1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Odd tire wear pattern

Discussion in 'General' started by Ra.Ge. Raptor, May 26, 2017.

1. I've never seen a street tire run at 25psi hot. That is like 21psi cold...which is way low for a street tire.

Most people think "lower the pressures for track use so you have more grip". But street tires have a higher silica content and build heat quicker; they aren't made to handle low pressures combined with the loads generated at the track. The lower psi will allow the carcass to flex more, generating even more heat.

Not only will they be unstable, they will overheat, get greasy, and give you some drastic wear.

Hell, I run my Pirelli race rear tire at 24-25psi hot depending on compound, conditions, etc. I can't imagine running a street tire that low.

Ra.Ge. Raptor likes this.
  2. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

The Evos are the DOT race tires. 33ish/25ish hot pressures.
    I have no idea how a race tire would wear pressured up to 35PSI and once a funky wear pattern started track use at the correct pressure might have exacerbated the problem. I would either get in touch with Stick or David at Island Racing and see what they say though.

3. I thought the "Supersport" version was the street version, sorta like the Q3's. But I don't keep up with all of Michelins name changes.

If he was on the full blown race tire, then disregard my previous post.

Ra.Ge. Raptor likes this.
  4. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

Nope again.
    This is a power supersport evo 50:50 street/track tire. Michelin recommends 25 psi cold pressure for track use.

I had 4-5psi pressure increase ,29-30psi hot pit (-ish) pressure (immediately get off the bike, grab my gauge and take a measurement).

5. Ra.Ge. Raptor

I always fitted Michelin tires on my K6. This is the first time I'm having problems with them. I will try their new power rs ,being positively biased. I'll report back if/when I'll visit the track.

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  6. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

OK. My bad. Chris was right. Melka needs to make his tire naming less confusing. :D I thought the Evo was just race tires.

MELK-MAN and Ra.Ge. Raptor like this.
  7. I just want to make sure this gets captured. :D

MELK-MAN likes this.
  8. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

25 is the track use pressure for the race tire. Sure you are not confusing the Evo and the supersport Evo. Have you spoken to your Michelin rep

Gorilla George likes this.
  9. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I am just chalking this one up to the blind hog finding an acorn / stopped clock being right 2x a day phenomenon...:D

10. Ra.Ge. Raptor

25psi cold pressure. I believe it's 21psi cold pressure for the track tires .

11. Ra.Ge. Raptor

12. notbostrom

I looked and Michelin site says 27 starting. By chance do you use rear brake or a lot of engine braking?

13. While that (25psi cold) is a lot better than 25psi hot, that still sounds low for a street tire.

When I used street tires (like on the 675R Staff bikes the school had), they were around 28-30psi cold IIRC. Any lower and they would overheat.

14. Ra.Ge. Raptor

yes, all the street tires I know of need 29psi cold for track. But Michelin is supposed to take advantage of their 2ct+ and adaptive casing technology borrowed from their race tires and is the only one recommending 25psi cold for track use on a 50:50 tire. See the link I posted above

15. Roger that.

16. Ra.Ge. Raptor

No,not at that riding skills level...

17. notbostrom

Have you tested your pressure gauge against a know accurate gauge? Only thing left I can think of

18. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Yes I have.

It wasn't only me having this wear pattern. My buddy, too , and another friend from Athens. as I already said, too much coincidence here...

19. notbostrom

I got nothin...

20. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

Is this the tire that the RS replaced?