1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving to the South

Discussion in 'General' started by Trent, Nov 2, 2020.

1. Trent

Trent I just wanna ride motorcycles and eat pizza

My fiance and I are looking to move from CA to the south, most likely GA but we're open to other states. Let me state:

We will not be bringing any bullshit CA politics with us!

We live in a red county, in a red city and live our lives (and vote) accordingly, so no one should be concerned we are trying to "Californicate" your state/town.

That said, I was hoping some could chime in regarding your area and provide some info as to cost of living, job market, proximity to tracks, weather, things to do, political vibe, and anything else.

Also, others that may have made a similar move, what was your experience? Giant pain in the ass? Worth it?

Thank you

Shenanigans and cav115 like this.
  2. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Greenville SC. I live here. C'mon, it's a great place.

cav115, evakat and BHP41 like this.
  3. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Most of the time I say we are full but given your statement. Goergia's a pretty good place to live...

4. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Fellow Trent here... well, Trenton, actually.

Texas is full... sorry.

:D

I kid... come on down.

5. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Georgia is badass. Same thing with Eastern Tenn, and Western NC. And upstate SC.

6. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

FYI: many people are doing the same. Double your budget for moving, as rental trucks/moving vans are at a very high premium.

NorCal or SouCal? Native? Career needs? Got kids?

[edit] OK, I see NorCal

7. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

get used to a lot of yalls ... depending on the part of GA. which part of GA?

8. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

GA tracks:

Road Atlanta
    Roebling Road
    Jennings GP (actually in FL but very close to GA border)

AL tracks:

Barber (GNF)
    Talladega

yamageezer, Metalhead and Sabre699 like this.
  9. aftriathlete

aftriathlete Well-Known Member

T-minus 5 seconds until @brex chimes in to tell you Utah is full. Just to be sure you aren’t thinking about Utah.

jrsamples and brex like this.
  10. Mick6R

Mick6R Well-Known Member

N GA or SE TN would be ideal location. Twisty roads, reasonable drive to half dozen tracks, all kinds of variety of out-door activities close by, and acceptable cost of living.

11. Mick6R

Mick6R Well-Known Member

LOL. Utah is still on my retirement destination list, but pretty sure there would be more taxes there, so for now it's a very nice place to visit for a week or two from time to time.

12. CBR723

CBR723 Well-Known Member

What is your job market? That's going to help unless you work entirely remote.

13. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Just remember a California conservative is to the left of our liberals and to not tell people how they did it back in California. Oh and Atlanta is the NYC of the south...

Overall you won't like it. Everyone is so ignorant, you have to marry a cousin and not wear shoes all winter. I would leave but they won't let me.

14. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

Raleigh-Durham, NC has consistently been in the top-5 places to live in the USA.

henry_carlson likes this.
  15. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Just closed on my 5 Acre jungle lot in Crystal River Florida today. :beer: 3/4 of a mile from the water , bait shop 1/3 mile , and a few boat ramps 2 miles . Life is good :D

16. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Knoxville tn.

Heaven.

17. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

I don't know you but I'm planning on visiting! I didn't realize how great CR was until long after we left Dunnellon.

motoracer1100 and ducnut like this.
  18. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Rainbow river in Dunnellon is incredible. But CR is only a stones throw from there . How could not know about CR . Don’t you have a car? ( just kidding ) :D

19. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

Greenville. Good market for jobs no matter your field. Growing. We need more Americans to balance out the shit moving here.

Atlanta is shit.
    Charlotte is shit.
    Raleigh is shit.
    Asheville is shit.
    Columbia is shit.

All are too far gone.

Knoxville is nice. Not too far gone, yet. Job market so so.

Huntsville is good but the job market is limited.

Birmingham is shit.

20. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

Always knew about it, just didn't register in my young (at the time) mind. My grandfather would take us to CR to pick up fresh shrimp when I was a kid.
    Probably floated down the Rainbow river 100 times. Always froze!

motoracer1100 likes this.