1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No 125 in nationals anymore???

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by LAR, Nov 20, 2003.

1. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

Wanna buy a R6? Gently ridden, only on weekends...VERY forgiving, (it's only tried to kill me on a couple of occasions).The best part is the classes you get to race it in,(the guys and girls in those classes have only tried to kill me on a couple of occasions).

Sound like fun? E-mail me at iwishihadatz.com

tom

P.S. thanks for typing all of that out, I still think you're a good guy.I don't care what LAR says about you...

2. LAR

LAR Well-Known Member

LOL! :)

3. Bill Cole

Bill Cole Well-Known Member

Hey Tom... Sorry man started with one of those murder machines... Appriciate you thinking of me!!

Tom I think you are swell also.. You must be.. After all out battles and we didnt actually fight once after all that bar banging.. Your tops !!

But I will come back and kick your ass on a 125... (getting desparate to get you on an RS) :mad:

4. LAR

LAR Well-Known Member

Bill, Thank you for taking the time to post that. It certainly is a bit of history that I did not know. It sounds like things really got screwed up...but it still is stinky that those of us here now have to reap the faults of those in the past. But I guess that is how everything in life is, huh?

I think it's time that we all sit back and relax. If we all want to have WERA run 125s in nationals, I guess we should all come together and make a bigger showing at the regionals, proving to Mongo that the interest (and support) is there. If we're not willing to do that, then Mongo can rest assured that he made the right decision.

I am glad that WERA had the 125s for so long, otherwise Roach never would have gotten me into riding one, and I'm definitely excited about that.

5. Bill Cole

Lar, Your welcome however I think you should think this through.. Wera has made their decision.. No National.. Go to the regionals and have some fun..Do what you want and have fun with who you feel comfortable with. You must look at the big picture here. Do you want 125 racing to survive? Race in the USGPRU. Pulling riders from the USGPRU series only hurts the big picture of 125 racing in the USA... Participation the last 2 years has been really good. It needs to get better. If EVERYONE would commit to the series it would be really strong.. Get grids up to 25+ and things will start to happen..

Sorry Sean dont want to Spam USGPRU on your board..

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No worries - I want to see 125s survive too. I wish it could be with us but I've finally given up that hope - but that won't stop me from doing what I can to help.

I still think it's the best beginner bike.

7. MNR

MNR Member

I'd like to thanks Sean and Evelyn for all the support the have given 125 racing over the years. I know it's been a personal crusade of Seans. I been racing with WERA for a long time and that L has been next to my name for a while now. MNR ran WERA NC 125gp solid from 1995 to 1999 until I almost lost my arm in a freak 250gp accident. 8 surguries in 4 years and I'm starting to feel like myself, only heavier ;-).

During the ensuing time, I tried to make at least 1 WERA NC round a year with the intent of ramping back up to full competition when healthy. I've also tried hard to help build up 125 racing in the midwest via Can-Am/USGPRU as there are a large number 125s riders up here that simply won't travel to all but a few WERA NC rounds, if any. More is better. I continue to work with the USGPRU on the technical side.

I can validate Bill's previous comments concerning Jonathan Flack and the formation of the USGPRU. We spent many phone calls discussing 125 racing in the US The initial focus was mind numbingly advanced and ignored the economics of 125 racing in the US. I also tried to convince JF to work with WERA as WERA simply had the best eastern US program. The large combined GPRA grids of 98 and 99 showed this. Alas, I had little influence, and those early decisions affect everything now.

At our (WERA NC 125gp) height from 1996 through 1999, we never had more than 7 riders compete the whole season. Grids ranged from 7 to more than 40 with the GPRA, but I'd guess the average was 10 - 14.

Economy is driving all but a few participants in 125 racing in north america. Most can not afford either the time or money to run a full on 10 race national seaon, as well as the odd regional or track day that is necessary to get things tuned up. When you can buy a competitive 125 bike for $5k, another $7K or more to operate seems like a huge investment. Constrast that to a competitive 600 program. The bike itself is 8K, then shock, wheels, suspension work, spares, etc... Operational costs start to seem reasonable. Time off work is also a big problem when you are competing the entire series. From northern Ohio, a minimum of 1.5 days off for any race of 12 hours or less drive is needed. Go over 12 hours and it goes to 3 days.

Though I suppose the issue is settled, I will offer an alternative; organize the 125gp NC series differently and perhaps avoid the dilution and make more riders feel more involved.

- First, consider the business side of the class. WERA should make money. Since a minimum number of riders are required to make a profit, define that number and _require_ than many paid, non-refundable "if the event is run" preentries 10 days prior to the event. Given our communications technology, it seems reasonable to make the go or no go posting online. Put the onus on the rider.

- Second, cut the number of point scoring rounds down to say 5. That is your best 5 out of 10 (or however many are run) rounds count toward the championship and GNF attendance is required. Not only will this cut operating costs, but it will likely produce more suspense later in the season.

- Third, provide a purse only if it's possible following the profit issue. Different venues have different expenses.

125 racing is a different beast. It will always suffer from the difference between the club rider looking for an affordable ride, the young gun transitioning to a career, the older rider having fun, and the serious GP technophile. Best thing we can all do is convince our fellow 125 riders to come race whereever that might be....

