1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official 2016 GNF thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Gayest post in the history of the internet

shakazulu12, Phl218 and sowega like this.
  2. Mick6R

Mick6R Well-Known Member

Sell the RSV4 and 675, keep the Duc for coaching/random race, and get the 2 R6's to race.

BigBird, Phl218 and Gorilla George like this.
  3. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Use it for some track days. You put a lot into it, and I think you've said part of your joy is the ordering parts process. Just keep it for awhile as a fun bike, or maybe even for some occasional street rides.

EDIT**** looks like everyone thought you should use it for trackways or coaching.

I think Livengood is telling you what will make you a better rider. If you are fast enough, can't you run the 600 in the A classes too, since we know you really want to run 1000 races every weekend.

Just having to deal with trying to get your geometry correct again after a gearing change would make me want to not race the ducati. Top that with 40 minute shifter adjustments....I'm with your mechanic.....no F'ing way!!!!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
    Gorilla George likes this.
  4. That sounds like the most sensible plan.

5. Yep, for sure. I have done that (race a 600 in the 1k classes) many times.

The issue is battling and making passes. People often say "lap times are lap times", but qualifying and racing are drastically different. The lines that might be the fastest lines (especially on a 600) aren't always the best "race lines". They often leave you exposed to passes and aren't very conducive to making passes yourself.

90% of passes are made on the brakes. To pass 1k's on 600's you have to carry a ton of corner and exit speed in the previous corner, stay in the draft as long as you can, then make a crazy divebomb move on the brakes.

The problem is that puts you entering the corner on a tighter line, effectively decreasing the radius, which equates to slower speed at apex. By doing so you essentially converted the corner to an exaggerated point-and-shoot corner...which falls right into the hands of the guy on the Liter bike. So then he holds the brakes a tick longer, gets the bike upright, and fires past you on exit.

Which means not only did you not complete the pass, but you also lost 1sec in that corner because you didn't run the line that is necessary to make use of the 600's strengths.

Rinse and repeat.

On an empty track (especially a smaller one), I could run close to identical lap times on a 600 and a 1000. But battling 1000's on a 600 is very aggravating.

Phl218 likes this.
  6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Either one, I tend to alternate just to piss off the people that prefer the other one :D

7. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Good plan Broome. Question, why wouldn't you just buy one more 675 and lose the rest? That's your favorite bike correct? I know one thing, my dad stopped riding multiple bikes a couple years back. Ultimately during a race you could maybe get the best out of them but even if you're comfortable it's still gonna affect you for a lap or two or three. It helped my dad a lot focusing on one bike. Racing guys that run the same times but the first lap on each bike he'd give up a second or two. Game over then.

8. Boman Forklift

I get that. Tyler has raced slower bikes against faster bikes and you are 100% correct. I also remember it frustrating him at times. If you want/need the extra track time for your fix, as competitive as you are, it will make you a better rider.

I really believe it would be better to do this, and be slightly less competitive in the A classes, vs. riding two different bikes, assuming you really need to run those extra races each weekend for your fix. Four races plus your Grom, is still quite a few.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

One bike would be the best move for sure.

Phl218 likes this.
  10. Boman Forklift

Just had another idea, which may kinda work.

Have a 3rd SBK R6 that Livengood builds to make 0ver 140+HP and run that one in the A classes. I'm not really sure how hard that switch back and forth would be, but I've seen Joey Pascerella on a very fast R6 battle and beat 1000's, and it sure didn't look like he was getting pulled on the straights. Granted he is a heck of a rider.

11. I agree. Plus no matter how physically fit you are back to back to back races on different bikes is mentally draining. Focus on honing your skills on one bike, making that the best bike you can and riding it the best you can. Currently with a Duc and R6 you are at opposite ends of the spectrum. Not as drastic as a 125 vs a duc but you get the point.

Phl218 and Gorilla George like this.
  12. That's been a good formula for quite a few folks.

13. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

Many guys race well in multiple classes.
    That said, when the results matter and they are racing against top level racers, they focus on the important race.
    You only loose a tick, but at the top level, that tick matters.

The concept that riding several versions of the same chassis (with different motor builds) could facilitate a 'break through' on chassis setup, or how to ride 'that' bike.
    Stumbling onto a solution is as good as arriving at that solution through analysis, albeit slower.

14. He is a heck of a rider, and he doesn't weigh 215lbs without gear. My R6 is really fast and makes good HP (for a 600), but it doesn't have the torque. That is what makes the difference.

Even when I run a "corner speed" type of line, get on the gas early and hard, and "have a run" at them on corner exits, the momentum quickly swings the other way due to their extra 40+ft/lbs of torque.

Granted, that is talking about when im battling against Experts on Liter bikes. The WERA Expert Liter bike grids are very strong. The grids might not be as large overall as the C/B classes, but the guys in them can all ride.

Advanced group at TD's on a 600 is no problem at all. But giving up that kind of power to guys that are really good racers, with me also having a good size disadvantage to alot of them, makes it tough when I'm on a 600.

It is fun and I love doing it, but it gets aggravating.

15. Shit. I hadn't even thought of that. It makes perfect sense because I already have one ready to go.

It would also mean i could do the HWT races which gives me more classes.

You might be on to something.

16. Brian Van

Brian Van Track Gear Retailer

Sell all your bikes and buy 2 Yamaha R1's. Why the fuck do you want to race those little bikes man, your weight and size are a disadvantage on the smaller bikes IMO. Focus your efforts on the 1k classes and get rid of that mini bike too.

If you buy 2 R1's you can have even numbers of every thing which is most likely going to be the key to your success.

Van

17. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

Everybody is giving their opinions, but I haven't seen anyone, including yourself say what your goals are or what makes you happy during a race weekend. Do you want to be as fast as possible on an R6 to run MA? Do you get joy out of riding a shit ton of races and being as competitive as you are in all those classes? I understand that focusing on one bike will probably help you get faster on that bike, but how much and is that worth? Is it worth giving up the enjoyment you get out of racing all of the other bikes in different classes and allowing you to be on truly competitive machinery instead of riding an R6 in a class to get extra races in and being frustrated? If it were me, I would have to figure all that out for myself and fuck what anybody else thinks about my choices.

BigBird likes this.
  18. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

You should buy more new bikes. It's your job to keep the US motorcycle economy afloat.

BigBird, Gorilla George and 5axis like this.
  19. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

I'll admit that you on a 250 would make people nervous. Because I have a feeling you would go quite fast on one.

20. 418

418 Expert #59

Ive always wondered how fast you'd get if you focused your effort into one bike and quality vs. quanity as far as track time. I know you love just plain riding but leave the multiple bikes for trackdays and stick to racing one bike.

And yea, I think you'll get faster for sure. I think now you're just spreading yourself thin. Unless you're Spencer it's hard to ride multiple bikes per day and get the very best out of them.