event? Mostly millennials.

$4k in mountain climbing gear or a decent mountain bike is a cheap donor bike to race with, let alone everything else you need. You can also fit it all in your apartment in the city (where you live because that’s where the good jobs are).

Too much get off my lawn here. As a millennial, I'll pull that only baby boomers would be so self important to think everyone should like things exactly as they like them ;)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  11. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

There is a small percentage of "kids" these days who still appreciate speed, driving, motorcycles, working with their hands, etc. Let's just hope they don't get discouraged to the point of no return by those who still live in the "golden era" and who dont look at today as the golden era...

We have to make the best of what we have and make than most of the opportunities given to us. Endless complaining and driving with the rearview mirror don't work. Look for new ways to grow the sport, take chances and persevere... and if it doesn't work, then at least you can say you didn't watch it fail from your couch.

Now, to get this thread on track... how about some Twins Class discussions.

12. Hoffman900

This.

As a millennial, if you don’t want to discourage youth in a sport or anywhere, then drop the MAGA, “the heyday is over”, “riders today aren’t what they use to be”, etc.

Our future is now. If you think we all suck, we’ll just go elsewhere and do our own thing (which we are). If you want to stymy our growth in order to hold on to something in your youth, we’ll just go somewhere else too.

I saw a headline one time that said, “Stop blaming millennials for killing things that suck”. Kind of how I feel about a lot of these complaints.

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

:crackup:That's pretty good.

14. Hoffman900

15. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I am not saying that Millenials are killing racing. I am saying that racing as it is does not appeal to the general populace, including the millenials and the solution is to appeal to your desired audience. My suggestion is that there are some things from the past in motorcycle racing which may be appealing to those who are not currently attending. Lets be realistic about how to make racing more attractive. While burning RVs, flashing tits and drunken debauchery are no longer viable, they were a big part of the show at some venues and did attract fans. What can be done to attract fans now? Better closer racing with more riders having a shot at the win would help. I think the twins class will help, in fact, I would like to see it replace the 600 class. I would like to see a naked class.

r6boater likes this.
  16. Hoffman900

Promote the sport where the kids are. Make it Instagrammable and look cool.

Josh Herrin is doing a fantastic job, but we need like everyone doing it. People will go to events that “look cool”. The TROG looks cool. It’s all over social media that matters and they get a huge turnout. In turn, sponsors show up and sponsor the event / set up booths / etc.
    Want to showcase your talents in front of a bunch of rich people that may sponsor you, get yourself to Goodwood and kick ass on an old Norton.

IMO, the X-Games aren’t what they were, but it gets the sport in front of people that don’t know.

More of the general public knows about the Isle of Man TT than MotoAmerica. Yeah, it’s a crazy event, but turning riders into celebrities like Guy Martin, Ian Hutchinson, the Dunlop’s (RIP to William), having riders show up at events like Goodwood, etc all help.You see more write ups about those guys than you do MotoAmerica riders. Why?

Not to knock someone like Cam Beaubier, as he is immensely talented, but he goes into hiding and his social media feed is him playing golf sometimes. Like, that won’t get the sport exposure. Guys like him should be talking Yamaha into bringing out some vintage bikes to some high profile events, generate buzz... a guy like the late Nicky Hayden, besides being talented, also was super accessible and just had a very good / open personality, got to go on talk shows, made for good interviews, etc. People like that stuff.

grasshopper and racerx13 like this.
  17. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Yes! That's what has been missing here. I am hoping to see some massive grids like we saw at Barber and Pitt Race but everywhere. We know @ghetto customs is mounting a strong defense of the 2018 title with a new whale shark fairing to suck in more air for that SV. The rules confirmed that bikes are allowed a +2mm piston or up to 700cc whichever is less which means @apmoto is going to bring a little extra something in his 84 foot long trailer to meet the new challenge. Coupled with the softer tire compounds Parrish tested at Barber, expect lap times to drop in Twins. I think Andy said he has 7 bikes spoken for and Turner says he's running the whole series. Madama is in again too. Still waiting to see what Dumas is riding I think if he is moving to Twins or not. Maybe the main question is if any SBK/SS teams will field a Twins entry as a stepping stone for a team rider (like Dumas?). I'm sure others have more info on Twins, but this can get the ball started...

badmoon692008 and r6boater like this.
  18. Steady T

Steady T Xaus Power

My money's on either Parrish or the mild-mannered scooter hoon.

r6boater likes this.
  19. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

The podcast with Dale 1/4ley was pretty cool and he mentioned that he may give twins a go.

20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Millennials are too busy vaping, growing ironic mustaches and buying $10 coffees and protesting the social injustice of dogs and cats wearing fur to mountain bike and rock climb. The new facility in this area with rinks, a monster turf field, rock walls and all that cool as shit is full the f@ck up with the generation younger than Millennials and the generation older.

But not all millenials are worthless penis vaporers. I see a lot ultimate frisbeeing and trying to convince anyone who will listen that it is actually a sport. :D

AC1108 and brex like this.