1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Odd tire wear pattern

Discussion in 'General' started by Ra.Ge. Raptor, May 26, 2017.

1. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

so, my riding buddy and I have bought and fitted the exact same tires and have the exact same odd wear pattern on our rear Michelin supersport EVOs . Too much coincidence.... I have never seen something like that. It has never happened to me or my buddy, we did not simultaneously forget how to ride ,for sure.

Happened to any of you guys using this tire?

IMG_3518.JPG

2. condon66

condon66 Member well known

Just looking at it and knowing nothing else I would guess more psi needed?

3. Ra.Ge. Raptor

No. This wear pattern appeared with 35psi riding the curvy mountanain roads and it got ALOT worse at the track with the recommended by Michelin pressure (25psi iirc) and the bigger loads , of course.

4. G 97

G 97 Garth

You do know that you can actually use the tire all the way to the edge. :Poke: :D

Too much compression. ???

5. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Haha , yeah I've been using all the previous ones to the edge . :D

G 97 likes this.
  6. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

My buddy had the exact same problem running the exact same tire (brand new) on his 2004 R1 at a trackday.

The thing was just disintegrating everywhere around the track, and when following him I could see a black line being left on the pavement accelerating out of every corner. It was toast after 4 15-minute sessions.

We put on a Dunlop KR449 slick after that and it wore perfect.

He sent an email to Michelin and they basically told him to kick rocks......

Ra.Ge. Raptor likes this.
  7. Ra.Ge. Raptor

thanks for the feedback!

maybe Michelin has gotten something wrong with this tire's carcass .

8. Ra.Ge. Raptor

I messed a lot with the clickers keeping notes for every change at every session. nothing worked.

9. Where is Melka when you need him? :D

Gino230 and TurboBlew like this.
  10. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

I dread what's coming. Brace yourselves, about to get all the "info" you could ever want on why that's impossible, Michelin is the best tire in the world, and especially that Dunlop sucks. Also, it was all your fault, because see above.

Gorilla George likes this.
  11. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I chased wear issues on several sets of Michelins with a similar wear pattern to OP, finally gave up, and went back to Dunlops.

Ra.Ge. Raptor likes this.
  12. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

Also, stop what you're doing, strip the suspension off your bike and send it to Mike Fitzgerald. Lastly, chuck a set of EBC pads in the calipers, just because.

That should cover it, unless the thread turns to discussing engine builders.

Gorilla George likes this.
  13. Ra.Ge. Raptor

thanks for the replies guys.

I even found a little article from a couple of years back that reports the same issue.

IMG_3523.JPG IMG_3522.PNG

14. OldSwartout

OldSwartout Well-Known Member

Dual compound tires like the Michelin Supersport EVO will do that, the extent depends on the type of riding, how heavily the bike is loaded and tire pressure. Increasing the pressure a few pounds above recommended will help if you're street riding as it will help keep the center hard compound loaded more and the softer side compound loaded less. If you're on the track, where you're loading the soft compound most, there probably isn't much you can do. High mileage street riding will do the same to a dual compound front tire if the pressure isn't high enough, leading to some very strange handling characteristics.

15. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

What's with the weird tire profile of the tire in the OP? Top right hand corner it's like it's got a lump in it...

16. Ra.Ge. Raptor

no,no there's no lump! its wear pattern is THAT odd... I should've got rid of them earlier , that's all. but there wasn't any issue for riding the twisties at the mountains. they did not perform as weird as they look.

17. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

Pretty sure @ Summit or on his way there.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  18. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

It is not a lump, it is more of a ridge. Basically what is left behind between the edge of the tire and the harder compound that runs through the middle of the tire. My rear Pirelli slick eventually starts doing that after 3-4 track days. The tire is pretty well shot by then anyway.

You should be able to reduce the tendency to create this "trench" between the edge and middle of the tire a few ways:
    You can add a little pressure to the tire. You can get on the gas a bit earlier and more gradually. Run a different brand of tire or different tire that has a wider band of "hard" tire in the middle or is all one compound across the whole tire.

19. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

He's out back changing his rear Michelins due to funky wear patterns.

bleacht, MGM, Gorilla George and 2 others like this.
  20. To be honest it looks like you are getting on the gas abruptly and way too late. Was the bike a 1000 by chance? It looks like you are waiting until the bikes almost stood up and getting on the gas vs rolling on the throttle. Looks like there is almost no edge wear at all as well. These tires may be more susceptible to an odd wear pattern but lots of guys go fast on them without a wear pattern like that. I've seen a slight dip more towards the outer edge from a guy who muscles a bike onto the fat part of the tire and gases it but not from a smooth rider.

MELK-MAN, Odilup and throwdown like this.