1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NASCAR and confederate flags

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Quicktoy, Jun 11, 2020.

1. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

[​IMG]

noles19 likes this.
  2. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

A common job for boys 13-15 years old around here is workin’ the backa farms. We all did it, white and black together with no issue......including getting shit faced drunk on the nastiest of beer at the end of the day. And lots of the white boys were confederate flag wavers and we all got along. My opinion is banning the flag for the sake of some ignorant misrepresentation is the same as banning sportbikes because there’s enough ignorant f*cks that do dumb shit on the highways and endanger people’s lives. Like I said, plenty of broad brush painters around here.

3. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

I guess my feeling has been the flag has been the symbol of southern pride since the 70's. Skynyrd, Molly Hatchet, Bo and Luke.......et al. When I see it, I don't think the person is saying "I WANT SLAVES" or "I miss slaves" (even though they are several generations from that even being a small possibility), I am thinking they are a southern good ole boy and love being from the south. But being a northerner my entire life, maybe I am naive and not getting that it then HAS to mean immediate racism.

cav115 likes this.
  4. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

It sucks when you leave your wife, only to have her beat your ass and make you come back home. Personally, I wouldn't want to display a giant, colorful banner celebrating my ass whooping. To each his own.

noles19, Banditracer and rd400racer like this.
  5. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

:beer: I mean out of all the things on earth to defend can't imagine why someone would pick this one.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Great One, SuddenBraking and sdg like this.
  6. britx303

Here she goes:crackup:

7. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

But in all honesty, I am cool with banning all flags at concerts and races. I see F1 stands, or concert grounds with people flying flags. I don't want to pay $250 for a seat behind some idiot waving any kind of flag blocking much of my view.

8. britx303

Yep.....I’m good with that too. Same with them stupid little horns:D

9. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Are you my new worshipper? :blart:

[​IMG]

10. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I think that you could make a rational argument that the descendants of civil war veterans are simply memorializing the sacrifices of their ancestors. A significant portion of the Confederate army was made up of conscripts. Many of them were dirt poor farmers who did not benefit from the institution of slavery. In fact, it could be argued that their own labor was devalued by its existence. Unfortunately, most of the flag wavers have not put much thought or research into the matter. Regardless, it's time to look forward, not back. The descendants of Jewish concentration camp survivors should not have Nazi banners thrust in their faces. This is not much different.

PalomarGuru, mitch100, lazlo and 3 others like this.
  11. britx303

No baby cakes......I’m a Yamaha kinda guy:D

12. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

:Puke:

britx303 likes this.
  13. britx303

:crackup:

14. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Yep.

Ugly .terrible, and no influence today. Them with that flag is no more a refection of all of one group than BLM with their flag, currently accusing a different group of all being bad and the bane of their lives.

And they are currently killing and destroying.

15. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Do you even live in the South?

16. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

No. Soon, I hope.

Relatives and friends.

I know about where you live......lol

Ever lived north?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  17. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

As mentioned earlier I think the issue is if this progresses to a larger spectrum. A private company choosing to ban something from their own event they are certainly free to do. They can go as broad and as deep as they would like with it technically....they could ban all sorts of stuff, whether or not that starts to affect their bottom line is another topic.

It's not defending something that is scummy and reprehensible....it's defending one's constitutional right to expression, independent of whoever believes it to be distasteful.

But the point to all of this in a larger scope is if you continue to ban/erase/cancel/censor all of these things that were important parts of this country's past well, as the saying goes "those who cannot remember the past are doomed to repeat it".

18. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

You guys are ripping Phil off. I hope he doubles the cover charge for yooots to get back to his lair.

SuddenBraking and pickled egg like this.
  19. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

The progression of these things:

1) Demand the removal of all statues to "a more appropriate place." Such as an actual battleground.

2) Demand the removal of statues from parks, such as Chickamauga National Battleground, to appropriate museums.

3) Demand the removal of statues from museums, to . . . where?

So, "out of sight, out of mind."

And as has been stated here before, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it! (George Santayana-1905)"

20. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Monuments to the men that led the Confederacy are not required to "remember" the Civil War. They are certainly not necessary in front of prominent government buildings and at major intersections. Battlefields and memorials to the fallen soldiers at those battlefields, plaques with information and remembrances of the destruction, history books, and museums on the subject are more than sufficient to remember that ugly war.

This isn't about a slippery slope, it is about putting the proper things in the proper place.

When they start removing the memorials (not monuments to the leaders, but memorials for the fallen soldiers) from the battlefields, give me a call and I will take up the cause.

Yzasserina and The Great One like this.