1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Odd tire wear pattern

Discussion in 'General' started by Ra.Ge. Raptor, May 26, 2017.

1. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

My first initial thought and question was if this was a dual compound tire.

2. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

You would be right if this was not my first and only tire that wears this way.

In addition, that's exactly what I would've thought,too.

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  3. Ra.Ge. Raptor

By the way,here's a short clip of me at the local track. Just an average td & street sportbike rider but not THAT bad :D

4. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

your right hand is not nice to rear tires

5. That isn't an issue of getting on the gas too late (and hard), rather than rolling on smoothly coming off apex. Not saying the OP doesn't have a bad habit of doing that, but that isn't what the tire looks like when you do that too much.

I know what that particular wear looks like, I sometimes do it myself. When you do that too much, the tire will be worn drastically (and if on DOTs, the tread will be gone), starting about 1-1.5" up from the side of the tire.

That tire doesn't look like that. That is a ridge, or an indentation. It isn't worn excessively, it looks like the tire broke down from the inside.

6. caferace

caferace No.

Interesting theory. OP, what's the date on the sidewall? It should be numerical with six (or four) digits inside of a pill shaped oval.

-jim

BHP41 likes this.
  7. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Agreed. But the wear on the tire I had on the bike during the filming was absolutely normal from the edge to the center , without any ridge.

Plus it was only my 3rd ever td. I'm a better rider now . I became a member here last summer searching for info on riding techniques . Most forums are full of shit, on that aspect. I stumbled upon this place where there was some great info and people like chaotic with his tl;dr posts (I read them Chris :D ) have been really helpful. But the true progress came through Ken Hill's amazing podcasts,that I found here,too. I can't thank him enough for that.

I've been doing some fundamental mistakes ,like not getting in place for the upcoming turn before braking. My overall technique is far better now. And most importantly, I have things to work on and improve session after session.

Lastly, coaching was not an option.

Gorilla George likes this.
  8. Ra.Ge. Raptor

It's a late '15 tire. Something like 5015 iirc.

Interesting theory but it's just excessively worn hence the ridge. It was just chewing up that band whatever I tried.

9. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

Something is also wrong with your Speedo :D

10. How would you know something is wrong with his Speedo? And what exactly is wrong with it? Not your favorite color? :D

11. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

Maybe he likes the man thong...? lol

12. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

N
    No, Speedos will do. And Brrome, you know I like blue. Stop pretending you don't know :Poke:

13. caferace

caferace No.

:crackup:

-jim

14. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Aren't there as many or more multi compound Dot's as there are single compound? Makes no sense to write it off as "dual compound tires do this". Don't think so or it'd be more common. Looks defective to me.

As for Melka he's prolly doing damage control on some other forum. His shift hasn't started here yet lol.

pscook and Gino230 like this.
  15. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Nothing defective about it.

Wrong tire for the wrong settings for the wrong conditions for the wrong bike. Seen every brand out there do the 'zact same thing. And once you start chewing the fuck outta your tire, it's done, pooched, stick a Shanequa innit, ain't nothing putting rubber *back* on a tire.

As much shit as I like to give Greg for his blind adoration of the Sta-Puft Marshmallow Man tires, ain't nothing to blame Michelin for. :moon:

fastfreddie and crashman like this.
  16. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Running race pressures on a street tire.

17. MotoGP1199

MotoGP1199 Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  18. What squadron are they in?

19. Ra.Ge. Raptor

I started this thread just to see if there were others with the same(-ish) wear pattern on this particular tire model.
    nope. Michelin recommends 25psi for track use

20. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

25/26 hot. I wonder if the wear is due to the higher pressures you were using not allowing the tire to squat like it is supposed to?