1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No 125 in nationals anymore???

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by LAR, Nov 20, 2003.

1. now that i vented, how definite are these "rumors", will someone please get some wera folk to respond to this thread, i would like to know how to plan for next season, i was just all excited as i looked at the national schedule, i planned on jennings, summit, birmingham, talladega, vir as definites with a possibility toward other mid country events
    let me shout it out again
    WERA you are messing with a good thing
    however out of respect to riders who like myself have supported you for years please respond to these allegations
    Thanks
    John R Klaras

2. LAR

LAR Well-Known Member

I definitely hope that your plea works, but Mongo stated on the 400 list that this was the case. He hasn't responded yet, but I'm sure he will. I'm kind of curious as to why this class was done away with. Although, I think I know that it's just because there aren't that many of us out there...just a guess, though.

I don't think Mongo is purposely avoiding this thread...just not sure he visits the two-stroke section. Hopefully he'll respond, but if he doesn't, you may want to post in the General section. I'll let you be the bad guy. :D

3. merle4

merle4 Menace to sobriety

Well, doesn't that just suck. LAR, would you mind posting a link to the thread you mentioned? And, Roach, what the hell is "The 400 List"? I'm very dissappointed, to say the least. Looks like just regionals for me then. Can't see travel and expenses to just race in F2. Fudge.
    Merle "Pissed off and bitter in Pgh" Eschman

4. LAR

LAR Well-Known Member

I misunderstood my source at first...it wasn't actually on a thread, it was on the 400 list. The demise of the 125 class was mentioned on the 400 list...which is an email list for 400 riders, just like the 125 list or the aprilia list...that is where Mongo posted the 125s are no longer in the nationals. If you were mentioning a different thread, refresh my memory :)

Hey, there's definitely the regionals, and there's always the USGPRU. The rumored schedule, if it comes true, sounds really good. :)

Laura

5. FZR 473

FZR 473 Well-Known Member

Here is Sean's reply to me. We were discussing the FZR 400 in the LW classes. I mentioned that my FZR is my fun bike and my 125 is my real race bike.

"Then you're really going to either hate or like me on this one -
    Congratulations on being the last WERA 125cc National Challenge Series
    Champion...."

Sean P. Clarke
    WERA Motorcycle Roadracing
    www.wera.com

Not sure how I can really like Sean when he does away with the class I have been running for the last 3 year but I do not hate him.

I have been a big supporter of WERA over the years and I have done most of the Nationals the last 2-3 years. I guess there was not enough other folks doing the same. Roach is right though, if you go by numbers only at the Nationals, Sean should do away with all of the Novice National races and possibly HW Twins. I think it is mistake to do away with the 125s epecially with the number of folks that got one at the end of the year. I think Barber and the GNF are a good indicator. He could combine us with another class. I think the new LW Twins SS or SB would be a good home for us. I think if I could get off the line ok, I could provide a good show racing with Bradley, Martin, etc. My lap times are always right there with theirs. Or put us behind the HW Twins. I would not want to combine it with Formula II because some of us would like to race two races if we are going spend the money going to a National. And that means another entry fee for WERA.

I bet the USGPRU races at the CCS and Formula USA rounds will be pretty good. They still offer a purse, have qualifying, and races that are 12-15 laps long. Hope to see everyone over there.

Brian Kcraget

6. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

Sean and Evelyne are traveling right now, that's why there is a delay.

I agree with combining it with F2.

7. LAR

LAR Well-Known Member

I totally agree with you Brian. Why did he get rid of it altogether instead of trying to find a place to combine us? WERA definitely made a mistake by doing that. They are basically saying F-You to those who choose to ride 125s, and especially those of us who only have that bike.

I love WERA, and they have given us no choice in terms of being able to race with them in the nationals. I'm sure we'll get the standard "then go race somewhere else" answer...which is even more irritating.

So many people purchased 125s at the end of last year and I thought this year was going to be good...guess we'll all have to play on someone else's playground. :mad:

8. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

Were you planning on making all the nationals? I'm just curious.

9. Cliff0529

Cliff0529 Well-Known Member

Why does it matter? Even some of the bigger teams are saying that they will not be at all of them?

