1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Odd tire wear pattern

Discussion in 'General' started by Ra.Ge. Raptor, May 26, 2017.

1. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

Some sources say so. Others that the RS replaced the PP3's . I've read both.

2. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

The PP3 was a street tire, the same as the RS. It's designed to handle the heat cycles. If that tire is what they are now calling a PowerCup Evo(I don't know) then they are not designed for the street and Michelin does not recommend using them on the street. Even though they are a "DOT" tire.

Edit: not saying that has anything to do with what you're experiencing, just info.

3. Ra.Ge. Raptor

That tire is the "power supersport evo" 50:50 street:td tire. It's not the "power cup evo" which is a race tire.

4. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

Ok. So that's the tire the RS replaced.

5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

As others have pretty much stated, that wear is an indication of power applied abruptly to lesser lean angles, like after the apex and accelerating.
    Try applying less throttle earlier (full lean), building up to full throttle (not gaggin' it with a handful) as you exit and that "hump" will receive its due wear.

The other thing is the dual compound. You're cookin' the street portion which prolly lends towards making you feel you have no more tire to use. The pic is evidence to the contrary.
    To give a bottom line, it's time for you to move on to race compounds.

MELK-MAN and Ra.Ge. Raptor like this.
  6. Ra.Ge. Raptor

7. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

trying to compare a track day, sport tire.. to a full on race slick ? yea. F-ing brilliant.

no.. i was actually racing motorbikes for a few days, leaving for a NEPG national enduro in the morning, then off to VIR to roadrace again a few days later. ;) ;) Keep us posted on the TT!

"defective" ? yea.. whatever. What do you expect when you are slow at lean, then whack the throttle with a very little lean ? (answer is, "expect to get a tire that looks like his " )

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  8. MELK-MAN

do have to work hard to be such a dick ? or does it come naturally... (rhetorical question. no need to reply).

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  9. MELK-MAN

[
    this..

10. MELK-MAN

good riding !! .. you are asking a LOT of a street/sport tire. Especially at that pace (pretty decent) with a high HP bike.
    As Eddie and others stated, you can see (and hear) that you are opening the gas quite hard once the bike is picked up, without using a ton of lean in the corners . that is why there is a good amount of rubber, and that shelf on the edge of the tire. The EVO competition rear, is gonna wear better for you, and unless you are commuting on the same bike ( i suspect you might be) it would be a better choice for your pace. I don't think the EVO competition rear, is all that much more than the supersport either. It would be better to use warmers on the EVO race tire, but i don't think you would have to if you are used to sliding around a little on the opening laps of your sessions.

11. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Yes, I understand that. But at his pace (mid-pack intermediate) it should not have been wearing to that degree, especially on a brand-new tire. He had run street/trackday compounds at that pace before and they had never worn like that. Only reason he ran the slick is that I had an extra one with me.

12. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Hey @MELK-MAN ,thanks for the reply.
    My pace is good for a street rider on his 3rd track day ever.
    I read all the comments about earlier throttle application and I'm working on various aspects of my riding.

The supersport evo was a huge disappointment because I had high expectations. Especially for the track. This funky wear pattern did not happened only to me. We all got the same comments, "slow down your rebound","earlier throttle application " etc.
    As I've already written,too much coincidence here.

I have had nothing else but Michelins on my bike for the last 10 years. It's the first time I'm having a problem with them. I'll give the new Power RS a try,nevertheless.Street riding,too,that's why I wouldn't feel comfortable on fully race rubber.

Edit: btw, I'm not on the supersport evo's at the video. And that tire did not grow a funky wear pattern despite my amateur throttle hand.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017