1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NASCAR and confederate flags

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Quicktoy, Jun 11, 2020.

1. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Who the fuck appointed you arbiter of what is necessary and appropriate?

2. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

And technically it should only be referred to as the "Union Jack" when it's flown from the jack mast at sea. It's official title is the "Union Flag" as it represented the union of England and Scotland in the early 1600's, the Cross of St. Patrick was added a couple of hundred years later.

britx303 and Steeltoe like this.
  3. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I did. He did just fine:p

JBall likes this.
  4. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

No one. Like others in this thread I am just stating my opinion.
    Appropriate will always be a matter of opinion. I would think reasonable people could come to terms on what would be necessary in order to not forget one of the most horrible chapters in US history.

JBall likes this.
  5. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

But if you ban the flag and take down statues people will forget! Like Hitler. :confused:

The free speech argument at least has legs. The history argument does not.

Someone needs to tell these uppity negroes to deal with it and know their place. :rtfrb:

6. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

In the end, it`s aloss of freedom also.

Lot`s of things I don`t like, but that`s the price of freedom.

7. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Free speech is a snowflake crutch.

NASCAR's takin' m'ah rights away! They can't do that!!!!

They sure as hell can. They ain't the gubberment.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  8. joec

joec brace yourself

It does amuse me that people complain about thier rights being violated, not being able to display a symbol of a movement who's platform had a lot to do with violating people's basic human rights. Lol.

And as a business you can definitely deny services to people, but you can't violate thier constitutional rights in the process.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
    rd400racer likes this.
  9. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Been going longer than that, mid 60s. Every kind of track there is practically, and never heard anything like that.

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I absolutely believe it. In much of the south (and maybe nationwide) different types of racing attract people from different social/economic background. Their social views/prejudices are consistent with people of similar backgrounds.

11. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Well, as long as you don’t deny service based on what’s between their legs, or you perceive to be between their legs, or what imaginary judgmental douche they pray to, or don’t pray to, or because they wrap their head in a diaper; or a bunch of other governmental intrusion into the right of free association. :Poke:

jrsamples and joec like this.
  12. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Sure you can with speech. You cannot deny service in a discriminatory fashion as described in state and federal law (sex, race, religion, etc.) and you can deny service to anyone else for whatever reason you decide. No shoes, no shirt, no service. Big ass banned flag, no service.

13. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Can’t wait for the Outrage the first time someone wearing a BLM shirt gets denied service...

Pixelator likes this.
  14. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

A symbol of a movement whose platform is violating human rights..........are you referencing the Stars and Stripes removing Indians off their lands or the slaughtering that ensued after? Just curious

Slider82, jrsamples, joec and 2 others like this.
  15. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Won’t happen. They are the special children now. The new VIP...

Pixelator likes this.
  16. joec

joec brace yourself

Fuck that flag too.

17. britx303

Ok, so serious actual NASCAR question, I don’t watch it but.......wasn’t NASCAR started by confederate flag wavers in the south? If so, people that are offended by the site of the stars and bars at NASCAR, or just agree it needs to be removed,you make about as much sense as a vegetarian being offended by the sight of meat at a BBQ.

18. britx303

The one you live under? Good lord man, put the circle jerks album away:D

joec likes this.
  19. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I believe it was started by folks running moonshine. Yes they happened to be from the south. Were some of the racist? Most likely yes. How does that change the fact the sport needs to evolve or die? I believe there are fewer racist a-holes all the time, so NASCAR has to do something or they will soon have almost no audience.

Also, flying a big old flag would be the last thing the moonshiners would want to do. "Hey Feds! Over here, come and get me!" Bo and Luke Duke are not real life.

20. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Shit, didn't know Laurel & Hardy were KKK...

[​IMG]