1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving to the South

Discussion in 'General' started by Trent, Nov 2, 2020.

1. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

It's a little known fact.... (sorry @In Your Corner )

There is a little spit of land in Canada Southeast of Detroit that has a lower latitude than the border between Kalifornia and Oregon.

So you technically COULD move from California to Canada and move south.

2. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Yes with 9.75% sales tax on everything.

BigBird likes this.
  3. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Huh? Metro Atlanta has been growing for 30 years, and continues so this is nothing new

4. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Theres a little room left in Maryland,but for the most part we are Foolish. Ba dum bum bum

5. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Yeah , maybe .. but I’ve been a Snowbird for the past 7 years running the same route south , and till this year , I have never seen so many tower cranes in downtown Atlanta .. Just saying

6. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

So never then?

Plus I dont care since I dont live there and have a rental house there. I want erryone to move to Cherokee so housing prices go up.:D

7. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Try the veal, huh?

8. First things first, job market is probably main thing to look at depending on what you do for a living.

9. I agree with the unless you find something ideal.

10. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

I'm on the west side of ATL, outside the perimeter 285 by quite a bit, just north of I-20......Powder Springs / Dallas area. I like it.

This used to be "the sticks", not no more.

You could literally not PAY ME to go inside the perimeter, or anywhere close to downtown. There is nothing there I need......Airport is the closest I get, besides working in Marietta but not much longer.

My folks and brothers live in Rock Hill SC, just south of Charlotte. They left Charlotte about 10 yrs ago. Charlotte never really "clicked" with me. Joined the Navy there and left......not raised there.

Sister and nephews live near Raleigh, and seem content there.....they are out in the stick tho.....sister in Fuquway farina (???) area

Good luck with the move!

11. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

It might be a wonderful place, but every time I go there I seem to be in the middle of a traffic apocalypse. I renovated about 20 Hardee's in Georgia from 08-10 and had to travel that way often...always traffic hell. I raced at RA back in 2016...traffic hell coming and going. It's like Nashville, they never actually complete a road project...they simply start another one. Then again I have no clue how anyone can live where it is nothing but a constant traffic jam.

12. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Well-Known Member

I'll let you in on a little secret. St Johns County, FL. Great weather, great schools, reasonable cost of living, red enough to make Atilla the Hun uncomfortable, Daytona an hour away, Jennings two hours.

13. Trent

Trent I just wanna ride motorcycles and eat pizza

Thank you all for the replies, very much appreciated! For a little more context, I work in financial services (Series 7, 66, 24) and the future wife ran the office for a chiropractor. We are both currently unemployed.

We would rent for at least 6 months to determine where we want to be in a given area. We aren't interested in "neighborhoods" per se, but rather a third of an acre or more, the more the better. We are country people at heart, though we currently only own 4 guns and the only magazine is Roadracing World. :)

I lived in Alpharetta for about 6 months back in 1999 and really liked but I know it has grown quite a bit. We are looking for the outskirts or perhaps in/around Savannah. We do have friends in Raleigh but also would consider TN, AL, SC, maybe MS, KY...

Thanks again!

14. CharlieY

Yep, That's part of the reason I dont go anywhere close to Atlanta.

I believe the worst is the I-85 / 285 area and north.......Gwinett, lilburn.....I quit going to Charlotte that way it sucked so bad. I go out I-20 and hit I-77 now. Its "Physically" longer, but quicker than I-85.

I'm west, and Road Atlanta is 70 miles from me......it has taken me 3 HOURS to get to road atlanta, leaving my place at 6am....TOTAL clusterfack of an area.

Tally and Barber are a snap for me.

Roebling, backroads to south of town ATL aint bad.....same for Jennings.

Kershaw, taking the I-20 route aint bad.....going I-85 Greenville suks (sorry MH)

I'm thinking about looking WEST of CARTERSVILLE actually.....creeping your way RD400!

rd400racer likes this.
  15. TSWebster

TSWebster Well-Known Member

Still miss the old Cycle News East t-shirts that said “we don’t care how the hell they do it in California.”

YamahaRick and Trent like this.
  16. CharlieY

You could not pay me to live in Alpharetta today (sorry folks), Most of folks who like it seem to "Need" other people....like subdivision cults.

Are you saying you can work from home? If YES, that changes EVERYTHING for the better......there are chiropractors everywhere.

I'm kinda thinking about Rome, Ga area.

Outside Savannah is really nice. I have heavily evaluated south of there on the coast....the area between sav and Jacksonville there are some nice spots.....a friend just built in Darien, Ga......Brunswick.....South of Jekyl to St. Mary's is "open territory".

Good luck sir!

Trent likes this.
  17. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

They key is to live is the urban suburbs of big cities. Like at least 30-45min out. You still get the southern feel without the hectic city vibe and traffic.

G2G, Trent and Gorilla George like this.
  18. muguvian

muguvian Well-Known Member

I left SoCal 14 yrs ago and went to the NC coast, about 2 hrs from Raleigh. Hated it and moved to Huntsville, AL this year with a nice pay raise and much improved market for everything. The job market here is red hot for STEM types with multiple defense industry contractors and aerospace manufacturers supporting the "Pentagon of the South" at Redstone Arsenal. Not sure about other fields, but there are $billions coming into the local economy so most should benefit. The housing market supply is not in a buyer's favor right now with all of the relocating jobs coming in, but if you want some land in the sticks there is plenty on all sides of Huntsville/Madison. The TN border is 10 miles from where I live so commuting from there is also an option.
    Also might want to consider the effect of hurricanes if you look within 100 miles of a coast. I got sick of being hit 2-3 times each year with the fallout from storms pounding NC. Where we were there were mosquito swarms, mold damage, hog farm runoff polluting all the waterways, power outage for multiple days, insurance gouging, etc. Got old real fast.

OGs750 likes this.
  19. FourThreeSix

FourThreeSix Well-Known Member

I'm envious. I'm a GA transplant living in CA. I would love to get back that way.

20. Yes.