1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new racer (hopefully)

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by OG Z, Sep 1, 2011.

1. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Hypothetically, if I can run a comfortable/easy 1:40 @ Willow, 1:35 @ Street's, what should I expect to run at Auto Club Speedway?
    This thread's got me thinking I should run Fontana, never raced yet.
    Coming in last would seriously screw up my confidence, just being honest.

2. SpaCovers

SpaCovers Active Member

Still waiting for a final answer but on a side note: we did have a guy last year who was "the fastest guy in the canyon" and won every MotoGP race he entered on his gaming console and we didn't let him even get on the track in Level1 without taking the RDS let alone race. I'm not racing this weekend but I have many friends and customers who will be.

3. SpaCovers

SpaCovers Active Member

In the back but not last with those times. I checked times from the last time we ran there and there are a couple novice racers with slightly faster times who run mid pack at ACS. I would do it if I was you.

4. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I'm glad I started with trackdays too, but I also wish I'd gone racing sooner.

There's a level of complacency that I fell into with trackdays, and racing got me out of that funk. I turned 2 personal best laps in my first race ever, and it's taught me to be more confident that I can get around people in places I would have backed off and waited at a TD.

If nothing else, racing opens up my riding schedule A LOT. I can ride close(r) to home 4 more times a year, and I have almost double the opportunities to get seat time by adding races to my trackday calendar.

5. OG Z

OG Z Active Member

I feel this will happen to me as well.

Don't get me wrong dudes. I might be the "fastest one in the canyon" but I am always the first to admit that it doesn't mean shit. Racing even in a local club is a whole new level that I am not expecting to be on any time soon. But how else can I get up there?

Also, yes the way I worded my feelings about competition I did contradict myself. What I mean is that I want to win, I want to be the best out there, but my first time? I ain't worried about that. I don't expect to win, only to finish the race, andi guess I'm the weird kind of person that won't lose confidence if I get beat at something I've never done.like I said I want to start out by having fun and I will worry about winning later.

Plus I only play Tourist Trophy on ps2. None of this motogp crap lol

6. SpaCovers

SpaCovers Active Member

I am sure that is how it will happen for you as that is the normal transition people go through with the sport.
    It looks like we have a difference of opinions with the owner of WERA, FT, race director, New Racer School instructor, Jball, and me (janitor at ACS). Things might be different at different parts of the country but at ACS, WSMC, and CVMA what you are asking for is not how it's done. This is the sovereign nation of California.
    You do really need to start with track days. It is not about winning when you first get on the track.
    OG, I hope to see you at the track this weekend. Hit me up. My toybox will be parked closest to pregrid, restrooms, between garage 2&3. Dave S.

7. OG Z

OG Z Active Member

I understand where you are coming from, but the reality is that if I do a trackday before I race..... it will be exactly that- ONE track day. Not because I wanted to, but because it was required to race. So really, what would be the difference between that and the racing school? Besides the amount of money I have to fork over?

Hey Dave, how much is it to go this weekend? and are there any spots open in the slow or mid level group?

8. drop

drop Well-Known Member

og, when i signed up for wera, there were a couple guys in my class that had NEVER been on the track.. they did the riders school, the practice, and the mock race, and now race every chance they get.. i had did track days, before i decided to move to racing.. racing is alot different pace than trackdays.. i run decent, but i dont try to kill myself everylap as i do all of this out of my pocket with zero sponsors. I ride the pace i can to not trash my shit every corner..

fact is, i dont know where it is, that someone can think they can tell someone else that they will fail and they need to do trackday first...

go with wera, do what you have to do and enjoy.. and if wera sees a problem with it, they will handle it..

(you ever tried qualifing for the deals gap isle of man tt?)

9. OG Z

OG Z Active Member

hey thanks man. i will. i dont know if they will let me yet but if they give me a chance im in all the way.

10. jimraynor21

jimraynor21 Well-Known Member

OGZ! Glad to see your doin it brother! Feel free to pm me at the archives or email me(its my username @yahoo.com) if you need any kind of help with what to safety wire etc.

11. OG Z

OG Z Active Member

Hey thanks Jim!!! I'm doing my best man. Hopefully I will get out there on the 11th. And thanks, I will hit you up about wiring.

12. proarmwrestler

proarmwrestler Well-Known Member

I hope you take the time to post an update on your days!

A) Did you take the riders school because you wanted to or had to?

B) Did you take the trackday because you wanted to or had to?

C) How many races did you compete in?

D) How did you finish? Times?

E) What did you learn?

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm very curious.

P.S. I'm willing to bet you never unload the bike! IMO.....No offense intended.
    But if you do race, good luck! :up:

13. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

I won't be making it, 10/11th I'll be @ Willow.

14. OG Z

OG Z Active Member

haha alright "proarmwrestler". thanks for stopping by.

edit: hey i forgot to mention i have a stock wheel and brake setup and if that will put me in a class that will decrease the chances of me being run over.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  15. OG Z

OG Z Active Member

so should i sign up for this class on saturday? i dont want to get all the way up there and be told to fuck off. that would make me sad. if i sign up and pay do they have to let me at least try???

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Hold on til tomorrow, I still don't have a 100% answer for you.

17. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

All the bullshit that gets talked about this board and mongo... This thread proves the haters wrong. Sure, every racer is a dollar sign, but the boss is going out of his way and time to get a new guy on the grid. That says a lot. The "new guy" surely doesn't feel like a buck, or at least I wouldn't.

My .02

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I appreciate that but the boss was with her grandkid all day today and yesterday which is why I don't have an answer yet :D

19. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

Shhh I'm busy talking you up. :D

Seriously, next season I can afford some wera west races I will put my money where my mouth is based on these types of acts.

20. OG Z

OG Z Active Member

Thanks I really appreciate it.

Hey i had a thought. even if i cant race can i still take the riders school?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011