1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My brain looks exactly like this!

Discussion in 'General' started by CausticYarn, Jul 21, 2020.

1. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

I still want to know if this is an Aprilia.

2. G 97

G 97 Garth

Waiting for parts I think.

3. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

Pretty sure it's a vfr.

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Complete mismatch on the male and female connector.

A. Barrister and In Your Corner like this.
  5. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

If same bike as avatar, indeed. Also would explain the fried component...

6. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

It is, indeed, a 6th gen VFR.
    She’s a good piggie and I love her.

Current status is I am waiting for parts and should be able to start the work next week some time. I am going to wire in a stock rectifier until I can afford the one that will fix the problem more-better-er. The voltmeter stuck to the instrument panel should hopefully help warn me before I have another issue with the charging system.

7. CausticYarn

I was thinking I would mount a webcam in the garage so people could watch me cry and swear while I try to tackle an electrical problem for the first time I work on my own stuff. :D

8. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

9. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

10. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Or get a Yamaha?:D

Prospect, cav115 and G 97 like this.
  11. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Roadstercycle SH847 Kit is what you want. It’s the latest in Series technology, much better than MOSFET, and makes the VFRness obsolete. I have Jack’s SH847 setup on my 5th Gen VFR and 1st Gen SV.

12. CausticYarn

I am going the SH847 route once I have it in the budget. The stock rectifier and stator should get me through for a while.

The bike is in fantastic condition. And has been well cared for - I am not super concerned, this was an eventual issue.

I was just lamenting that my first project ever was electrical in nature.

I’ve got some good help in my corner with it :)

ducnut likes this.
  13. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

The big blue connector (under the left fairing) is the other weak point of the 6th Gen. If you don’t already have it, grab a tube of Ox-Gard from Lowe’s, or someplace, and go through every connector on the bike, especially the blue one. In addition, adding an additional ground to the frame, forward of that blue connector, will help mitigate issues. Any green/white wire will be a ground on these bikes and there’s only one for the entire front harness, so an additional ground is good idea.

14. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Of course a girls mind goes to webcam.

bleacht likes this.
  15. G 97

G 97 Garth

Has this been a lifelong issue for you?

cav115 likes this.
  16. CausticYarn

Gotta pay for motorcycle parts somehow...

17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

More often than not.

18. CausticYarn

Thank you!
    I will go through the harness and see what has been done. I have all the manuals now so a bit of light reading will help me out.

If I recall correctly, the big wrapped conduit is a vfrness. But I was pretty darn excited about an agate I found while I was talking about the wiring with the previous owner, so I am not sure if that’s exactly what he said.

19. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

The PO of my bike had a meltdown of some sort, because I could see burn marks on the rear valve cover and frame. When I started looking at other service items, I realized the bike had been grossly neglected. At that point, I ended up tearing the bike apart to the frame, as well as stripping the entire harness and going through every inch of it. Without doing all this, I knew I’d never feel comfortable going anywhere on the bike. I love the bike, though.

20. CausticYarn

Not this one.

Great care went into maintaining this old gal, I will continue doing the same.

I am so darn excited about this first go at learning the electrical system, that I wasn’t even mad about getting stranded :crackup:

ducnut likes this.