1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new racer (hopefully)

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by OG Z, Sep 1, 2011.

1. OG Z

OG Z Active Member

Hey dudes! I am hoping to get started in WERA west at Fontana on the 11th. I am looking for a little advice.

First, I have an 89 FZR400 that has been bored out to a 450. I am running a fox shock in the rear, racetech in the front, and i have marchesini wheels and a non-radial brembo M/C and front brakes. I also have an oil catch lower. That being said, I have never been on the track before and I am slow compared to anyone except street riders.

What class can I run? I dont care about the competition or winning/losing
    , I just want to get out on the track and have real fun with some good people.

What should I bring to the race?

How much am I looking to spend for a race weekend?

What do I need to safety wire?

Do I need a racing upper fairing? or can I tape my headlights?

How do I get my novice license?

Thats it for now. Im sure I will need more help in time so thanks in advance.

Hope to see you out there - Joe

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

D Superbike and Formula 2.

You can tape the headlights.

You need to take a racing school which will be offered on Saturday during the Fastrack day.

Rea the rulebook - ww.wera.com for the wiring then ask again once you're thoroughly confused :)

What to bring - bike key. Seriously though, there are a lot of good lists in this forum, read through the thread titles and you'll find them.

3. OG Z

OG Z Active Member

Awesome! Thanks Mongo

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

FWIW the fees are linked on the main page too. Can't do math right now so that'll have to wait til tomorrow too...

5. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Damn dude, jumpin right in...good luck man.

6. OG Z

OG Z Active Member

fastrack told me i shouldnt take the racer school until i go to a track day. :(.

the guy basically told me i would fail for sure. i dont really like to take the advice from people who are selling me stuff. what do you guys think?

7. SpaCovers

SpaCovers Active Member

Yes, that is what I said. I just emailed your comment to Matthias, who runs the New Racer School and Dave Pyles who owns Fastrack. If they authorize letting you on the track while never have done a track day before, I will let everyone know.

8. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

:wow:

9. OG Z

OG Z Active Member

thanks man. hopefully they will at least let me try. if not, oh well. i will just have to do a track day first. i just really want to start racing asap while i know i have some money for it. and before i get too old.

however, if you guys feel like im going to be a danger to everyone on the track id rather not start a big fuss. or kill someone. let me know what i should do. i just want to have fun you know?

10. L8RSK8R

If you're hungry to get on track, Ti2TT is gonna be at Willow Springs this weekend and Trackxperience will be there the following weekend. Both org's doing 2 day's back to back.
    You gotta have some track experience to go racing.
    I've no clue when Fontana's next available TD will be.
    Good luck.

11. OG Z

OG Z Active Member

Gotta start somewhere right?

So willow will be open the next two weekends? Sounds tempting. But to be real, I was hoping to avoid track days all together because A) you can't win a track day and B) I don't want to get used to any bad habits I have before riding with a coach.

I have been riding for almost 4 years. I really think I could do well on the track and I want to see how well I stack up against fast people. Riding canyons and shit is cool, but its stupid dangerous and I don't have any friends that can stay with even my relaxed pace. Not that its blazing fast or anything.

Like I said, I just want to have fun. Life totally blows other than riding lol.

12. crazywolf450r

crazywolf450r Well-Known Member

Lol

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I disagree on this one. You can take the the school with Matthias during the track day and you'll be fine. Email me and I'll get the details for you - [email protected].

14. XACT-Man

XACT-Man Not that fast....

I think you are contradicting yourself here.....personally seek out a good track day company in your area with good instructors/cr's that can coach you, you need some seat time on the track before racing, not a necessity, but probably the smart thing to do. You'll also need to make sure your bike is set up to handle so you feel comfortable. ;)

15. L8RSK8R

TD's are fun, racing is serious business. I prefer to have fun for now, serious stuff starts next season.

16. XACT-Man

XACT-Man Not that fast....

They are both fun and serious, lets face it, riding a motorcycle fast on a race track is no couch sitting xbox game...you will meet friends at the track, both track days and racing that will be life long and share your passion.

No matter what choice you make, be smart and responsible on the track!

17. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

Where is this in the rulebook and who are you to be telling something like this to someone looking to get on track??!!??

To pass the Wera school you need to be relatively smooth, hold your line, and not crash during the school or mock race.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep. You don't need track time to go racing. It may help some people it may hurt some people. Either way, get on track in the manner that makes you happy and have fun.

19. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Racing isn't THAT serious. I actually like that there's more down-time to just hang out and laugh with the people I'm pitted with during race weekends.

My dad was in the paddock (as a spectator) and brought it to our attention that we all get "really quiet" after 2nd call, but taking the race a little seriously is a good thing. Serious and fun aren't mutually exclusive.

The major difference is that i'm out on track with a much more focused purpose. I don't think I push all that much harder during a race; but I am much more inclined to do 10 fast laps in a row, rather than doing a couple flyers, and then relaxing for a lap or two like I would at a trackday.

Frankly, I think trackdays start to encourage me to 'waste' time on the track, because there's no competitive reason to stay out the full 20 minutes, and no tangible reward for catching and passing people.

Good luck to the new guy. I remember showing up to my first trackday thinking it would be easy. 3 years later, I'm almost as good as I thought I would be on day one :D

20. chuckbear

chuckbear Totally radical, bro.

I think Mongo might have meant [email protected]. :D

I'm with Pete. No way I'd have been worth a damn if I'd gone racing last year in place of my first trackday and knowing what I know now after some seat time I don't think I'd trust a new, unlicensed rider with no track time to grid up next to me and (edit: not) take me out.

Disclaimer: I'm getting into my first race in the next month and have never raced, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night and I've done a bunch of track weekends this year and have benefited by leaps and bounds from some good coaching and as much seat time as I could afford. :up:

I'm not saying don't do it, but I'm glad I started with trackdays. Having prior knowledge of the track, having experience prepping and teching my bike at the track, having wrangled tires and wheels early in the morning, and just generally knowing how things happen at the track all help lower the intimidation factor looking to my first race.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011