1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoGP Austin 2019-Travel Info Request

Discussion in 'General' started by Newyork, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Newyork

Newyork Dip Mode

So my wonderful wife is taking me to Austin for my 40th bday to see the GP/MA action in April. I’m looking for info from anyone who has booked a similar trip in the recent past as there are countless options out there...we’re looking to go sat/sun and get paddock access if possible. (without spending $1200 each).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigBird likes this.
  2. yuengling910

yuengling910 Loose Cannon

We went last year and had a great time. Stayed near the airport and it was an easy 25 minute drive to the track every morning. We did not have pit passes so I can't say whether or not they'd be worth it. We ordered the 3 day passes that allowed you to pick a different grandstand every day. There are plenty of places to watch with General Admission. We spent the majority of our time walking around to watch from different General Admission Areas around the perimeter of the track and then sat in our seats for the races. We watched the Moto2 and GP races from the T15 Grandstand which had good viewing of the tight section back there. T1 was also cool (we watched the Moto 3 race from there). You can walk around the majority of the track and the entire T2-T11 section is awesome. My favorite corner to watch was T10. You can see the Moto2 and GP bikes sliding sideways and then pin it on the curbing. If you haven't been to a MotoGP race, you will be impressed.

The facilities are pretty nice. There is food and drink available everywhere you go. They had a lot of vendors and displays set up all over the place. Be prepared to walk a lot if you want to get the full experience. Parking was good, we got there early and had parking passes for Lot T. There are a few sections that had big screens with the live TV feed so you could see what was going on. The PA system kind of sucks, so if you're not near a screen, it can be hard to keep up with the action. I had the video pass playing on my phone but it was delayed.

Austin is an awesome city. There are plenty of good bars and restaurants Downtown. Check out the Handbuilt Motorcycle Show while you're down there.

turbulence likes this.
  3. gabriel

gabriel Well-Known Member

Yes agree on T15 i was there 2 yrs ago def a good spot.I had the paddock pass as well it was ok u get to see cool shit as well as riders.I got plenty of pictures of diff riders with my son.Could of got more but i def dont feel like battleing with kids & girls for a autograph lol but if u into that then yeah but they only have a limited amount so it would be best to get it soon

Locals close to the track rent space for parking way cheaper then the track but like yuengling910 said be prepared to walk,weather u park in or outside the track & def get there early.

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

got a hookup at the ticket office...lot N camping and 3 GA passes was $500. PM me if you wanr the guys digits

Newyork and Phl218 like this.
  5. Phl218

Phl218 .

Camped 2 years ago and had team passes. The drive sucked donkey balls but being right at the track was really nice.

This year we flew, tent camped at the KOA austin east and splurged on vip passes. It was stellar. Vip parking passes and shuttle service rocked!

jonathanp and TurboBlew like this.
  6. TurboBlew

yes and scooters park for free downtown! Looks like its 14 miles from Lot N to downtown. :D

Phl218 likes this.
  7. Phl218

Phl218 .

Better not park on 6th st

8. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

The 4 hour drive for me is not so bad, but to the original question look for an air B and B, by far a better experience.

Newyork and Phl218 like this.
  9. Muz720

Muz720 Well-Known Member

Rented a house though VRBO just outside of Downtown. Near the college, great town lots to do, food, music, bike show House was maybe 40 mins from the track stayed for a week .Did general admission. Walked a bunch, make sure you have good shoes and sun screen not much shade . Turn one was a good place to watch. I think turn ten was my favorite . Didn't do the pit pass. But will next time. Vender area was awesome.We did manage to sneak inside one of the hospitality tents for about 45 mins or so ...and that was fun..Just a great time. Enjoy

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  10. Newyork

Newyork Dip Mode

Where did you purchase the tickets? I found 5 different sites that sell them.
    We’re going to fly and rent a car for sure so sounds like VIP parking will be the best idea no matter what due to the amount of people flocking to the track that weekend.

11. Newyork

Newyork Dip Mode

Thank you all very much for your replies...sounds like I am in for a good time!

12. hurricanejohn

hurricanejohn Professional Amateur

The 3 day flex pass for $199 is a great deal. You can choose 3 different seating areas (grandstands, T1 and T15). Turn 15 is good but very hot if the sun is out (bring plenty of sunscreen). Paddock passes run $250 but that gets all three days and well worth it to get close to the riders. Paddock passes are limited and will sell out very fast so grab one as soon as you can. Call Zach Flynt at COTA 512-655-6258. He has handled all of our stuff at COTA for the past few years and will definitely get you squared away.

turbulence and Newyork like this.
  13. Newyork

Newyork Dip Mode

Exactly what I was looking for! Thank you!!!!

14. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

thanks for the info so far guys. i’ll be making my first trip out there this year and am excited.

Newyork likes this.
  15. TurboBlew

what happens? :D

16. Phl218

Phl218 .

You might end up with 2 scooters where you parked 1

TurboBlew likes this.
  17. Newyork

Newyork Dip Mode

Got my paddock passes today $250 a piece like said...they are running low on them so if you’re thinking of buying one do so soon.

Gonna get the tickets soon bc they’re another $400.

18. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

tickets to this are seriously $400?

19. Newyork

Newyork Dip Mode

$189 a piece for turn 15 upper
    $199 a piece for multiple turn seating

The paddock passes are extra $250 each. This is once in a lifetime move on my part so I’m going for it!

turbulence likes this.
  20. Joe Lopez

Joe Lopez Well-Known Member

Rent an RV.
    Camp out at Parking Lot N.
    Been doing that for the past two years and won't do the hotel anymore. The atmosphere/parties that go on after hours are the best. Plus, you're right by Turn 3 which has the bridge walkway to get to the other side.
    Not to mention just walk back to the trailer/RV between sessions for replenishing.
    Do it.
    Thank me later.

TurboBlew, turbulence and Phl218 like this.