Paul Hoyt Nelson (L)

8. LAR

LAR Well-Known Member

That's what I said, silly...that maybe we should show our support at regionals and eventually, maybe in the future, the 125s might make their way back to the nationals, and that I agree with Mongo on his decision. I don't have a problem with regionals because I'm still slow, so I'm sure you'll see me there! :)

9. Bill Cole

Lar still missing the point. Pulling riders to the Wera regional series when they can only do a few races a year hurts the big picture National Level series in the USA. USGPRU. ALL should concentrate on the USGPRU to build it as much as possible. If a guy (or girl) can only do 5 races a year where should they go? Wera Regionals or to the USGPRU 5 national rounds? With Wera's canceling of the National series it should be the hey I have the $$ and it is going to be nice this weekend.. Lets go to summit. Or for people running other classes in Wera and happen to have a 125. Personally I get NO thrill from winning a race against 5 people. It gives me no thrill at all really. Unless one is Brian K...

Trying to build the regionals back up in the hopes that Wera will bring it back will only bring us back to 1998..

10. LAR

LAR Well-Known Member

agreed. see my PM. :)

11. EMathy

EMathy Dreaming of a *****...

Don't hate me, but I have to ask this:

Big picture national level (nice Caps Usage on your post :rolleyes: ) series? For 125s? In the US? Isn't that an oxymoron?

It's not as if whoever wins the USGPRU is going to get one iota of attention from anyone that matters in the motorcycle industry. Not in the US, not in Europe, not in Japan. That's the truth, and if it hurts then you need a reality check.

Sorry to be so harsh, but there you have it. And yes, this is coming from a guy who races a GS500. But then, I know I race a motorcycle nobody cares about. Once you realize these things, racing becomes so much more entertaining. :beer:

12. Bill Cole

The last thing I need is a reality check. After 13 years of racing I think I have some idea what is going on. First I think you should research the USGPRU and the Can Am series. I dont recall anywhere saying anything about any exposure or Europe... What is your deal? They dont care about US 125 racing... What we are talking about is a really solid series against the best 125 riders in the US and Canada for that matter. If you dont think these groups have tallent you are not looking to closely.

No one is trying to make anything anymore than it can be.. And that is getting the best we have together and getting it done. 125 racing in the USA is and always be an accomidation... We have to be happy with that and take anything we can get...

13. LAR

LAR Well-Known Member

Hey You! What the heck are you doing over here? :tut:

Go Away! :D

All kidding aside, Bill is right. The USGPRU is probably the best chance the 125s have in the U.S. now. I have to say, it was pretty cool at summit to see 17 125s on the grid...tres cool!

14. Roach

Roach Yamaha Catapult Tester

The next time there's a national event for GS500's with transpondered qualifying, a 12 lap race, nice trophies, and a purse ... you let us know, k?

Just because you ride a bike that has never ever been considered a racebike, doesn't mean we can't try and support making racing 125 Grand Prix machines in the US a fun and cool thing to do.

- Roach

15. Racer48

Racer48 Man Whore- He Bitch!

Look PAL! Even my YSR got National exposure winning the last Summit Point National! (Mongo, remember that deal we were talking about! :up: )

I dont know no Gump500 tho!

I think my YSR and I could make it to Suzuka, just need to make a 4 tooth sproket for it! Then I need body guards to hold off the umbrella babes!

SUPERSTAR!

16. Bill Cole

while ( i < 1 ) { goFaster(); }

Roach, Its killing me... Please decode..

17. Bill Cole

414, One other point here. Last year Chris Peris (Can Am Series) was offered a wildcard ride for the World GP. Forget what round. He went..... Qualified..... on a bike they put together for him the day before... on a track he had never been to..... with only 4 40 minute sessions..... He did GREAT! and was offered this because he was recognized as one of the top.. if not THE top Canadian rider along with some networking.

To see one of our boys on TV in europe after I had just ridden against him (and even with him for a few laps) at VIR was fantastic.

18. EMathy

EMathy Dreaming of a *****...

Hey Darlin'! :D

But, but, but... waaaaahhh! :(

True. But that's a situation of your own making. If enough 125 riders would have kept the faith with WERA, WERA would still be doing all it could for them.

It's just damn sad, IMHO, that Sean & Ev get the shaft (or should I say keep getting the shaft) after supporting the 125's for so long with really no return or reward. So the talking big about "National Series" (caps his) at the detriment on WERA, on WERA's BBS, after WERA did so much...just didn't sit well when I read it. Pompous might be the word I'm looking for here.

Speaking for myself, I love seeing your little buzzbombs on the track.

In a way it'd be better if the world hadn't moved on leaving the 2-strokes behind. They're just cool. It cracks me up that I could replace my GS motor with a good 125 and make more HP. :D

Happy Turkey Day to ya! :beer:

19. LAR

LAR Well-Known Member

Hey You! Glad to see you back hanging around!Now that I understand how thing got started, I'm agreeing with that statement to a degree. But don't worry, the little buzzers will stay strong, and life will go on. :)

Get off that GS and get a 125! (just kidding, you know how much I liked my GS)

Happy Turkey Day to you too! :beer:

20. Roach

Roach Yamaha Catapult Tester

Geek humor. Mild at that.

While "I" am less than 1st, execute the "goFaster" function.

People keep asking to see the goFaster function ... I tell them it's still got a couple bugs and occasionally causes crashes ;)

- Roach