I know Colin had planned on at least 5 of them, maybe as many as 7 depending on how school and cash flows were going.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2003
  10. LAR

LAR Well-Known Member

Nope. But that doesn't matter. We were planning on:

5/20-23 2004 Cycle Jam, Virginia International, Alton, VA
    7/30-8/1 Summit Point Raceway, Summit Point, WV
    9/10-12 Nelson Ledges Road Course, Garrettsville, OH
    9/24-26 Barber Motorsports Park, Leeds, AL
    10/20-24 Grand National Finals & Suzuki Cup Finals

Which is half of the nationals, and that is enough to justify being upset...especially since there are two of us entering...which in essence is the same as one person doing all ten rounds. :)

11. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

I was just curious what people were planning on running the whole national series.

Cliff, i'm sure those teams will only miss one round.

12. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

And yes, I think this sucks. I like the 125 class. If I were to race that's what I would get. But i'd do it at the regionals so it wouldn't effect me immediately. :(

13. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

Maybe we can get a list of who all is running for this year and compare it to last year and see how much it grew. That may be a case for them to keep it.

14. LAR

LAR Well-Known Member

I think that's a good idea, but not sure it would help. Here are the ones I know of off hand that are riding next year on 125s(from another thread I started and this one):

Roach
    LAR
    Kcraget
    Dave S.
    Rebecca H.
    John K.
    Kamisama12 (Colin)
    Merle
    ecumike (not sure if he's doing WERA, though)
    Owen
    Ryan Clay?
    Ryan Andrews?
    Racer414
    Mary
    Dave Deggendorf
    Hjelm?

anyone have any others to add???

15. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

Looks like i'm gonna have to print results from last year to see who in your list raced last year and who didn't. :D

This could be a good way to make my day go by faster.

16. LAR

LAR Well-Known Member

You could definitely do that, but a lot of us purchased our bikes at the end of this season (Roach, me, ecumike, etc.). :D Would only be semi-accurate. But you'll probably find others that raced that I don't have listed. If so, feel free to add to my list. ;)

17. gpwannabe

gpwannabe Well-Known Member

2 years ago, my last racing, we had to beg Mongo to keep the 125s at all after several posters bashed WERA in favor of USGPRU which I don't see on the web anymore. Ashame to see it go, I got into 125s my last 2 years racing and am now unable/unwilling to race due to child/travel/saftey situations. I think we had poeple lobby mongo and commit to the nationals to give Mongo a boost of confidence.

18. LAR

LAR Well-Known Member

USGPRU is still around...actually, they've even added a 250 class. That's what I don't get...many of us WANT to race with WERA, and don't bash WERA vs. USGPRU...I think the point here is that if WERA had a 125 class that was like the USGPRU with purses, etc., more people would probably run WERA.

Take me for example, i'm a mid-back pack rider...in f2, I'd be KILLED, CREAMED, OBLITERATED...but in a 125-only class, I have more of a chance to ride mid-pack and really feel good about my racing. Right now, my only option for that is WERA regionals or USGPRU. The difference is USGPRU has timed qualifying and actually pays out purses to the winners, etc. (i'm not entirely sure if WERA does because I've never had to worry about it ;))

For me, regionals are good, because I have a lot to learn on the track and it's a good place to do it...for those faster 125 riders, what fun are regionals when you could have been running the national series?

I'm not bashing anyone, or saying either organization is better than the other...we are free to choose who we want to race, and bashing organizations won't get us anywhere. I'm just upset that WERA ditched the class when there didn't seem to be a reason to.

19. gpwannabe

gpwannabe Well-Known Member

I ran 600s before, never finished higher than 7th in a 750 prod race in the rain @ Summit. 125 quickly put me at the back of the pack. As I worked my way up, it was clear that faster riders on better machines would leave you in the dust. The class doesn't seem to be so equal when rider skill is factored in. Be that as it may, I found a 125 to be fun in f2 solo20lights and even HW twins, nothing like passing an expert on a duc996! Looking @ grid sizes though, I don't blame Mongo but I can't fugure out why the 125 community shuns WERA in favor of CCS and USGPRU?

20. LAR

LAR Well-Known Member

I don't think that's the case at all, or we all wouldn't be so upset! I personally love WERA and would rather run their organization, and that's what is so irritating about this.

WERA nationals, in my view, is the same as a formula usa-USGPRU weekend. They both are a "big deal," and not just your typical regional event. The difference with USGPRU is that it promotes two-stroke racing and is working to gain more exposure for the bikes that we all love that are losing grip in the U.S.

I think that if WERA kept the class, they are doing an excellent job in "competing" with other organizations in terms of 125 riding. Instead, it seems like we're being politely asked to go somewhere else. It's their decision, I just think it's a stinky poo poo one. ;)