1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multistrada 1260S

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

How much do these bikes weight ?(wet weight plus full-ish panniers) Are they any fun riding twisty mountain roads?

2. They are heavy. Well, not cruiser heavy. But they are heavy when comparing them to race bikes. They will end up being around 500lbs and maybe even more depending on how much shit you carry.

When I take trips I bring a lot of shit. Tools, heavy locks, extra shoes, etc. All of that stuff adds up.

But once on the bike, you don’t feel it. The suspension accounts for it and the brakes are more than up to the task.

I’ve ridden Deals Gap, Cherohala, etc with my Triumph Sprint ST fully loaded (saddlebags, tail pack, and tank bag) and had no problems keeping up with sport bikes. The photog got a picture of me knee-down with the saddlebags on. It looked funny.

The Multistrada is 10x the bike that Sprint was, so I’m sure it will be good fun, even loaded up.

Of course like all scenarios, it comes down to the rider. But the bike is more than capable. I’ve seen several Multistradas at track days (obviously not with saddlebags).

Phl218 likes this.
  3. opinion914

opinion914 Well-Known Member

Only complaint's with my '14 Multi GT would be wind noise/buffeting and low rpm grunt, or lack of.
    Solve these two and I wouldn't own a car.
    The trendy solution for the buffeting seems to be a smaller windscreen. Counterproductive?
    Best bike I've owned regardless. And the wheelies..... :)

Gorilla George and Phl218 like this.
  4. Supposedly the low end grunt is much improved with the new 1262cc motor. The reviews I read said that was a common complain in years past, and the main reason for the new motor. This new motor makes 85% of its torque down at 3.5k rpm. So it should pull well down low.

5. Can anyone confirm if the gas tank lid/base is the same on the 1260 as previous years?

I am trying to make sure if this will fit.
    https://www.amazon.com/Ducati-96780...5363366&sr=8-18&keywords=multistrada+tank+bag

Givi makes the tanklock bases for Ducati (the Ducati specific ones on the Ducati website are made by Givi).

That one says it fits all the other MTS, I just don't know if the 1260 got a different gas tank.

6. I wish there were smaller tank bags available. The main reason why I like the magnetic ones is because they sit down low, and I can slide them back towards me.

I don't like ones that are tall, or ones that sit way up at the very top. That's the main reason I have avoided the ones that mount to the gas cap. I don't like it when they are big/tall, and noticeable when looking at the dash.

The smallest one I have found is a Givi that is 3 liters.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The don't put a tank bag on it. You'll have luggage, no need for more.

8. The problem is that I also don’t like shit in my pockets.

I like a tank bag for my phone, wallet, chap stick, bottle of water, granola bar, wet wipe for cleaning my visor etc. Stuff that I might want to grab quickly while stopped for a second.

My favorite one is made by ICON. It is the length and height of a 16oz bottle of water, and about 5-6” wide. It was small, but perfect for what I needed. But it is magnetic.

I could probably make due without one though.

9. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

What do you bring tools for? Does Livengood ride on the back? :crackup:

XFBO, ChemGuy, joec and 3 others like this.
  10. :crackup:

At the end of each day I like to check the chain tension, make sure bolts have vibrated loose, etc.

I don't go rebuilding the motor or no shit like that. :D

11. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

[​IMG]

12. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

:crackup: Sabre for the ko!!! :crackup:

Sabre699 and ryoung57 like this.
  13. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

So you are saying something like this? :D
    [​IMG]

14. Don't insult little dude like that. I am sure he is much better at working on bikes than I am. :D

Sabre699 and bleacht like this.
  15. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Quite a stretch to call any of these things "touring bikes". In this class the SDR or Tuono would be my only choices. The 1260 is awesome, I guess I'm just not a Ducati guy. If money and space are not concerns, why not get a new Wing and something sportier for short trips?

16. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

I just sold the same bike you're looking at Chris. We didn't cut down the Termi can on this one tho.

Robby, have you had a chance to really ride the '18 Pikes Peak? The bike rips and feels a lot lighter than the touring. I agree, the Touring does ride like a Caddy, but the Ohlins on the PP is really nice. Once it's set up, I really prefer it over the Skyhook.

If you do move forward with the Touring Chris, you're an idgit if you change the wheel color. The bronze wheels look awesome in person.

Whatever you do, get the fog lights.

turbulence likes this.
  17. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Wait, are you putting the MULTI in the same class as an SDR and Tuono??

Gorilla George and turbulence like this.
  18. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

Agreed. The SD GT is comparable (would be my choice in this segment) but certainly not the SD or Tuono.

19. Tristan

The Tuono certainly leans more toward Sportbike, but the SDR is a set of bags away from being a direct competitor (I'd just say SDGT, but they managed to uglify it too much).

20. Tristan

You guys are probably right, but I'm thinking what I'd be shopping for with my money (if I had that much)