1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motogp crapenings.

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave K, Apr 20, 2020.

1. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I don't remember Valentino losing much if any time due to injuries until his broken leg in 2010 at the age of ~31.

scottn likes this.
  2. joec

joec brace yourself

That's what I'm saying. The greats seem to bring new something to the sport that changes it. It's a little more subtle with mm but it's definitely there. The riding has definitely changed. You could say that really started with simo though. Easy to forget his ability.

SpeedyE likes this.
  3. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Correct, and he also wasn't a crashed either. He's probably crashed more in the last 5-6 years than in the first 15 or so years of his career.

evakat and cBJr like this.
  4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I think I'm the only one who believes that regularly un-crashing yourself from front-end slides takes at least as much skill and reflexes as avoiding a highside. I'm sure he would've been the best on a 500 as well after racing 125s and 250s.
    Biaggi won the first 500 race he entered and finished second in the championship that year. His name has never come up in any GOAT discussion of any kind.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
  5. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

No you're not the only one.

Who's Biaggi? just another one of those nobodies that Rossi had to race while racking up a bunch of wins against untalented bums?

masshole, Quicktoy and Wheel Bearing like this.
  6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Biaggi would be on my list of top 5 250 racers of all time. Yeah, best equipment (most of the time) and his team held his hand, wiped his nose and tushy and built him up but he was a machine on two-five-zeros.

500s? He was damn good but so was the rest of the grid (well, most of it).

WSBK, he was a gawd damn gawd again but a bit too all over the place.

stk0308 likes this.
  7. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Gotta give the mad emperor mad props. IIRC he didn’t swing a leg over a bike until around his 70th birthday. ;)

8. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Biaggi and Simoncelli were my fav 250 riders. Cannot believe Marco will be gone 10 years next year. Doesn't seem like it was that long ago.

9. PPPope

PPPope Well-Known Member

Wow, that seems like just a few years ago.

10. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Put them in a bar and pick a fight... MM down! :D

11. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

My money is on Kenny Roberts Sr in that one.

Cawk Star and cav115 like this.
  12. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I remember seeing Schwantz do it.

SpeedyE likes this.
  13. PPPope

PPPope Well-Known Member

Yep, someone posted a video of it a while back...Donington Park, into the esses?

Likewise, Marc’s elbow drag was done previous to even CS27...there’s a pic of a French rider on I believe a Yamaha 500 doing the business, elbow on deck.

14. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I remember seeing pictures of the French rider, I want to say that was in the early 90's, but he wasn't really ever a factor that I recall.

For me the difference with Marc's elbow drags is how often he does it and saves a crash. I don't remember anyone before Marc, consistently doing that? If someone did save a crash, we all thought it was just a lucky save. Where with Marc, he actually seems to have a consistent talent at saving a front end slide that others don't have.

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Jean-Philippe Ruggia

SpeedyE and Boman Forklift like this.
  16. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

I'm probably wrong but I think it was Christian Sarron.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

He was the only guy out there who didn't even put his knee down. :)

SpeedyE likes this.
  18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Probably seconds before he dragged his elbow and crashed. Ruggia spent more time in the air then an U2.

SpeedyE likes this.
  19. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

Cristian sarron.jpg

20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

No, he was the first guy consistently dragging his elbow.