1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Neighbor burning trash - how to handle it?

Discussion in 'General' started by Phl218, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Phl218

Phl218 .

Here's the situation, we moved in here last year and have been exposed to burnt trash smoke and fumes several times per month. The neighbor has been living here ever since and obviously has no trashcan to put out every week.
    Tonight we came home again to a foggy backyard and a brutal smell of burnt plastic .

We have made several attempts to address the situation in a peaceful manner, offering to leave his trash in front of our garage, that we can put it out with ours.

the wife has been over by her self when it was really bad one time and I was not here, resulting in him not even looking at her and his wife completely agreeing to this being unacceptable.

They are "good christians " claiming to watch our property when we are gone and pretending to be the nicest people on earth, giving us presents for our son and gift cards for every other useless holiday. But in the end not giving shit about our health, our dogs health and the environment.

Thing is, in our county it is illegal to:
    1. Burn trash at all
    2. Burn something in a barrel
    3. Burn something not in a firepit without calling the fire department (which I don't know, but have to assume he does not because of 1&2)

What the heck shall I do?

plustiano likes this.
  2. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Ask him why he burns it instead of putting out a can?

3. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

Tell him in plain English why you object, point out that it's illegal, and tell him that the next time it happens you're going to have to turn him in to the authorities since talking to him hasn't worked.

4. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

Call the cops. My neighbor that everyone thought was such a nice guy was the nut that just killed his mom and brothers with a crossbow on Thursday. I've had cops on my hall waiting for a search warrant to go in his place since then. Literally there is a cop sitting on a plastic lawn chair 10 feet from my door. You never know about people and it's always the nicest guy that kept to himself that's the ax murderer.

5. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

No shit. Was that in Toronto? I randomly read a story about it the other day.

6. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

Call the fire marshal.

7. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Phil,
    In a calm, nice voice explain to him you will not accept your air being polluted with his toxic fumes. If the winds are blowing it away from your house than no problem. If not, cops get called in short order.

Phl218 likes this.
  8. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Print out the ordinances.

Hand them to him.

Tell him that's the last warning he's getting before you escalate this.

Then shit in his fort.

fastfreddie, Phl218 and Steady T like this.
  9. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

Yes. Guy that did it lives on my floor in my condo. His door is 15 feet from mine. He killed the people in scarborough but because his fiancé was no where to be found they evacuated my condo, interviewed my wife and I and have been here since.

10. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

Nope, to ambiguous. First time you go over to him because the smoke is headed in your direction he's gonna tell you the wind direction was headed away from your house when he started and the wind shifted.

11. joec

joec brace yourself

Fire marshall.....even if you just call the fire department, maybe they'll saw a hole in his roof before putting it out with a firehouse.

They will notify the firemarshall or send a cop or sheriff.

He dosnt need to know it was you

Alternately, start burning your take offs.

12. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Buy him a trash can, or five.

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

You could mind your own business.

Chris and jrsamples like this.
  14. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Call local epa? You know tree huggers and the like dont play. EPA will come there in full on swat mode.

15. joec

joec brace yourself

Ps....take him all of your trash first, so he can get the fire really big.

16. nhammond54

nhammond54 Hammond Brothers Racing

You got to hate rednecks!! People that do this make no sense to me. I live on a lake that the houses are not cheap even for an older home. And my freaking redneck drunk ass neighbor wants to burn Advantech (which is a press board with fiberglass reinforced resins) and it smokes up the whole house! ! Police say there is nothing they can do!! Idiots!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  17. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

WWJUD

What Would John Ulrich Do

Just call the cops and let them handle it. That's their job, and it avoids you getting caught up in any drama that could result from a confrontation.

BigBird likes this.
  18. nhammond54

nhammond54 Hammond Brothers Racing

I'm in Spartanburg county. Are you in Greenville county?

Shenanigans likes this.
  19. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Shoot him in the face. Burn the body. Tell the cops how nice he always was.

Boman Forklift, Chris, Britt and 2 others like this.
  20. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

Go out into your yard 10ft upwind of him, on the property line, and burn shit. Dog shit, sheep shit, your family's shit, whatever smells the worst. Wear a respirator though, you don't want to smell that.