1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NorCal....School me. Alameda area.

Discussion in 'General' started by Captain Poo Poo Pants III, Dec 8, 2018.

1. No go on Tracy. A guy who I work with now lived out there and commuted to south SF everyday. I’ll spend more before I live there. It’s just way too far.

code3ryder likes this.
  2. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

Due to the super commuters, there really isn't peak times but if I had to put a number, I'd say 530am-10 and then 2:30-7. 880 is almost always busy every day during most of the day.

What hurts this area the most traffic wise is the bay itself. You have arterial freeways on each side of the bay with the feeders coming from the east bay (walnut creek, fairfield, tracy)

Please excuse the shitty ass map but I hope it helps with what I'm trying to say

map.JPG

880, in red circle, sits in the middle of the people coming into the bay (blue circles), not to mention those of us that live in red circle itself, to get to the southbay and peninsula via the bay bridge, the san mateo bridge, and the dumbarton (hwy 84, my bridge). 880 is crushed in both directions with people coming from the NE bay to get to the southbay/Pen and the people coming from the SE bay to get to the north end/SF. It's the same in the afternoon, just opposite. So, the 880 never really gets a break.

If you didn't have the bay, you'd have many more north/south and east/west thoroughfares. It be what it be.

What I would suggest is to check traffic maps during various parts of the day to see what I'm talking about.

3. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

commute times...hmmm be on the west side of the pass by 6 630 and leave by 2 230 and should be very little traffic, for CA. Or wait until 10-11 am to come in and leave after 7pm to go back east.

I think there is train out to Dublin adn maybe livermore now, so that can help with commute.

Also you could buy a small plane and base it at KOAK, and commute by plane from over the hills as there are airports in Pleasanton and Livermore.

4. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

He's a rocket scientist not a pilot. :D

5. ChemGuy

Thats something ~$12,000 and a coupe months can fix....:D

6. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

The prices out there are unbelievable. Drove around Monterey this past summer and house prices/rent floored me.

7. Too much credit. I do some science stuff like measuring hydrocarbons, fractionation, NVR (non volatile residue) testing, developing orbital welding schedules, redesigning some propulsion tubing, developing processes on how to build a product(currently rockets, previously space capsules), I’ve done R&D for environmental control and life support systems and currently I’m focusing on real R&D work which the new job will focus on but I’m just a low brow schmuck honestly. I can stick some tubes together, pass some xrays on said tubes and build some space shit. :rock:

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You seriously need to consider just buying an RV and having them put full hookups at the job site into your contracts :D

9. I’ve honestly considered doing that but my wife wants to settle down for good somewhere mainly because of the kids. We agreed if this place is good(job, area we love just $$$) we are committing to 3 years to see where we are in life.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Your wife has a totally different view of for good than mine ever would :D

11. :crackup: I wrote it and was waiting for the comment.

12. ChemGuy

Settle down for good....for 3 years.....lol....squirrel......what was I saying???

You might as well just start over the hill...you'll be working at Livermore someday waaaayyyy in the future anyway. Like 4 years. :D

13. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

You just missed my place with the southern tip of the red circle (I'm just s/w of 237/880 interchange). Fortunately for me, my commute is only about 4 miles (from one side of 880 to the other side). Unfortunately, my rent is $2.5k/mo for a one bedroom apartment. It is a pretty nice neighborhood though. :rolleyes:

14. What I meant was we are going to stay in one place for 3 years and see if it’s a place we are going to permanently settle. She wants to settle down mainly for the kids sake (which I agree with, stability for them is important) and we will give NorCal a good chance.

All this depending if the offer is proper and they make one.

15. HoyaXC07

HoyaXC07 Well-Known Member

Is that an affordable way to live in area? Or does campground parking get ridiculous too?

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Depends on the "campground" (some of them are really mobile home parks) but not sure on those costs which is why I said put it on the employer to handle :D

17. code3ryder

Van life is pretty popular here some of it forced :(

18. code3ryder

We almost moved to Milpitas but it would have added 30 minutes to our commute.

19. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

Where I work and live are both San Jose addresses, but just barely. I can throw rocks and hit Milpitas. :D

20. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I was just laughing thinking about what a super tolerant people person you are and how you like being crowded.:D